Votes: 62 84.9%
  • Don't Do It!

Votes: 11 15.1%

• Total voters

Mully

Moderator / SuperPowers
Jun 9, 1999
Originally posted by bscottr

I need to clarify this...I meant to say "subscriber to sell". Anyone should be able to purchase.

bscottr,

That is exactly what the rule is. Unless I am reading it wrong.

Mully

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Originally posted by Truespode

The fresh blood will come... just a little slower at first. At Mototalk they were really slow after going pay to post... now the membership in increasing and it seems to be doing quite well. It has a much more clubbier feel than DRN but that is part of the attraction to those that will pay.
Ivan
for giggles I went to mototalk and noticed they have a little over 6700 members.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
Geeze, We're talking about peanuts here,....as for the young ones; when my son 'wants' something that he doesnt have the money for, I'll give him a chore to in exchange for that amount. Work well and teaches them diplomacy at the same time.

I think cleaning up the board is a great idea, people will still view all the great info, and then ponie up (if what they have to say is worth a dime!)

Keep in mind,..out of the 22k members currently signed, there is a very large percentage of those folks that have only posted a couple of times, and again a very large percentage of those members that have never been back since they joined......

Okie, I tryed to vote but got "action denied"

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Jeff Gilbert

for giggles I went to mototalk and noticed they have a little over 6700 members.

Yes and a few are Davey Coombs, David Vuilleman and Stephan Roncada (you should have seen the posts after the Atlanta race last year :p).

The point is they are gaining members and in turn revenue. They have something people want and that is to belong to the group. I believe the group here is a much better attraction b/c you have just as many members who are VIP's and a lot more who are willing to share information.

I know Okie will do what is right for DRN.

Ivan

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
Originally posted by Shaw520
Geeze, We're talking about peanuts here,....as for the young ones; when my son 'wants' something that he doesnt have the money for, I'll give him a chore to in exchange for that amount.

Let's not forget that some parents won't do that. Some are not going to give money for a kid to participate in an Internet "chat" room that is occupied mostly by male adults...

There are a lot of kids who do not have parents who can see anything beyond what they hear on TV concerning the Internet.

Ivan

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Pay to Play. DO IT. I've been out in the garage working on my bike and haad a thought , one after market part on my bike is what my LTSM cost. I've gained far more out of the membership than any of the parts.

I agree with Jay(mx547) I payed the lifetime fee so I'd be done.

DW- STM only. Great idea. The party is getting large enough.

The big thing is to continue to support the site. Use the advertisers and mention DRN. Kinda like DW, Brian and I talked about it and decided we would do everything we could to help. Showers,signs and bigtop aren't that expensive but every thing that we can do to help adds up. The site is the same as DW. It is too good to take for granted.

Lew

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 27, 2001
I don't think that the idea of having a fee schedule is wrong.&nbsp; There are always costs associated with any venture.&nbsp; As a business owner I have found that keeping it simple is usually the best approach.&nbsp; Keep the options to a minimum.&nbsp; Keeping it affordable is also top priority.&nbsp; Affordable is a subjuctive word, but it is always about&nbsp;what the public is willing to pay, yet still covering your own expenses.&nbsp;

This site is awsome.&nbsp; Like many others I stumbled onto it while looking for info on a KDX I had purchased.&nbsp; I am by far not one of the "big time" posters, but I do like to think that when I do post I am contrbuting to the productivity of this site.&nbsp; I think the off topic forums are a great way for people to get together and discuss items of everyday hussle and bussle.&nbsp; Even the runaway threads have their place.&nbsp; All this is part of human nature.

There have been some great ideas brought up in this thread and I really like&nbsp;many of them.&nbsp; Here is a list of my Ideas -

30 day&nbsp;trial membership, may read, post, and search

MEMBER - Donation/year of $$, say $5.00 minimum. May read, post, search.&nbsp;

I have been involved with some fund raisers that operated this way, and they always seemed to&nbsp;generate more $$ than the typical pre priced ticket sales.&nbsp;Sure some will only give the minimum, but others will donate higher (15, 20, 30 dollars).&nbsp; Make it easy to sign up.&nbsp; At the front page vistors see when they come to the site.&nbsp; A quick resume of what this site is and the advantages of being a member, easy navigation.

SUPPORT MEMBER - $50.00/year, All priveledges

LIFETIME MEMBER - I agree with what others have posted.&nbsp;&nbsp;Perhaps the Lifer fee is too small and a new fee should be looked at, but Lifetime means Lifetime.&nbsp; We may (I will) contribute additional&nbsp;dollars to the site to help defer the difference.&nbsp; I do believe this fee adjustment should be a "from this date on".

As for DW.&nbsp; I have never been, but have already made the arrangements to attend&nbsp; this next&nbsp;year (2003).&nbsp; I would hope that this would remain open for any member, their family,&nbsp;and their friend to attend.&nbsp;

Good Luck Okie, I understand, you're in a tuff spot..

Lew

&nbsp;

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Random thoughts

Free 10 posts a month, 2 threads max this way a newbie could ask a
few questions
$15-19 like subsciber now
$30-40 like support team now

$99 +15 maintanance after 2 years from sign up for Lifetime
Grandfather clause the current lifers- no more pay cause they ponied up early

Kids of current members of any status have same privlagas as parents.
VIP's free- nominated by moderators for VIP status

Dirtweek attendees be subsriber minnimum OR increase the fee to 20 a day, by the way is still cheaper than it is to ride around here, 1 membership required per family or address. Keep a way for familys to be affordable if they have 3 kids and want to do DW for 5 days.

Okie, whatever the outcome, I apreciate what you have done thus far. You shouldnt have to pay monthly for our enjoyment. Do what you gotta do.
Moderators, thanks for your time, dedication and other contributions also.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Go for it! Also I know of one life'er that's alway's willing to help out if things get tight.

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
You gotta do what ya gotta do.

Like any other club (as mentioned by Teeds) memberships shouldn't be free. DRN is an exclusive website, by far the best dirt bike site on the web. You want to be a member of the BEST, you gotta pony up the cash. You don't see anybody getting a free membership to your local&nbsp;Golf &amp; Country Club, do you? Let the whiners whine, my comment on the whining...."I'm over it....are you?" :p

Bricks88

Sponsoring Member
Mar 14, 2002
I have been soaking up info for along time,like a giant sponge and didnt even know I could subscribe untill I read the poll page.Next year Ill do the lifetime! This site is PRICELESS to me.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Originally posted by 70 marlin
Go for it! Also I know of one life'er that's alway's willing to help out if things get tight.

&nbsp;:thumb:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Still thinking about it.

bscottr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 2001
Okie,
Lot’s of good input here…. maybe too much? :scream:
Would it help you to discuss only the options you are now considering?

Scott

Dapper

Sponsoring Member
Jan 25, 2002
I was a registered member before I even bought my bike and it was the easiest purchase I've ever made because of all the support. You have to do what is best for you and the site to maintain the quality. Almost a year later I became a sponsoring member I was just lazy or I would have done it earlier. Maybe people just need a little nudge to do the right thing. That's my opinion, but I could be wrong. :)

Last edited:

MX-727

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 4, 2000
I know this is a tough one for you Okie.

I think Walt has some really good ideas.

The thing is, everyone in here is paying, so, to all of us, it's a no-brainer to pay, and that's what the poll shows. Posting the poll on the outside, will have the exact opposite result given the audience.

I would imagine that if everyone has to pay, that may allow you to lower the per person charge which in turn will help you retain a few more members, thereby increasing the gross income.

The most important thing is that you do what you have to do to keep DRN up and running. Making everyone pay will cause the membership to decrease, but like you mentioned, that probably isn't a bad thing. DRN was just as great when there were only 2000 members, and if we end up back at that level, but with everyone contributing, I think we will be better off in the long run. Additionally, once all sites become pay to play, the membership numbers will begin a slow steady climb back to the stratosphere after people realize there are no free lunches.

I'd like to nominate swapmoto for the first VIP membership. (I noticed that I can't PM him.)

Oh yeah, nice Rose Bowl. :)

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Originally posted by Kawidude
I say do it. It may also help weed out some of the "less desirable elements" as well. I would think that would translate to the mods spending less time babysitting people who are only here to cause problems.

I was thining the same thing as I made my way down the list. As my dad always said $h!t or get off the pot. :uh:

Wolf

doooode
Jul 31, 2000
I read all this a couple of times now. I think a few really good points have been made. What MX 727 said makes a lot of sense: No one in here will argue to pay....we have all already made that (good) decision.
I think that it all boils down to the same old rule of common sense:
You get what you pay for! Restrict the free stuff to a minimum, but still offer enough to tease, and then implement different levels and pricing structure.
Another question comes to mind...what would the paying advertisers think?

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Stick it to 'em, you evil capitalist pig!!!!!!!!!!!! :p You truly are as mean as you look! ;)

Personal/family probs have kept me pretty much absent for the last two months, so I can't really comment on the overall climate here. But if anyone cares what I think, here goes:

This isn't the soup line, the welfare office, or the free clinic for "working girls" (no offense, Ivan). Like many other things in life, DRN is a privilege (in this case provided by Okie), not a right guaranteed in our constitution.

And if Okie (our friend) is being hurt by the cost of providing this privelage, then I say it is our responsibility as friends to help him out. That can mean increasing our level of support, or just standing by him when he decides to go full subscription.

Personally, I could care less if the membership drops to under 10k. I could care less if it drops to under 5k. Mostly, I care about the STM's (as they're the only ones I know & interact with, and the reason I get so much enjoyment out of this site- way more than any paper mag). There are a few exceptions, but I post more in threads that center around shooting the bull than technical threads. I don't have that much technical info to offer (I know, you're shocked, but it's true), nor do I have that many technical questions. So, as Ivan referred to Mototalk as a clubhouse, DRN is my clubhouse. You guys are my buddies. You're the spirit, life, and blood of this place. It's more than a message board. Of course, I don't expect my opinion to mirror everyone's. It's just the way I feel. I'm content with Bruce, Marcus and Rich, Eric and Jer for high tech stuff, Elk for making myself feel better, and the rest of the stm's for better comraderie than I have in real life.

So Okie, if you ever happen to turn a profit, keep it. Don't feel obligated to tell me, I could care less. Until then, if you need more support from me, holler. I'm itching for the day I can actually help someone else here on DRN.

That's all from me for now. I'll probably change my mind on half this stuff right after I click "submit reply" (happens every time), but I'm leaving it as is. Talk to you guys next week.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Oh, and one more thing- Eddie, can I stay in your motorhome next year? That last night was the best sleep I had all week. Around 5 a.m., someone snuggled up real close & kept me nice & cozy. It was either your dog or Tony.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Like MX-727 said, you would expect us to support the site with our money as well as out spirit.

I was talking to my son about dirtbikes on New Years and I told him about the site and told hom he ought to join and he could learn about bikes etc. while he sells his PWC.&nbsp; He asked what it cost to join and I told him there were different levels of support starting at $12.00 per year.&nbsp; His comment ... "Wow, that's cheap, if I can find all the stuff you mentioned in the site."&nbsp; I am telling my daughter that she needs to belly up to the bar tomorrow.&nbsp;

There should be a way a newbie to DRN could learn about the site so he can decide for himself, but after (insert number) days you gotta pay to play.

originally posted by zio (our left coast wine steward)
So Okie, if you ever happen to turn a profit, keep it. Don't feel obligated to tell me, I could care less. Until then, if you need more support from me, holler. I'm itching for the day I can actually help someone else here on DRN.

Ditto that ... Okie, I want you to succeed.&nbsp; It benefits us all!

BTW - Zio, you helped with dinner at DW and brought the wine!! :thumb:

Last edited:

WideOpen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 21, 2000
i voted yes.

I'm a member of IGN.com, it's 20 bucks a year. most kids there can find a way to pay for it, also alot of them get "adopted" by another member that will pay for them to be a member. Another thing they have is are some free boards. 90% of boards you have to pay for, but theres a free board for poeple who can't pay. The only proplem with one free board is that it will get very busy so you might want a time lock so you can only post once every 2 minutes or something.

just thought ya'll might want a POV from a kid

Last edited:
Top Bottom