Did you all catch the V8 Bathurst 1000?

handywork

Sep 5, 2005
I know it`s not strictly motorcycle related,but it`s great motorsport and it gets the blood pumping.The V8 cars were running at Australias premeire circuit again,with the usual carnage and undeniable brute force that has made them unequalled in Australian and world motorsport.1350kg family sedans with a high octane 700hp V8,dry sump,six forward gears,3.15 Harrop diff,racing slicks,fully adjustable in car race suspension,3/4 length twin dump pipes and a 300km/h+ top speed and pulling 120km/h+ in first gear and all going hell for leather around a twisty mountain top cicuit for 161 laps or 1000km.These cars are awesome to watch and are even better to see live or if you are lucky enough have a lap in,which can set you back around $300 a lap.If your interested the car itself is a cool $250,000 to set up.I got some cool pics of some of the action if anyone wants a look at these monsters and my email is ccgoommaitland@hotmail.com if you want me to send you some action pics.Mark Skaiffe was the victor and had his G.M. powered Holden Commodore(similar to GTO) was balltearing with full drifts powering out of every bend and the days top speed of 304km/h.Next driving a similar car was Richards and these 2 really showed how good a driver they really are and pushed the boundaries for the last 40 laps,with the last 11 laps at break neck speed.Craig Lowndes who had his Ford FPV GT running very well indeed qualified fastest,won the top 10 shoot out and looked as if he would take honours,was as usually happens at the mountain,foiled.Firstly breaking a Watts linkage adjustment bolt,then after a quick repair,not long after had the misfortune of a whole wheel which came off a casualty who hit the concrete barrier in front of him,bounce and come down heavily going through the front windscreen as he was accelerating hard from 150km/h.He popped the front and back screens and raced until the end(around 100 laps) but it ruined his race.11 laps from the end Murphy(GM) and Ambrose(Ford) let their ongoing fighting and arguing get the better of sportsmanship and had a shoving match and true to the mountains unforgiving nature,both ended up in an absolute pile up all caused by they`re stupidity,and the sad thing is that they took other guys with them and the pace car was called on which stopped the 2 front runners eye poppin spectacle.Lap 136 and they both emerged from the pits and openned them both up and juggled the lead.They both had cold green tyres and the power drifts these guys were doing was I think the best action I have seen in V8 supercars this year.To sum up,I hope you guys got a broadcast of Sunday`s action (Aus.E.S.T._10am-5pm or so).It is just great to watch and there is never a dull moment.I`ll be back next year,would not miss it for quids.CHEERS :nod:

KiwiBird

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 30, 2000
That was one of my favorite races to watch in NZ, great racing, doubt we'll see it here in the US though.

Top Bottom