KNeese

Nov 19, 2001
Arrived in Ellensburg Saturday around 4:00pm. Got settled in to the motel room then went for dinner. After dinner drove out to the pits for sign-up.

The line was fairly long, the wind was blowing dust all over the place. There were some mean looking clouds around but it was fairly warm.

Got done with sign-up around 7:40pm. Went back to town for a good nights rest.

Sunday morning arrived at the pits around 8:45am. Got suited up and ready to go.

Went to the riders meeting. It was hilarious. They warned us about a couple of drop offs on either side of the second smoke bomb on the outside of trucks. We wer told to stay between the 2 trucks or else.

The start to the "main" course was 7 miles, then each lap was 35 miles. So the total for my race was 112 miles. Yikes!! Last year I had to stop a couple of times to rest. Its really hard to maintain correct riding stance when your left hand is cramped into a tight little ball, and your left thigh is cramped so tight it causes another cramp in your right foot!!! So my goal this year was to finish without cramping and not stopping to rest.

The start is LeMans style where you have to run about 50 ft to your bike start and go. The first mile or so was right out through the sage, rocks and ditches. What may appear to be a good line at first may turn into a bad line in the next 100 yds. So I didn't get a very good start, but thats OK I told myself I need to take it easy so I could last.

I never did see the trucks at the second smoke bomb. I just followed the herd of riders. Shortly after the second smoke bomb we headed down into a canyon and someone killed their bike in a little tight section that caused a brief bottleneck. One thing I forgot to mention is it had rained the night before, so little if any dust. It was perfect.

Once we got to the main course I realized we were riding last years course in reverse. No problem. Last years course was not too tough except for the 35 miles of round rocks, sharp rocks, stable rocks, mobile rocks, big whoops, little whoops, powdery silt, and a couple small hills. Great fun.

After the first lap I was feeling pretty strong. I was trying to keep a loose grip on the bars so I wouldn't cramp in the hands. I had also brought along some Gatorade and energy drink for each pit stop.

I took off on the second lap. There is a section right out of the pits that is an old asphalt road that has developed a few potholes. But other than that it is straight and flat for several miles. So I relaxed my hands on that section.

I felt pretty strong during the second lap. There was one section on the first lap that was a short (30 yds) uphill climb on some really loose rocks. I got a little out of shape and killed my bike there. So I was watching out for it on the second lap determined to do better. I made it up OK no problem.

Then there was another faster section that had a large rolling whoop that if hit fast enough would get some air with a landing on another whooped out section. On the first lap I hit this faster than I wanted. Talk about pucker power!! I almost ruined my riding pants.

I vowed to remember this on the second lap. Well I didn't. I hit the same section on the second lap and vowed to remember on the third lap.

The third lap, I started cramping again but not as bad as last year. By this time my drink system was almost gone. Every time I started to feel a cramp I tried to take a drink. I also was needing to answer the call of nature but I thought I could make it one more lap. However the constant pounding of the whoops made it harder and harder to ride. Finally about 10 miles from the finish I couldn't take it any longer and had to stop. When I got off my bike and stood erect, I immediately cramped on the back of my left thigh.

Anyway I finished pretty late again this year, but I felt pretty good about not stopping to rest and not cramping nearly so bad as last year. I will be back again next year. Thanks to the Stumpjumpers MC for another terrific Desert 100. I have to go now 'cause my hands are starting to cramp.

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
Great report!

All that and I bet you can't wait for the next race. :aj:

I always snork down bananas to prevent cramps and eat pasta for energy the day before a desert race, also drink the all the Gatorade I can stand.

I will guzzle a small one just prior to the riders meeting with a power bar for long lasting energy and nothing but water in my Camelbak.

No cramping and a clear mind. :)

When I start dehydrating I notice that I ride stupid and start making mistakes.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
I got there Friday night at about 9:30 for the ironman on Saturday. I have never seen so many RVs/trailers/trucks in one place in all my life. I parked way up on the hill were it looked like I would be out of the way. Great view of the RV lot and really nice sunrise in the morning. Good riders meeting, the usual "don't run the slow women and children off the trail because someday they will grow up and run your elderly butt off the trail or your son will marry her speech" oh and "it's not a race" ya right. 2-40 mile laps for 79.8 total on a big old XR was rough. The dust was very, very thick. Many riders dropped out because of the dust. Less riders = less dust for me. We stopped in the middle for some drinks and my bud on the 85 XR600 had a flat front tire. I finally understand why so many of you guys have those camelbacks. The nice guy at the portable bike shop fixed his flat and sold him a new tire for 70 bucks and we were off for lap two. The riding was not high speed, and like KNEESE described whoopy and rocky. The raveens we went through gave many people problems but the big thumpers flew right up. Lots of dead bikes were layed out on the side of the trail on the second lap. This crazy helicopter kept buzzing us. When we were all finished I had another beverage and sat down for a bit before the awards. I had a 3 of-a-kind with a jack and I didn't think it was good enough so I got my t-shirt and we loaded up for departure at 3:00. Turns out it was good enough and I would have received a trophy... rats. We went to the dunes at Beverly and I decided to ride the XR a bit. Then I borrowed a banshee with paddles. Holy smokes that's a kick in the butt. We went home that night and it poured down rain as soon as we hit Ellensburg. Next year I'll do the harescramble, a little more punishment would have been allright. The 25 dollar entry fee was in addition to the 5 dollar gate fee. Oh well, I got a t-shirt and maybe the money will help keep the event going.

I looked for a big orange flag form Hawaii-rider but didn't see one. I did pass a Husaberg though. If anybody saw a pair of orange XRs sliding aound the course trying not to take out women and children that was me.

Good times and nice weather, if you skipped it you missed out.

endoquest

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 4, 2000
Good report Kneese, are you going to the Shelton Enduro this weekend? I'm on the fifth minute, I'll be there Saturday afternoon with my green Dodge and HiPoint trailer, stop on by.

KNeese

Nov 19, 2001
Shelton Enduro

Yes I will be there both days. I went to a club meeting last night. The course is almost ready. They have a couple hours of work on Friday for the long course but other than that its ready to go.

The fifth minute is good. The course should be in pretty good shape still. From what I have ridden of it I think your going to like it. I have not ridden the long course but I have ridden most of the trails in the past and it should be good also.

I will try to stop by and look you up.

I see your the President of ETRA. Isn't that the club that puts on the Funky Chicken National Hare Scrambles in Elton, OR?

See ya,

Ken

Top Bottom