DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
I put together this speech for Toastmasters which was well received:

What’s Driving You?

ATTENTION
What can you do with $500? What is $500 worth to you? What if I told you of a way to put this money in your pocket without even lifting a finger? Sounds too good to be true, doesn’t it?

For me $500 is my vacations accommodation paid. It’s what I reluctantly pay in property taxes on my vehicles each year. It’s the cable bill, etc. Think about it next time you are forking out your hard earned cash on one of these payments.

NEED
How? The answer is simple. Fuel Consumption!

Why consumption? The answer is simple. By using less we demand less and we refine less. It is estimated that in forty years time the world’s reserves will be depleted. If we can use 50% less fuel now we add 20 years to our reserves. Twenty additional years to develop those new technologies! Twenty additional years to spread out the burning of our fossil fuels! We cannot under estimate the importance of those additional 20 years!

This is not something unreasonable because if we consumed fuel at the same rate as the Europeans we would not be in the situation we find ourselves in now. The standard for poor performance as measured by the Europeans is 30 miles per gallon. Anything less is unacceptable. 35 miles per gallon is the norm and anything above 40 the goal. Compare this to the 20 miles per gallon that is acceptable in the US.

To many the way to achieve this is in hydrogen, or methane powered vehicles. Recently we heard about the hydrogen economy and the methanol economy but these technologies are many years away. All are very expensive to develop.

SATISFACTION
What can we do now? There are a couple of ways we can conserve energy and here are three that work.
1) Hybrid Vehicles – Use gasoline and electricity
2) Motorcycles – The 1st or 2nd vehicles for many families in the world. :ride:
3) Diesel – A readily available, widely distributed, fuel.

All of the above boast a fuel consumption of around 50 miles per gallon but only one is a viable option. Hybrid vehicles are not good for the long haul or towing and motorcycles are restricted by the weather. The only one that can meet our needs now is Diesel! 50% of all new passenger vehicles sold in Europe are diesel so we cannot throw up our arms and say it can’t work here.

No longer are they dirty, noisy, smelly, vehicles. No longer are they unreliable rattle-traps. No longer are they uninspiring, agricultural, machines. Change is already here in the form of the Volkswagen turbo-diesel, the Mercedes-Benz E320, and the Jeep Liberty CDi. When Daimler-Benz purchased Chrysler they were keen to get the great product line out to the Europeans. The Mini-Van, Jeep Cherokee, and PT Cruiser are highly prized and admired as icons of America. Imagine their shock when they could not sell them because they all averaged 20 miles per gallon. The only thing they bought was the notion that we are a nation of gas-guzzlers!

Daimler-Chrysler’s answer was to put the world-renowned Mercedes-Benz common-rail turbo-diesel engine in these vehicles and success was theirs for the taking. So successful has it been that Chrysler has taken the plunge into the American market. Their first two vehicles are from Mercedes-Benz and Jeep and if we take to these vehicles, more are to follow. If Chrysler offered the Voyager Mini-Van with a diesel engine, as they do in Europe, I’d be the first to take delivery. Not to mention a Dodge Durango with the CDi I6.

To create an appeal I suggested to them that they get Vin Diesel (the actor) to market their Jeep line here.

VISUALIZATION
If we do not act now expect higher gas prices. Expect global warming to continue. Expect a much tougher future.

Now to the $500. By cutting down our consumption of gasoline by at least 50%, and at 30c a gallon cheaper, we save around $10 per week. However, as Diesel becomes more acceptable and the demand increases we can expect a reduction of up to 100% as more advanced Diesel technology is introduced. This translates into at least $500 additional dollars in your pocket each year!

Ask yourself, what can I do with $500? What is $500 worth to me? Think about it next time you are forking out your hard earned cash on one of your expenses. Ask yourself, what can I do to alleviate the fuel crisis? Ask yourself, am I ready to consider diesel as an alternative? The only answer is, YES, YES, YES!

ACTION
My challenge to you today is:
1) Take a close look at your fuel consumption.
2) Make a concerted effort to make a 50% reduction a soon as possible.
3) Consider real alternatives that you can use NOW!

Consider a Diesel as your next passenger car or truck :clue:

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
I saw Daryl Hannah(still hot BTW) on the news one night touting a diesel alternative called Grassoline(http://www.grassolean.com/) and I can't believe that it hasn't caught on huge here.

jeffg

Jul 5, 2000
I'd like to drive a diesel as well. The issue is the high cost of "buying in". For most new vehicles where it's offered, the fuel cost savings only cancel out the added cost of the diesel option after many, many miles. Still...food for thought.

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
Funny how the 'buy-in' to a VW Diesel is about the same as a gasoline car yet you get shafted in the truck department. Inernational, Cummings, Isuzu and Alison, are raking it in on the H/D trucks.

The big three are in for a shock when Toyota and Nissan start selling Diesel trucks.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
DoubleTrouble said:
The big three are in for a shock when Toyota and Nissan start selling Diesel trucks.
I doubt it, unless they can come up with a comprable package in the HD market. Sure a light duty diesel in a light duty truck is a viable option for a lot of folks but when you need to drag a trailer with 12,000 pounds of something in it there are not too many import options from Japan available.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
Patman said:
. . . there are not too many import options from Japan available.
there will be. Those Japanese ain't no dummies.

You guys go ahead and buy your diesels so I can have more gas ;)

gasgasman

Sponsoring Member
Feb 15, 2000
You might save $500 a year, but the diesel option can run between $5,000 to $10,000.
I don't think the general public is ready to deal with the idiosyncracies of a diesel.

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
gasgasman said:
You might save $500 a year, but the diesel option can run between $5,000 to $10,000.
I don't think the general public is ready to deal with the idiosyncracies of a diesel.

Gas, do yourself a favor. Take a trip down to your Mercedes-Benz dealer and drive the E320 CDi. Afterwards you will ask yourself about the "idiosyncracies of a diesel". They no longer exist. I drove the BMW 325 TDi and it was potent, fast, efficient and did not smell. Also, the service interval was twice that of the standard 325i and got a 50% better fuel consumption.

Patman, you reflect the "big three's" state of mind. :think:

...ignorance is bliss!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
DoubleTrouble said:
...ignorance is bliss!
I guess you would know. :laugh:

FYI GGMan has forgotten more about oil burners than most folks know, he deals with them on a daily basis.

:think: I really hadn't considered hooking my trailer to a BMW 325 or MB E320 since it woud pretty much out weigh the car when my tractor was on it. :laugh: Please point me towards my local Asian vehicle dealer that has a diesel that will make a daily driver that can still hitch up to a 12K trailer... and pull it. :laugh:

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
DoubleTrouble said:
Funny how the 'buy-in' to a VW Diesel is about the same as a gasoline car yet you get shafted in the truck department. Inernational, Cummings, Isuzu and Alison, are raking it in on the H/D trucks.

Patman, I said "when Toyota and Nissan start selling Diesel trucks", so you will not currently find an 'American Built' Asian truck is the US.

Say to yourself 100 times: It will never happen, it will never happen, etc. And, hey presto, it will never happen.

Yeah, ignorance is bliss...let me put by head back in the sand and repeat (like the big three), it will never happen ;)

The point of my speel is to point out that diesel is a viable alternative in gas savings. If you want a new car check out VW and Mercedes, an SUV check out Jeep, and a truck, Fords Powerstroke Diesel, Dodge's Cummings, and GM's Duramax.

Like I said, consider a Diesel for you next passenger car or truck. :cool:

Grady

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 19, 2000
Unless I am wrong, MB's last Diesel over here was in the 1999 E300 TD, my Mom had one, was a very slick car, and the sucker would really run.

The E320 is a Gas 3.2 litre motor.

I agree that Diesel is a darn good alternave to gas, as my F350, Crew Cab, long bed, 4x4 7,500 lb pick-em-up truck gets between 19 and 20 MPG pretty regularly (solo).

Was not too excited about the buy in though.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I suspect when Toyota & Nissan start selling diesel trucks they will be what is considered 1/2 ton or light duty pickups which still leaves the big three as the only real options for somebody looking for a heavier duty rig. Heck I'd love to have a new Unimog! I currently drive the heck out of a diesel Ford and my next rig will no doubt be an oil burner again. I agree more folks should really consider it but when the initial buy in is higher most opt out and when they learn that they are not the never pop the hood type of engines many think they are even more drop out or get dissatisfied like GGMan stated.

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
"the Buy-In"

The US operates on the premise "what the consumer is willing to pay" (compare what we pay for our bikes vs Europe). The VW Diesel is no more expensive than it's gasoline counterpart yet in our truck purchases we are willing to make Duramax, Interrnational, and Cummings, rich by buying into the H/D mentality. "It's H/D, so we have to pay more".

I am not looking for a H/D Diesel, just a Diesel powered 1/2 ton truck. Ford says the F150 Powerstroke will only arrive in 2007! :yikes:

Repeat after me, "The VW Diesel is no more expensive than it's gasoline counterpart".

Then ask yourself why would you pay more for a diesel truck?

rollerman

Jun 29, 2004
i drive a 2001 vw jetta diesel sadan .. i get an avg. of 50 mpg . isold my 98 f150 because of the driving i do .. love the car .. also can tow my kdx 220 and my sons crf 50 with a big tex 15L trailer ...
tom

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
rollerman said:
i drive a 2001 vw jetta diesel sadan .. i get an avg. of 50 mpg . isold my 98 f150 because of the driving i do .. love the car .. also can tow my kdx 220 and my sons crf 50 with a big tex 15L trailer ...
tom

From the horses mouth. A Diesel owner reaping the benefits of the new technology. And he tows his bike too.

Patman, trade-in for the Mercedes-Benz E320 CDi (30/37 mpg) now :laugh:

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container.jsp?/models/main.jsp&modelCode=E320CDI&src=MODELSELECTOR

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Patman said:
.......there are not too many import options from Japan available.

and for a minute there I thought the Duramax engine was from Isuzu :joke: http://www.duramaxdiesel.com/01_features/sub01.htm

A South Korean company SSang Yong, now owned by Hyundai has a Mercedes Powered SUV - they let you know too - fat arse sticker on the back window says "Powered by Mercedes Benz" :laugh:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
In the US we usually opt for a real gasoline car, rather than a sardine can that would be driven in europe.

I have owned two or three lemons in my day, and the worst of them was the VW sedan.

One of the best vehicles I've owned is the truck I currently use for work and bike hauling...'94 F250, 7.3 L turbo w/ ~300,000 miles currently. I've never seen better than 18-19mpg out of it.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Bundu I know the DMAX is Isuzu but it's still in a big 3 HD pickup product.

I get about that on my 2000 Jaybird, I have gotten as high as 23 loaded with 2 bikes and a bunch of gear running +75mph through Kansas & Oklahoma though.

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
I was just thinking....ya know, with over 1mil. dirt bike riders and who knows how many quad sitters there are in the US, if we would all just give up riding (or sitting as the case may be) we could really conserve lots of petroleum. Maybe we could save the planet. (shrug)

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
Mark my words.....the man who learns to save the world from fossil fuel depletion, will be the man who learns to harness the power of the most abundant and powerfull, naturally occuring gas known to mankind.....METHANE!! :moon: Think about that every time you fart! :laugh:

DoubleTrouble

May 26, 2000
Made in America

Camstyn said:
The duramax diesels are manufactured and assembled in the USA, it was just engineered by Isuzu.

The same can be said for the Nissan Titan (manufactured and assembled in the USA) and the Honda Odyssey (manufactured and assembled in Canada). :yikes:

The Powerstroke Diesel for all we know could be engineered by BMW or the Harley V-Rod engineered by Porsche. :laugh:

As long as it raises fuel savings 50% to 100% :cool:

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
DoubleTrouble said:
...The Powerstroke Diesel for all we know could be engineered by BMW...
I wouldn't bet on that if I were you.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
Hey Jaybird, I see that there is a new commercial truck in Ford's 05(or 06?) lineup and it's got a 4.5L V6 power stroke. Have you heard anything about when that engine might be seen in the F150? Is this the same engine that was supposed to be in the F150s and has been called the baby power stroke on the those other forums?

Jaybird

Apprentice Goon
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 16, 2001
Charlestown, IN
From what I understand, the F150 should have this motor in '07. They actually wanted to do it before then (this year) but I think they are gunshy from the first year 7.3 Powerstroke came out. The few problems it had was a big problem and they wished they had them sorted out before mass production.
I've heard rumor that they may offer the six cylinder diesel in other models as well.
I will ask my engineering contact today what the latest skinny is.

Top Bottom