berner

Oct 8, 2006
I just bought a brand new 2007 ktm 250sxf and i am going to start racing woods with it.(woods racing experience on 85) I have been trying to practice my dead engin starts on it but it semms to be reakky hard to get going does anybody have a technique to getting there big thumpers started up on the line? :bang:

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
get your jetting dialed...pilot on that bike is critical as well as setting the proper idle speed. You should have roughly 1mm of opening at the slide/throat on the engine side. Too high of idle setting and you are never going to start easy. Too low and it will stall easy. I always ran a Hard Parts hour meter/tach and set my idle at roughly 1950-2000 rpm w/ a 42 pilot and approx 1.5-2 turns on the fuel screw. This is based on non-elevation jetting. Also, get used to not touching that throttle until it starts. Probably the best mod you can make for hare scrambles and dead-engine starts is a Rekluse. That bike doesn't like to start in gear w/ a regular clutch.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Start your kick with the piston just a hair past top dead center. Find TDC by slowly kicking through - you will feel the compression of the compression stroke. As the compression eases, you have just past TDC. Return the kickstarter to the top of its stroke, and leave it there until you need to kick if for real.

Kicking from this position lets the motor build up maximum speed for the next compression stroke, increasing the chances it will fire. Coming off an 85 or a 125 2t, you probably never needed to learn this, but it really helps with bigger bikes and 4 strokes.

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
Dave, TDC on the SXF is no big deal anymore. In fact, old thumper riders are making more work out of the engine than it has to be. One of the other problems is guys are overkicking the bike. Just a smooth, full kick...not too hard or fast as it will actually spin the engine too fast. I thought it was BS at first, but my dealer echoed what I had read on some other bulletin boards and magazines.

Top Bottom