Dealer refuses warranty service because bike was bought at another dealer?

kwb377

Dec 30, 2004
I just took my '06 Honda Rancher ATV to a the local dealer for warranty work (electronic shift mechanism snafu'ed). After dropping it off, I got a call from the owner. Upon returning, he asked where I bought the ATV and I advised him it was at another dealer out of state. He stated that he would not service the machine because it was not purchsased at his dealer, and he would not deal with "their" warranty problem (funny, I thought it was a "Honda" warranty problem). He said, "It's a business decision...if you buy it here, I'll treat you like a king. You expect me to put your's ahead of these other two that bought their's here (I never asked to be put ahead of anyone...I dropped it off with the expectation of having to leave it a week or two)." I asked about my other two Hondas that I bought used (not from him), if he would service them, "Sure".

I understand that it's his business and he can refuse service to anyone he please's, but I just can't imagine that Big H would condone that type of customer service when it comes to their products. I've never had any problem with my cars/trucks/bikes when getting them serviced at another dealer than where I purchased them. And not only did he lose my future service business (and what Mother Honda would have paid him for the warranty work), but I gave him back their business card with the quote for a new BRP/Can-Am ATV that I had just looked at also.

Anyone else ever have this kind of problem of a factory licensed dealer refusing sevice because you didn't buy the unit there?

For those in the area (to keep you from driving there only to find out they won't work on your machine), the dealer in question is:

The Sport Center (Honda/Suzuki/Bombardier)
Cullman, Alabama
256-734-7636
Joe Quattlebaum - owner

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
If it's still under the FACTORY warranty period call Honda and let them know. It would seem to be a rather poor "business decission" to treat you that way and now I doubt you'll go back when it is time for a new toy.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
What Patman said. He has no right, at all, to refuse to honor the warranty. That "business decision" is the kind of thing that will get your franchise yanked.

Here's the contact info for Customer Service for American Honda:

If you wish to comment on your experiences with your Honda product or with your Dealer, please send your comments to the following address (U.S. only):

Motorcycle Division,
American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
P.O. Box 2200
Torrance, CA 90509-2200

Mail stop: 100-4C-7B
Telephone: (866) 784-1870

NOTE: Please have the following information available when making contact with American Honda:

Name, address and telephone number

Product model, year and V.I. Number or H.I. Number

Date of purchase

Dealer name and address

Go get 'em. Make Mr. Quattlebaum regret his "business decision."

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
He should be obligated too work on your atv.. I could se where he would take care of his customers first though.. I would be leary of taking my stuff into his shop or ever purchasing there, especially if you call Honda on him

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
While there is no question that the dealer should have honored Honda's warranty, you'd have to be out of your mind to ask them to work on anything of yours AFTER you drop a dime on them to Honda HQ. If you decide to do it, I would strongly suggest finding a new dealer to work with.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
I agree with Rich on that as well. With that said, I wouldn't patronize that shop again anyway since the guy is a sleazy businessman.

I'd still nail them on it.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
At the very least, call Honda so the next unsuspecting poor sap doesn't get sleazed by this dealer. Too many people let this stuff go, Honda Corp WANTS to know when one of their dealers acts this way. They won't condone it, but if you don't tell them they have know way of knowing they have a bad seed in their dealer network.

Let us know what happens after you call Honda Corp. Don't let him get by with just taking your business elsewhere. Protect the next guy he tries to rip off.

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
I think theres 2 sides too the story.. SOunds odd that a dealer would say that outright.. I definately would not take it back into him if you call Honda on him.. FOr starters, is he a ATV Dealer??

gearhead730

Mar 25, 2006
This happened to me also but in a different way. I work for a large construction company in ohio. I called about a warranty claim on a piece of equipment and was told since we didn 't buy it from them they wouldn 't fix it. I think this a sales strategy that is going around in all dealers not just motorcycles.Besides the dealers are making more money on parts than the sale of a bike to you.You would cringe if you knew what any dealer car,motorcycle,heavy equipment made on parts its sickening!!!!! :(

kwb377

Dec 30, 2004
rickyd said:
I think theres 2 sides too the story.. SOunds odd that a dealer would say that outright.. I definately would not take it back into him if you call Honda on him.. FOr starters, is he a ATV Dealer??

Yes, he is a Honda ATV/motorcycle/watercraft dealer (in addition to Suzuki and Bombardier/Can-Am). I quoted him verbatim...if you'd like to verify, I posted the owner's name and phone number in the original post. He wasn't irate or rude, just matter of factly refused to service it. I just found it surprising that a licensed Honda retailer/service center would outright refuse to do warranty work (or that American Honda would condone such a practice).

I contacted Honda this morning (they advised that he cannot refuse to perform warranty service on a Honda), but it will be tomorrow (when he reopens) before they can contact him, then get back to me. I also took the Rancher to another Honda dealer this morning - Icon Powersports in Trussville, AL - who had no problems whatsoever taking it in for repair (in fact, they kept apologizing that they were backed up and might have to keep it a week).

rickyd

Hot Sauce
Oct 28, 2001
If you do call Honda on him I (i'd be PO'd if i were you) i wouldnt take it back too him, or any other of my Honda's.. Weird though he would work on your other Honda's that you didnt buy there.. Wonder if there is a rif going on between him and the dealer you bought from..

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
late to the party as usual, I am.

don't assume that warrantee work is "gravy work". Sometimes there's considerably less profit in it than average, routine service work.

While it's understandable that he would take care of established customers first, verbalizing this to a potential new customer seems pretty dumb, in my opinion. Many dealers would put you in the back of the line, but not tell you that you were, or why.

I'll put another spin on it though...from the dealer's standpoint it wouldn't be the stupidest thing to put you AHEAD of the routine customers. Why? Well, they are already established, and will probably keep coming back unless the service is really unreasonable. You, on the other hand as a new customer, may be choosing between several dealers and so every detail counts. You have no loyalty to this particular dealership.

DWreck

~SPONSOR~
Apr 14, 2002
I had a friend here in Stillwater who had a similar experience while getting ready to buy a bike. He was trying to bargain and had a better price from a dealer in another town. Dealer flat out told him that if he didn't buy from him his bike would set in the shop for a couple of months before he got around to fixing it regardless of whether he was busy or not.

Friends comment: You've told me all I need to know.

He decided to change brands completely, got a good deal on a nice bike and was able to keep his business in town. Not everyone is that lucky.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
motometal said:
While it's understandable that he would take care of established customers first, verbalizing this to a potential new customer seems pretty dumb, in my opinion.

Putting you at the back of the line is one thing. Refusing to do warranty service at all (which is what this clown did), because you didn't buy it here, is entirely another.

Not being gravy is just too bad; you want a franchise, you do warranty work.

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
mtk said:
OK, you caught me; it's just because I'm an SOB. :laugh:

No, you're not. :p

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
mtk said:
My mother will be happy to hear that one. ;)

No, she won't. :nener:

Top Bottom