Fleshwound

Nov 26, 2000
Hi, Im wanting to know, I have a Long bed Ford Ranger pick up. On that part of the bed that sits behind the cab(where the front tire of a bike sits up against), mine flexs alot. I was wondering, that diamond plated steel that you can buy to put on your bed rails, or that come on some tool boxes, can you buy a piece, cut it and place it over that part there. It would not only make it much more sterdy but keep the wheel from moving around with turns and such. I would just like to know if its possible. thanks

smarttoys

Sponsoring Member
Apr 29, 2001
It should be easy to find a piece of it. Probably at a machine shop or metal supply shop. There is a machine shop in my area that stocks a large selection of steel and steel plating. Aluminum plating would probably work well too.

Dirty Dave

Sponsoring Member
Jul 31, 1999
I have seen those things premade for trucks and even has tiedown rings already on it. sorry can't remember the source.

Danman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 7, 2000
I know the one that your talking about. I saw that they did a reveiw on one in Dirt Rider in the last 6 months. I will look and see if I can find it. A doubled up 2x4 with a notice in it for the tire would proabley do the trick. I would just cut one for the whole width of the bed and them to smaller pieces attached to the full length one on both sides to the tire. You could sink so eye hooks into it. Cheap and easy.

Kyron

Feb 3, 2001
If you do get one made make sure it has a bend or a fold in the metal along the top of the bed,it will make it stronger.

Another idea is to get motorcycle tire chokes that bolt to the bed (or plywood), then the tire's pressure won't all be against the bed.

Top Bottom