Deer Creek...Nor.Cal Ride Report

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
I meet Fremontguy @ 0830 in Sonora, Ca. After we topped off your gas tanks we were back on the road for a short 30 minute drive to the staging area. The weather was perfect for a day of riding in the woods. We unloaded the bikes and made some last minute adjustments and we were off. Fremontguy was rdinging his trusty XR400. Deer Creek's elevation is about 3500-5500 ft. We headed out of the staging area on single track trails and ended up on several forest service roads....not exactly what we wanted but never the less we were riding. I had never rode Deer Creek before and I was leading....I guess that explains why we were riding the service roads... We back tracked and found some really good black diamond (expert) trails with some very tight single track through the woods with a few very tight steep climbs :D We finally rolled back into the staging area after about 25-30 miles under our belt.
We topped off our tanks and made a few adjustments to the bikes and headed out on trail #7 for our second loop. Trail #7 is very cool! The trail is very over grown with buck brush and very tight manzinita brush. It reminded me of riding through a tunnel. Thank goodness for barkbusters/handguards! There are several differnt spurs that lead off trail #7, most are black diamond type trails that were very steep, tight and very rocky! We finished up the ride with a brief stop at Lions Lake Dam. We made it back to the staging area with no damage to the body or bikes!! We managed to log in about 55+ miles. All in all it was a excellent day for riding. We pretty much had the entire area to ourselves! We only meet one other rider on our ride!
Fremontguy, thanks for the ride and the invite!

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
Kali,

I read you adventures from the Wild Boar! Sounds like you had a great time :D!

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

fremontguy

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 1, 2000
Great riding with you (mostly somewhere behind you)Rick, Mr.GasGas. I like your go anywhere attitude. Usually when I ride solo I stick to trail map, missing out on good unmarked trails. Still a lot of undiscovered stuff out there, you past the trail entrance to trail 16 and I figured you were going easy on me :) Look forward to Elkins ride or maybe sooner rides.

------------------
'99 XR400R '95 300EXC

shifty1408

Jan 5, 2001
It's excellent to see some one else ride Deer Creek! Everytime out you are lucky to see 2-3 other riders out there. Lots of new trails under construction as well. Let me know when you guys plan on going back out there! The best time to ride is in the fall when Lyons is drained and you can really rip up the sand and launch off the rock in the lake bed. Next time out check out #21 its probably the best trail out there very narrow and long. #16 is great as well. Great place for a west coast hook up....

Dean
hmrusa.com

MR.WR

Apr 7, 2000
shifty,

We rode trail 99% of all trails that were conecting to trail#7.

Having rode both Elkins Flat and Deer Creek, Elkins Flat is a much better place to hold a large group ride...

I'm looking forward to the Little Pole Cat Enduro at Deek Creek in June.

------------------
District 36 Member
AMA Member
99 GasGas EC200

Top Bottom