CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Hucker,
now that I read your post again, I think I misunderstood it the first time. Sorry about getting a little smart.

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
KC_DOG

Since I have my own business my time=money. If your on the company dime your costing them something...just you don't see it. I do. If I'm stopping work to shop around by telephone during working hours, that means I'm not on the job earning money and thats just as expensive as actually spending cash.:)

Shopping online after hours is better but I still have stuff to do.

Shopping by telephone longdistance is real expensive. (Add in the back of Magazines ...some don't have 800 numbers.):(

biker

Sep 22, 2000
Originally posted by nephron
I personally don't understand why everybody's gotta go out and get a good "deal". Know what? There's no g@#$%mn such thing as a good deal. This theorem is about as valid as Newton's first "law of inertia".

I don't follow your line of thinking. I bought a new CR 250 last year and saved about $800 off the local dealers price. He wanted over $6400 OTD. They were just hitting the showroom floors, so maybe thats why he wouldn't budge on price. I would have bought the bike if he would have come down under $6000, and that's still a high price. There is no such thing as a good deal, maybe not, but I saved $800 compared to the local shop.

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
Why would any of us buy over MSRP on any new bike? Are we that hard up to have the newest model of bike? Is it because there aren't as many bikes produced as compared to say cars? What is it?

I have never paid over and above what a car manufacturer's MSRP is, in fact they all advertise how they are selling below MSRP. SO, my question to all of you is why would you pay over MSRP for a motorcycle. It is easy to find out what the manufacturer wants for their units off their web page. As a motorcycle enthusiast when you go to buy a new bike you should expect to pay at or slightly below MSRP just due to the overall price being so low compared to a car and less room for the dealer to work with. Our local KTM dealer has a 2001 520 SX marked up $800 over MSRP and now the 2002 are in and he still has it. How tough is it going to be for him to sell it now that the 2002 are in and the new 520 is supposed to be way better this year? Well, he will probably do the same thing to the new models and someone will come in think hey I am getting a good deal on the 2001 and the dealer will win again but if only that guy would have done his research he would have known he was getting ripped off and that screws it up for everyone else down the road.

My whole side to this debate since the beginning is why would you go to your local dealer to buy parts and accessories who has marked everything up because he thinks by him having an item right there in front of you to look at and know that you want it so bad you will pay over and above the real MSRP. I have done this just like every member of this site. As I have gotten older and have a house, wife and kid on the way I am not going to do it anymore. If you are a real motorcyclist fan and you need parts, you do not need the punk kid at your local dealer to look it up because you know what you need already, all you need is part numbers. So, if I am able to save any kind of money by buying over the internet I am sure as heck going to take advantage of it. You can debate the phone order thing all you want Weimedog but you do not have to do that anymore with all the self servicing web sites that are at all of our disposal these days. No operators just microfiche parts break downs with part numbers and you put the item in your basket and you check out and they will be at your house in a couple of days.

FMX_novice

Jan 5, 2001
Compare prices with bikes, find the cheapest OTD price, remembering that if your an out of state buyer, or you know how to act like an out of state buyer(with cash) theres no tax. Buy the cheapest one you can find and be happy. Next, find the dealer that has the best service deparment, a good labor price and experienced technicians. Next, find the dealer with the best selection of OEM parts, when you need a part small part call him and find out if they have it in stock. If they dont, go to the closest dealer for small parts, for more expensive parts shop around.

biker

Sep 22, 2000
I bought a bike out-of-state and still was billed for the state tax through the mail. I bought the bike with a certified check in Mississippi and was billed later by the state of GA. The bike shop told me some states follow up on the state tax and others don't. I was a little surprised to get the bill since the bike was not titled or street legal.

Boit

Sponsoring Member
Sep 5, 2000
Biker. The same thing happened to me. Not that I'm complaining, it's just that what annoys me about vehicle taxes is that if you buy a new vehicle and then sell a few years later, the new buyer pays sales taxes on it AGAIN. I already paid taxes on the damn thing so why should it be taxed again? Isn't this double taxation? As is typical with politicians and government gobblygook, their response is that once the vehicle is resold, it becomes a different vehicle by definition. NO IT DOESN'T! This is just a ploy to rape the taxpayer again. We need another Boston Teaparty...only throw the stinking politicians in the harbor this time. Tax tax tax....waste waste waste. OK, I AM complaining...:scream:

moto1313

Oct 9, 2000
Great analogy Nephron

Boy, I hope you are not a brain surgeon. Your entire dissertation on this subject is seriously flawed. I have NO problem with a FAIR profit on anything. I deal and barter on new bikes-trucks-whatever. A dealer does have the right to send his kids to school and have nice things-just not entirely on me or my sale. So I suppose that ANY retail price on anything is the fair price and a price you are supposed to pay? It is called supply and demand my friend. NOBODY is putting a gun to a dealer's head to be in business or sell anything at the offered price. The dealer accepts an offer and a deal is made. If the retail price of things were fair there would be no such thing as a SALE price and the dealers would not ADVERTISE that they discount bikes. And those "punks" you refer to may be your next patient or they may help you off the dirt the next time you eat it. Don't be so judgemental. I would really like to flame you for your attitude but I won't. You may throw out some vague reference to something that has no relevance in a vain attempt to make yourself feel good. Well, maybe a small flame-sorry.

Top Bottom