2slowtogofast

Dec 15, 2008
my brother just recently bought a 2008 crf 250r. Right now he is away in italy for two months. While he is away he told me i could ride hhis bike if i want to. So the only exp i have with dirt bikes is riding a 50 cc pit bike. I have a 1999 yamaha banshee so im more of a fourwheeler guy. Today was the first day the bike was started. It started right i hop on an go to ride it and i stall it. The i try to start it again and it wouldt start so while it was off i gave it gas 2 or 3 times (no knowing this was bad). After 10 min of trying to start it it finally started. I rode it and went to turn was going really slow in second pulled the clutch in didt give it any gas while clucth was in downshifted to first let the clutch out an the bike stalled. Tried to start it again started then i turned the throtlle to rev it while in neutral and as soon as i turned the throttle it shut off. This happened a few more times and also stalled a few more time while i was riding it. I was nervous because it was my first time on a bike so i was shifting about halfway throught each gear and puling the clutch in slow not giving any gas while clutch was in then shifting and it would stall. The temp was aroun 36 degrees fareinheit. Do you think anything is messed up on it or did i just flood the engine and thats why it was hard to start and am i just riding over cautiosly and staling it because of that. Do these bikes generally not like the cold weather. I would like to keep riding this bike while he is away but i dont want to mess it up so if anyone could tell me if these problems are normal and maybe give sometips on driving it while being cautious so i can learn. The main thing i wanna know is if i messed anything up. This is the first time i started the bike so i hope ididt break it

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Hey 2slow...,

It takes alot to hurt these bikes. I don't believe you have hurt it. I'm guessing your bro baught the bike used ? They do tend to be a bit tempermental in colder weather, mainly because they need to be re-jetted for the colder temperatures. It could just be that you are used to the 2-stroke engine in your banchee. You need to be smooth with the throttle on a 4-stroke. It could also be that the valve clearances are out of spec. These bikes are bad for this especialy the Honda CRF's. Try letting the bike warm up well before you ride it again. Be smooth with the throttle and avoid rapid throttle openings. You'll get used to your bro's bike in time, just ride safe and don't be a "hotshot" on it untill you've gotten used to it. OH !!! P.S. Have the valve clearences checked before you do ride it again , because if they are out of spec., you can cause damage to the valves and valve seats. A couple things I do with my bike (yam yz450f) are, change the engine oil to a lighter grade "10w-40" or "10w-30" motorcycle oil, and block off half of each radiator to avoid overcooling the engine. A couple peices of thin cardboard bettween the rad guards and rads will do.

Last edited:

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
I guess if it's brand new, you won't have to worry about the valves just yet !! lol!!

slinger34

May 1, 2006
There is a big difference when riding from 70-80 degree weather to 30 degree. I would say let the bike warm up real good before you ride. jetting will be off in the cold weather so the air/fuel is going to be lean. I dont have experience with alot of four strokes, but the mags always talk about flame out which is basically the engine dies when it is at idle or slower speed.

sharky243

Dec 14, 2008
Flame out is usually caused by erratic throttle operation. If you ride a 4-stroke like a 2-stroke, you'll most likely cause a flame out. Jetting will be lean in colder weather but it's not as sensitive as a 2-stroke. As long as you're not racing or beating on it, you should be ok and not hurt the engine. Warm it up well and block off half of each rad and you should be ok.

txkawboy

Nov 18, 2003
You have one heck of a brother, dude!
Anyway, properly adjust the fuel screw and u should be fine enuff to ride it around, even tho like he said, the overall jetting is probably set for warmer wxr...

Top Bottom