DB DAWG - "4Stroke Quieter" Insert

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
http://www.ignitionproducts.com/Ignition/files/db_Dawg_web.pdf

I haven't been on DRN a lot lately, but I've been hearing a lot about this product lately and this place has always been a great forum for parts / tech discussion, etc. I did a search, but didn't find any threads on it, which surprised me from the site that launched LOUD SUCKS, etc. There is a review of it over there, but was surprised not to see any mention of it on the front page, etc.

http://www.loudsucks.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20

This cheap little device seems to get great reviews by everyone, but why isn't it being promoted & pushed more? Do many on here have it and use it? Any additional feedback on performance (both sound reducing and actual effect on power)?

I guess if it is as good an inexpensive as it seems, I'm surprised there isn't a push for it in the area of noise reduction as there was for the Leatt in the area of injury reduction (I know it's a stretched comparison, but plz don't turn this into a thread about that).

It seems like something I'd be trying if I rode a 4stroke, but since I haven't tried one personally, I'm just left to wonder why more who do ride thumpers aren't using them and getting the word out.

I'm in no way affiliated other than I want to see dirtbikes get quiter before they are silenced all together.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I think the reason you don't see much about this has to do with the basic engineering of devices like this. Plugging up the exhaust will certainly quiet the bike down but it also has a huge impact on system back pressure and how the engine reacts during the critical overlap period of the cam timing where both intake and exhaust valves are open at the same time.

Late model four-strokes designed for high rpm running don't take kindly to big increases in backpressure, so while it most certainly will work at changing the sound levels it will do so at the expense of engine performance.

For some folks the performance hit versus sound trade-off is acceptable, but I'm convinced that most riders would GLADLY ride a quieter bike if they didn't have to do it at the expense of response and overall performance. Unfortunately simple restrictor devices like this won't cover both requirements so I don't expect a mad rush to buy this type of product.

xsnrg

Jul 20, 2004
Rich, you always seem to be right, but in this case I hope you are wrong... if it works as well as the reviews have all said with as little hit on power as they report, it's a shame not to make that trade off IMO. To read "Stealth"'s review, it sounds like he says it made his power better overall. I don't know, but something has to give! Thanks for the feedback as always.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Unfortunately there is nothing "magical" about this thing, and it can't defy the laws of physics, so Caveat emptor. ;)

Hopefully the company will be smart enough to offer a money back guarantee. This is definitely one of those products that people should try themselves and determine if the tradeoffs are acceptable for them.

Top Bottom