seancza

Apr 22, 2003
Just looking for some opinions from the experienced folks, or just the opinionated. I have an '01 220 bone stock except for the air box mod and re-jetting. I would like to get a new pipe and DF II reeds. Pipes are fairly expensive in Canada, so cash flow is a consideration. Now to the point.........

Would there be any significant improvement in performance if the DF II reeds were installed using the stock pipe?

farmerj

Dec 27, 2002
How about "somewhat experienced and opinionated"?? ;)

To the point - Yes, you will find an improvement in performance using the DFII with the stock pipe. But read on!

Digression - I have an '01 200. I know about the significant differences between the 200 and the 220, but some of my experience would hold true for you, I think.
1) I ran the torque pipe, airbox mod, stock reeds. Great mid-range improvement. Much better pull out of corners, and much better power in loose dirt.
2) I ran the DF II with the stock pipe. Smoother throughout the powerband, with maybe about half the power improvement of the torque pipe.
3) I ran the DF II and RB Carb Mod with the stock pipe - Almost the same level of improvement as the torque pipe alone.
4) Now I'll play with the torque and rev pipes. I expect some fun!

The point? Pipe makes more difference than reeds.

Bottom line:

Why are you thinking about going with reeds first vs. new pipe? Are the cost differences in Canada that great?

There is no question in my mind as to what I would do if I had a 220 and "were on a budget":

1) Rev pipe ($90-$180) - Something like half price if you get a used one from Jeff Fredette. Do the search and you'll find that most 220 riders prefer the "rev". As you probably know, the 220 is ported differently than the 200 and responds differently to the pipes.
2) Boyesen reeds - $35 (or so) - Don't get me wrong: I love my DF II! But we're talking about "bang for the buck", here. I'd go for #3 below (RB Carb Mod) before I put big bucks into the reeds.
3) RB Carb Mod - $165 - You get a carb bored to 36mm for improved top end and a divider plate to maintain your great low end. Best of both worlds!

For about $300-$350 you can have most everything you'd want (without going to porting,etc.) IMO-IMO-IMO you do not need a new silencer. After doing the three things mentioned above, dollars spent vs. performance gained are a much lower R.O.I. (return on investment).

<http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?threadid=86849&highlight=westflying>

Anyone else out there have a different view?

tedkxkdx

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 6, 2003
I think you should try an icat first on your stock bike. I thought mine added more performance than a pipe or DFII. I can't enuf about the power it gave me. You just have to try it to believe it. I don't if any one sells them in Canada. Motoworld.com has them for $200 US.

slyder

Jul 29, 2003
i dont know about everyone else but i think the pipe gives the most bang for the buck. but if you do a pipe go with the rev pipe.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
If you are looking for an over all increase in performance I'd be all over an FMF rev pipe. You'll notice that same wonderful btm end grunt you do now with much better mid range to top end. With the rev pipe the engine will continue to produce power long after the stock pipe has fallen flat. For bang for your buck my vote goes to a pipe.

David

seancza

Apr 22, 2003
Thanks for the responses. I'm looking for an overall increase in performance, mostly in mid to top, but I didn't want to lose the bottom end. Rev pipe is definately the answer. I was thinking about a dynoport pipe. Most pipes are in the $180 to $220 (US $) range. In loonie bucks that 1.5 times more.

DF II reeds are about $150 (US) +/-.

I think a pipe is the answer.

BRush

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 5, 2000
Don't forget to check the for sale forum here or ebay. This is a case where used is just as good as new (assuming the pipe has not been damaged).

Top Bottom