DDRT Keg Run Enduro - So Cal - April 21st

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
... another TWMC enduro this coming weekend. Novice, Amateur, Expert and Master classes. Start time at 9 AM on Sunday. Novices usually go 40 to 55 miles. The upper classes go a bit further ...

April 21st - Sunday

TWMC's 18th annual DDRT Keg Run, at Hannah's Hole (off HWY 395, near Red Mountain).

Directions:

Take I-15 north to HWY 395 (16 miles). Take HWY 395 north about 77 miles (thru Johannesburg (sp?), down into Fremont Valley, cross the RR tracks, go about 2 miles past Garlock road, as you crest the hill and bank left, look for a cattle crossing sign, just past that is the dirt road turnoff). Look for TWMC arrows pointing to your right. Follow dirt road and TWMC arrows about 1 mile to camp.

From Mojave: go 21 miles north on HWY 14. Take the Redrock Randsburg turnoff just past Jawbone Canyon. Go 12 miles to the Garlock turnoff. Take the left fork. Go 8 miles to HWY 395. Turn left and go about 2 miles, as you crest the hill and bank left, look for a cattle crossing sign, just past that is the dirt road turnoff.

itsdave

Feb 25, 2002
What do I need to participte

I have never participated in an Enduro.. anything special I need to participate.. or anything I need to know?

Last edited:

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
I'll be heading out late Saturday afternoon .. I'm tenting it. It's just too much for me to drive the whole way and then race as soon as I arrive. Plus it's more fun to hang on Saturday with the members.

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
How far away is this ride from the "Bay Area"? Is it a doable distance? It sounds like fun. Do all the D-37 enduros have a novice class? D-36 doesn't have one (I don't think). I'd much rather ride 45-50 miles than 70-85 miles. What can you tell a Nor-cal spode about this fine event?!

the Eel

~SPONSOR~
Sep 23, 2000
It would be quite a drive for you from the Bay area - probably 4 or 5 hours at normal speeds.

ScottYZ250

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 24, 1999
All the good rides seem to be too far away. :whiner:

Have fun guys and gals, sounds like a fun event!

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Looks like we'll make it for both days, but will stay at Ridgecrest Sat. night.

A couple of questions about enduro course markers.

1. At the Running Cactus, there was a rectangular white sign with black numerals (shortly after the start) that said "2.9". Was this a "pie plate" reset?
If so, I was expecting a round sign. :o

2. I heard someone mention the "twenty mile post". Was I hearing things, or is this a real feature?

All enduro nuts feel free to reply. :confused:

JWW

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 13, 2000
Holeshot..... Im pretty sure thats to calibrate your odometer. I think its a district rule.

Also you mentioned staying in Ridgecrest.... Is there a motel there? Is it close to the riding area?

Im driving out Sunday morning only because I dont feel like sleeping on the ground. If this place is close and has accomadations I might come out Sat.

thumbs

Tony 'da Rat
Oct 16, 2000
I'll be arriving Saturady night around 7 or 8pm.

Jeff - Just bring a bunch of blankets and sleep in the back of your truck. I'll be doin' the old tent and air matress thing myself.

Ron - All mileage markers will/should show the mileage only. If your odo does not match what the sign/pie plate says change it to match (change your odo not the sign). If it is a reset it will/should say "reset from XX.X to YY.Y"

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
There are a few motels in Ridgecrest, and a couple even look decent. I'm looking at the map now, and it appears to be about 10 to 15 miles from the hotel/ restaurants on China Lake Blvd to the enduro site.

scar tissue

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 27, 2000
Nope not gonna do it, not this time, can't, would really like to,wish things were different, I just need a little space, I'm feeling a bit trapped, I feel a need to open up and really do some good high level bonding, I'm sorry I gotta go find someone to hug :whiner:

Unfortunately, I've got other plans so you have to build your own fires this weekend.

Have fun guys. I won't be.

Jimbo1

Jan 30, 2002
Hey Guys,

I am in Indiana right now, but I will be moving to China Lake (Ridgecrest) in August. I am really interested in seeing what the riding is like out there, so if any of you take pics... please send me some!

Jimbo

JILLnJIM@prodigy.net

Jimbo1

Jan 30, 2002
Wow.... I am impressed with your enthusiasm. I didn't realize this was going to be such a cool move. However, I have always been a woods trail rider. This "open area" riding looks kinda strange to me. Maybe I should look to replace my KDX 200 with something more fitting to the desert??

Jimbo

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by Jimbo1
I didn't realize this was going to be such a cool move. However, I have always been a woods trail rider. This "open area" riding looks kinda strange to me. Maybe I should look to replace my KDX 200 with something more fitting to the desert??

Yep: the best of both Calif. has to offer. Not only are you soooo close to some of the best desert riding, but one hour drive put you into extrordinary woods riding: Kern Plateau (Kennedy Meadows). Stream crossings, pines, aspens, granite, etc.; in two full days, youmight be able to travel on half of the single track available.

Aug. isn't the best time in Ridgecrest; awfully hot (but arid; not humid like other parts of the US) so a trip to the cooler peaks (8k') are certainly in order. Once it cools down in late Sept/Oct, then look for spending time in the dez. You'll enjoy the open space, freedom of the expanse.

Keep that KDX for now.

Kiwi & GSR may have some pix of the mountain riding up the Kern. Check the TWMC website for dez pix; they have an enduro almost every month in the dez your (new) way.

bishop_d

Oct 12, 2001
placelast, haven't seen you out in ages! Where ya been?

You missed a great time keeping event. Well part of it anyway.

I had a great time at the DDRT! Saturday riding with the family and later enjoying the adult beverage entertainment was awsome. Sundays course was in my opinion the best of the year for TWMC! Lots of time keeping, but a few fast sections to seperate the Men and Boys.

I'll be heading out next week to help lay out the High Desert Enduro in the same basic area. This will be a great event for everyone from Beginner to Expert to ride. With a rule twist or two, this will be a real time keeper!

Everyone, don't forget your Favorite Chili for the Cookoff Saturday night and a lawn chair to watch the live Supercross Coverage brodcast!
deano...

placelast

Apr 11, 2001
Originally posted by bishop_d
placelast, haven't seen you out in ages! Where ya been? missed a great time keeping event...Sundays course was in my opinion the best of the year for TWMC!

Say it ain't so, dude! I figured last year's event was impossible to beat as it rained the day before, traction was at an all-time high :)

We've been busy with family affairs; scholastic tests, tennis tournaments, & job hunting. Re: the latter, my wife feels better trimming recreation time; hope it doesn't get to the point where the bikes hafta go :(

bishop_d

Oct 12, 2001
Originally posted by placelast

Say it ain't so, dude! I figured last year's event was impossible to beat as it rained the day before, traction was at an all-time high :)

We've been busy with family (stuff), & job hunting. Re: ...wife :p (says no)recreation time; hope it doesn't get to the point where the bikes hafta go :(

Well the camping sure was better than last year, but the conditions were very very dusty!
Sorry to hear about the job hunting situation... makes it hard to justify spending money on riding... Hope you find something soon. I would hate to see you have to sell those bikes :( !

deano...

Top Bottom