Did I ruin my top end? yz 250 '02

anca

Nov 7, 2003
Yesterday I forgot 3 times the fuel off, 2 times the bike has stopped because the carburetor was empty while I was on a medium step climbing, 20mph. The track from the moment I started with the fuel off was various with descent, straight, etc. so not all the time up hill. The bike doesn’t sowed signs of lean condition or that it was running out of fuel, so I guess I didn’t forced it. The third time I was on a twisted trail at slow speed.
I am very worried because the cylinder, piston, crank, bearings are new. The bike has 10 hours after breaking in, it is YZ 250 2002.
Until yesterday the bike had a beautiful sound with a zzzzzzz like a little turbine on the background. Now it disappeared. It has power but because now I become paranoiac, everything seems to be changed and all the sounds seems to be weird even if to somebody else are normal.
From your experience (if you encountered someone that stupid like me), does all means that I wear more than normal my top end, should i measure it?
Thank you

MXTex

~SPONSOR~
Feb 29, 2000
I guess technically a 2 stroke engine could be damaged by a lean condition created by fuel starvation while under load; but I've never heard of this happening. The conditions you mentioned didn't sound too load intensive to me. I'd ride it and not worry about it. In the future, I'd make sure to turn the fuel petcock on. And if it helps you remember, do it for safety reasons. Think about hitting the face of a big jump and having the motor die. Not good.

Can Can Kev

Feb 24, 2003
friend one time forgot to turn his gas on before a race got the holeshot and his bike dieing boy was he mad..... turn the gas on dummy! lol

Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…