KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
I am after some advice
In Australia summer is almost here and the weather is starting to warm up. This will be my first summer at the mx track, last year I spent it in the trails under the shade of trees.
I went to the track today and its a warm day (28 degrees celcius) and I managed about 10 laps for the entire day, (like 3 at a time) before I felt like I as going to die. By the end I had absolutely no strength left. Its the first warmish day so far and I am not used to it yet but the weather is only going to get much hotter and I was wondering what people do to combat this on the track. I found after 3 laps if I didnt get a drink I would pass out. I thought about riding with my camelback on but still wont increase the number of laps. The track is open late during day light savings so will be able to go when it cools down but more concerned about racing in this weather and stuff. What do you girls do to keep hydrated? Any special tips?

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
What I usually do is drink a bottle of water on the way to the track. Then ride a few laps and then get some more and take a short break. Not that Michigan gets all that hot and humid...but there are days. Anyway that's what I do, just drink plenty of water.

Tracie
01 CR125
96 GSF600S

srellis

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 25, 2002
We have had several 100+ days here this summer in Kansas. If you know if you are going to be riding, make sure you start drinking the day before. My kids are sick of water just because I push it on them so much. I make sure they drink at least a bottle before they race as well as one after they race on race day. Between the four of us, it is not unusual to go through 6 to 7 gallons total on race day. I also sometimes put a little powdered Gatorade in the bottles. Not much, just enough to flavor the water. Too much and it will make my kids sick to their stomachs.

Good luck and happy riding!

Susan

E-Ticket

~SPONSOR~
Dec 16, 2000
The best way to deal with dehydration ... is to be "hydrated" before you ride!

Most people do not drink enough water... period.

If you know you are riding on a given day -- start drinking more water 2-3 days *before* you go riding. You might be amazed at the difference! - ET

JasonJ

Jun 15, 2001
Camel back! Certainly for training you want to be drinkig before, durring, and after exercising. They have camel backs where the hose holder is rigid and holds the bite valve right by your mouth, but I never liked that, I can usally grab the hose and shove it in my mouth in one quick movement just like clearing my gogles. I use suplements like Gatoraid. Yeah, if you drink it straight its rough on your tummy, but you have to cut it with water and get use to it, it makes a hudge differance in hydration, enerygy, and recovery using someting like Gator aid, you get more hydration from less of it wich is important when riding, you cant carry a gallon of water on your back but you can carry 2 qts of gator aid and water and get a few sips in on the track while your catching big air :) .
In bike riding circles they say, if you wait untill your thirsty to dirnk, its to late. Your behind the hydration curve and its very hard to recover while riding.

4EverOrange

~SPONSOR~
Mar 9, 2003
The best way to deal with dehydration ... is to be "hydrated" before you ride!

Exactly!!! Drink water before, during and after your ride. If you are riding first thing in the morning, make sure you drank your water the day before. I try to drink 3-4 liter's of water a day. Water is an amazing thing!

ktmracer

~SPONSOR~
Aug 9, 1999
4everorange and E-ticket got it correct, also you should drink a little over a long period of time. your body can only absorb about 2-3 oz every twenty minutes (not and exact figure, but close enough) so anything over that is not helping you. If you are thirsty on the bike, its already too late......you began the day dehydrated.

altagirl

~SPONSOR~
Mar 17, 2003
I concur with starting to drink early and continuing through the day. Also -Keep your energy level up. It's hard to eat when it's super hot outside, but I've found that energy gel packets like clif shots or something - they dissolve quickly when you drink water and help keep you going. Sometimes I've gotten the "ready to pass out" feeling biking in the desert even if I've been drinking steadily - it's hunger but the heat makes me feel more weak than hungry.

KDXgirl

May 10, 2003
Thanks everyone for the info.

I definately dont drink enough leading up to the day and did find on the weekend no matter how much I drank it didnt satisfy me.
Ill try starting early and see how that goes.
SOmeone mentioned gateroaide, does it really work? is it as good or better than water?

Jonala

~SPONSOR~
Sep 20, 2000
KDXgirl,
Yes Gatorade does work, if for no other reason that it gives water some taste. You should try Gatorade or any equivalent electrolyte drink in a non stress condition to see how it works with your stomach.

As everyone has said being hydrated before stressing your system is the way to go. What you may also want to do is either run, bike, or any other activity that stresses your system while dealing with the heat. This will help acclimate your system to the heat.

Last edited:
Top Bottom