degreaser?? or what to clean bike??

colochris

Jul 24, 2003
just wondering what you all reccomend for cutting the grease on your bike?? I get bad build up around my rear sprocket, chain, chain guards seems like everywhere. I would like to keep it clean but at the same time not to make anything wear out faster. It seems like my chain is so built up with grease and lubricant. Any ideas would be great.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Simple Green

fatty_k

~SPONSOR~
Jul 3, 2001
I found that Motul Moto wash works the best for me. I use a solvent such as Varsol to cut through the thick build up, but once the build up is gone, just spray the Moto Wash around the chain and sproket when you wash it, and it will easily clean the grease right up. It is also biodegradable. It also cleans the rest of the bike and makes it look like new, leaving no residue.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I use automotive aluminum wheel cleaner. I spray the rims, hubs and engine with it and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then I hose it off. It really made my engine cases and cylinder shine. Did a good on on the rear hub, also.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
The cleaners won't hurt the chain but if you have an O-ring chain and you pressure wash it, water will get past the o-rings and rust it and lock it up solid. For cleaning an o-ring chain, spray the cleaner on the chain and let it set for a while. Then take a soft nylon brush and scrub it. Rinse it off with a hose (no pressure) and then spray it with WD40 or lube it right away.

Personally I don't use an O-ring chain. I spray it with cleaner and pressure wash the snot out of it. That gets all the crap out of the inside and outside. Then right away I spray the chain with WD40 to chase away all the water, then I lube it later. Since there are no o-rings to trap the water, it all drains out (with the help of the WD40) and you have a nice clean chain. I get at least 18 months out of my chains and I ride in all conditions.

When you lube it use a dry film moly lube (I highly recommend MX-1000) and you won't get that greasy build up.

Top Bottom