differant clutch draggin' problem

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
My clutch drags when I've got the clutch pulled in.
i.e. cant start the bike in gear or push the bike with the clutch pulled.
The clutch engages smooth, not like a "lite switch". The cable is already adjusted so that there is no freeplay in the lever.
There is no variation of when the clutch engages, it always hooks up at the same spot.

My thought's so far are stretching cable, or mabey warped clutch plates. I haven't changed the tranny oil yet (I know, I should have done that right away). Mabey it's to thick????

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
There is nothing really different about your problem. Most bike clutches drag. Some bikes you can start in gear, some you can't. Most of the new 4-strokes can't be started in gear. The thickness of the oil does have something to do with it. My bike normally will start in gear, but when it is cold out, I cannot because there is too much drag. My bike will roll forward with the clutch in while it's cold as well. This is all normal behavior of performance motorcycles.

MXRose3

Nov 29, 2005
could be warped clutch plates or even a warped pressure plate, broken or worn springs, or notches in the basket. Take it apart and inspect everything closely.

cr85rb_rider

Uhhh...
Nov 28, 2006
Mine does that, it will lerch forward when kicking in 1st, i dought anything is wrong.

To kick it in first, i kick to the bottom, and i chop the throtal right before im done with the kick. If i dont give it gas it will never start in 1st.

Hope this helps

oilspot

Sep 11, 2006
I think I'll start by changing the oil (really need to anyhow!!!). I'm going to pull the cable and make sure there is no binding and check the movement of the arm that works the clutch (on the cover).
I'd feel pretty stupid pulling everything apart just to find out it was something simple.

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Make sure you have slight freeplay at the lever or the constant tension will overheat and fry your plates.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
Your bike is a 92? It should have an o-ringed clutch cover. Just pull that and take the screws out that hold the clutch together. Pull a few metal plates and set them on a flat surface to look for warpage. Just realize that clutch drag is a fact of life with motocross bikes.

Top Bottom