Did my first oil change and I got milky oil *edited*

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
I read the other milky oil posts but I still want to post a new topic just in case somebody can give me a specific answer that fits these circumstances. Also, I'm not very mechanically inclined but I'm very willing to learn so please bear with me.

I have a 2004 KX-250F. I bought it about 1.5 months ago. I love the bike. I think I'm addicted to dirt bikes because I'm getting a 2006 KX-250 tomorrow. Gotta have a 2 stroke and a 4 stroke hehe. Anyhow, so I changed my oil. I followed the service manual step by step. I replaced all the gaskets on the oil drain plugs and the one gasket for one of the nuts on for the water pump cover. The only gasket I didn't replace was the water pump cover gasket, that big number six shaped plastic ring. I checked it for cracks but it looked fine. So, I drained the oil and the coolant. I replaced the oil filter and applied a bit of multipurpose grease on the grommel as instructed. I put everything back. Then I added the oil to mid level on that oil peephole hehe. Then I added coolant and air bleeded it all out. It ran great for two days. Then I noticed that the oil, when looking through the oil peephole, turned all black. Seems like it was dirty again. I rode it once more and while it was on, I looked through the oil peephole and the oil was all bubbly. Once it settled and cooled, it was all milky. Then a few minutes later the oil peephole became foggy and I couldnt' see anything. Also, when I touch the oil peephole it's kinda cold. So I'm pretty sure the coolant mixed with my oil. Do you guys think that it's probably my water pump cover gasket, that big plastic number six shaped ring? Is that the same thing as a water pump seal?

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
One more thing, when I put the water pump cover back on, I greased the water pump cover gasket, maybe I put too much grease? I really didn't put much at all.

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
Why didn't you replace the gasket when you cahnged the oil? I would bet thats what is wrong. If the old oil looked ok when you changed it.

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
I didn't have a spare gasket, but I ordered a new one. Yea I'm guessing that's the problem too. So what do I need to do? Do I just drain out all the coolant and oil? Or do I need to do something else?

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
I'm gonna drain the oil tom. Hopefully the oil smells sweet and not like gasoline. If that's the case, where it's just oil and coolant do I just drain them out? Do I need to install a new oil filter? I stopped riding as soon as I saw the oil look like milk. Do I need to open up the engine? I mean, since the coolant is mixed with the oil, I'm sure that mixed oil is in the engine. Do I need to flush that out?

Also, is there a way to change the oil filter without flushing out all the coolant? It just seems that when you take of the water pump cover to access the oil filter, u gotta disconnect the radiator hose and all the coolant spills out.

Last edited:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
You may want to change it again shortly after you swap that gasket. Just to make sure it's all clean.

trist007

Oct 3, 2007
turned out that my water pump cover gasket was just pinched. I replaced it with a new one and left my water pump seal alone and it works fine now. I heard the water pump seal problem is more prevalent on 2 strokes than on 4 strokes.

Top Bottom