Differences between 2000 and 2001 Honda and Yamaha

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I am in the market for a 250 dirtbike and have several lined up to look at this weekend. Does anyone know of any reliability issues with the 2000 or 2001 Honda CR250's, or the 2000 and 2001 YZ250's?

Did Yamaha completely redesign the 2002 model? Since I am a 40 year old that hasn't ridden a dirtbike in 10 years and want to get my kids involved, I'm not concerned with which bike has the best power or suspension, since I won't get the full benefit of either more than likely. I am wondering about reliabilty issues that they may have had like the airbox on the Honda's. I have never owned anything but a Honda, but I had heard they have had some problems with the new frames and that is why I am also considering the Yamaha. I do not like the Suzuki or Kawasaki, just a personal preference and not a slam on them. Dealer support issue also.

If price was equal between 2000's and 2001 which would you buy for harescrambles and trailriding, Honda or Yamaha? If I could get a 2001 for a $500 more is the difference in the bike worth it if the condition is good on both bikes?

I count myself lucky because here in Illinois I basically have a choice of 2000 to 2001 Honda CR250's or YZ250's in the range of $3000 to $3,600. There are plenty for sale so I will be able to choose the best deal but wonder if there are any other considerations to the bikes I should take into account.

Thanks for the help.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I won't matter jack to ya if the '02's frame is different than the '01's your skill level doesn't even warrent the need to even be concerned with it. especially not ridding in 10 yrs you won't even tell the differences I don't want to be rude but thats the str8 up blunt answer. Both bikes will seem like thier light years ahead compared to whatever ya had last.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
BTW I forgot to mention both bikes are very reliable, in fact I've own almost nothing but honda's myself. My '02 YZ has been much more reliable and less tempermental than my '01 CR was (had issue's with my CR but it went away when fixed) and I like my YZ alot more it reminds me of my '86 CR125 and that was my fav bike till now.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
MXP

I think if you reread my post you will see that is exactly what I am saying. I know the performance is a non-issue.

What I am interested in are maintenance or reliabilty problems that may arise. For instance, this airbox leakage on the Honda that requires a new seal. I asked about the change in the 2002 Yamaha to find out why the change was made, was it due to a reliability problem?

Are there any things in used bikes to look for beyond the normal maint and wear and tear things you inspect with any used bike?

S

Saratoga

I too am over 40 and believe that the chromoly YZ frame is more forgiving on the older body. As far as reliability and design it is like Ford vs Chevy. The CR is a very nice bikebut most would probably agree that the aluminum frame transmits jolts to the rider more than chromoly. I have ridden both several times and own the 01 YZ.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Saratoga

Thanks, that is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. I raced when I was younger and after 12 years of marriage FINALLY talked the wife into letting me get bikes for my 9 and 12 year olds. They have never ridden so I bought them a XR70 and XR100 Now it is time for me to get something to chase them around with. If I am lucky she will let me do a harescramble (if I tell her I am just riding with buddies that day and not racing).

I had not thought about the frame stiffness. When I rode everything was chromally so it wasn't something to think about. Since the kids can obviously go all day that is definately something I will have to take into consideration.

How has you Yami been? Any problems or complaints? I have always had Honda's but that was the good old days.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
the airbox thing is only on the 2002 honda, not the 2000 and 2001. just make your best deal, there is not enough difference to matter.

S

Saratoga

My 01 YZ250 has been a very good bike. I have had 6 or 7 CRs and this YZ is my first Yamaha. It is raceable bone stock if you weigh under 180 or are trail riding. Above 180lbs off big jumps and the suspension will bottom hard.
The only noticeable quality difference between the Honda and Yamaha is the hardware. Honda hardware is superior. It has a definate feel when the threads tighten and bolts never come loose. The Yamaha threads stretch and bolts are often coming loose. I loctite everything that isnt changed with regular maintenance like motor mounts, shock bolts, brake bolts, etc. The YZ is better than any other MXer bone stock in 01. As far as 02, the CR is pretty nice. The 4th generation aluminum frame has all the right qualities inclluding flex.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
I have to agree with MX547, there is not enough difference in the two to make a difference. I am extremely pleased with my '01 YZ but I'm sure I would be equally as pleased with a CR, although Honda is widely considered to make the most reliable equipment. I always buy what I think is the best deal. Of course you realize that keeping up with the kids is not going to be a problem, but riding slow enough without fouling plugs left and right might be. You may want to consider a 4 stroke if family trail riding is your main concern.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I totally disagree with the honda having a higher quality in bolts and threads stripping out. This is my first ever YZ I've owned (not to mention the 5 my older bro had) and before that I had mainly CR's and a couple of RM's in there. I can' t tell ANY difference in the build quality of the YZ over the CR. I have loc tite ZERO bolts on my YZ nothing like motor mounts have come loose or sprocket bolts etc and I usually freak out about every month or so and check it to find its still tight. The only bolt that came loose was the one that held on the front # plate big deal. I actually got more than two rides out of the stock chain on my YZ over the CR and they use the same chains stock! In fact the frame welds and engine cases on my YZ are better than my CR was but only marginally they are just cleaner (I think my cr was made on a friday at the end of a shift). Honda is not any better than yamaha I feel that all the japanese bikes are like the same each bike has a dumb design flaw all its own. Take care of your bike it will take care of you. ride red ride blue ride whatever ya want, new bikes today will kick your ass before you can kick thiers :P

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
2001yz250

My biggest problem is going to be how to get something that suits both categories. My kids have never ridden so most of my time will be trail riding with them. However, I do want to do the occasional harescramble or enduro. No more motocross at my age and conditioning, or lack thereof.

The new breek of four strokes would be the ideal situation. However, after buying 3 bikes, riding gear, and a trailer the budge (wife) just won't go far enough for me to buy one of the 250F's. It really sucks also because we have a local dealer that will let me have a new 2002 YZ250F for $4,700 plus tax. Total cost out the door would be $5,005 which is a steal on them. He is overstocked and dealing. But that is about $1,850 more than I can spend now.

Plus old habits die hard, I have only have motocross bikes. Dealer support is nonexistent on Suzuki and Kawi by me so that leaves me with the CR250 or YZ250.

I am looking at a 2000 CR250 this afternoon with White Brother Suspension, Pro Circuit Pipe and Silencer and Renthal bars and sprockets that will let me have for $3,250 out the door, tax and all. If it is in good shape I will probably jump on that. There is also a stock 2001 YZ250 locally for $3,500 that I will look at if the Honda is in rough shape.

I'll post tonight what I found.

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
I think you'd like the YZ more cause it has better bottom end torque power than the CR. The CR wasn't known for being the power house 250 in '00 '01 as the 250 with the most bottom but it has decent bottom. The '00 and especially the '01 YZ are known for having better bottom. Don't get me wrong I love the CR but I think for what you'll be using the bike for the YZ will suit your better I personally feel the YZ will make a better harescrambler. But really, both bikes are really good and with the right mods will be like dead even in the end.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
The 00 Honda I am looking at has the Pro Cicuit pipe and silencer where the 01 YZ250 is stock. Do you think that would even it up as far as motor goes? Keep in mind I have not ridden a bike in a long time, so do you think I could even tell the difference? There is a $250 price difference so I figured I would go with the one in the best condition.

I figured given my riding ability and what I am using them for, power and suspension would be a toss out as far as my decision goes. I have been out of the loop and didn't know if there were any problems with either I should be aware of. I saw the air filter issue but wasn't aware it was this year only. I would be more concerned with reliability issues than which has the best power or suspension. I am still thinking about that stiffness issue which makes me lean a little towards the Yamaha. My kids will go all day so I do not want something hard on the old body.

I have to say I was shocked when I decided to get back into this and started reading the magazines and read how far Honda has fallen. I can remember when all those shootouts and comparisons were a race for second. Oh how far the mighty have fallen. I remember when Honda had the sweetest motor and the biggest complaint was the headshake. If you read a YZ250 comparison it seems like an old comparison on a Honda and they just switched CR250 for YZ250. I never paid much attention to those anyway because unless you are a pro your not going to ride these bikes to their fullest potential anyway. I had always had Hondas so that was what I bought regardless of what the reviews said.

2001yz250

Mar 27, 2002
Well karterron, performance is not an issue so financial value might be. The '01YZ250 has a retail value of about $4500 and the '00 CR250 is about $3700. If it were me and these were the bikes I had to choose from, I would go with the YZ, taking in account they are both in good condition.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Well nothing to report so far. I looked at the 01 YZ and 00 CR and neither were to my liking as far as maint goes. They both had more than 30 or 40 hours on them and nothing had been done to them. The YZ owner told me on the phone the bike only had 10 or 20 hours but the rear wheel had not been greased and the bearing was shot. Also from looking at the lack of paint and wearing on the cases I thought it had at least double that. He had not done anything to the bike so I passed.

I have 3 2000 YZ's lined up today that are priced in the low 3's. I think I am going to go with the advise given here and buy the bike that is in the best overall condition. The extra's won't make enough difference to matter to me. In other words I will buy a stock super clean bike before one that is fully modified but not maintained for the same price.

Fortunately, in my area there are so many to choose from and the prices for 2000's range from $3,000 to $3,500. Sooner or later I will find one.

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by karterron

I have to say I was shocked when I decided to get back into this and started reading the magazines and read how far Honda has fallen.

you must be reading mxa. just buy the yamaha and get it over with.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
I took everyone's advice and just bought a 2000 Yamaha YZ250. Found a deal I could not pass up. He was getting out, so I got the bike and all riding gear for $3,200. Plus this bike was in much better condition than the two I looked at yesterday that wanted $3,500.

I'm stoked, but damn if it isn't raining today. I am going to pick up the kids new bikes tommorrow and hopefully, we will spend Easter chasing that damn rabbit around.

thumpindave

Mar 28, 2002
They are both reliable bikes. The airbox problem that you speak of is in the honda '02 models. The simple fix is to buy a pc racing kit that costs less than $40.

I have a 450 now but I previously rode a '98 yz125 and a '01 CR250. The CR's are much lighter and a lot eaiser to ride. The YZ's are made to be ridden with the throtle pulled back all the way. One major point since you are buying a used bike(I think) is that a Honda is half as much to fix than he yz. The Yamaha's OEM parts cost twice as much as Honda's.

For this simple reason I will never buy a used YZ. Buying a used bike is like rolling the dice.

karterron

~SPONSOR~
Mar 24, 2002
Thumpindave

How do you like the 450? Was the change from a 2 stroke an easy one? I have gotten back into this with my two sons. I had to buy everything all over again and bought them new bikes. By the time I bought their bikes, trailer, hitch, riding gear, and extra's I only had enough left over to get me a used bike. What I am hoping to do is get a CR250F when they come out in the next year or two. At heart I am a Honda man, but I really didn't see much downside risk with the Yamaha either. Never considered anything but Honda or Yamaha though.

I'm suprised you say the Yamaha parts are more. Is that something your finding at the local dealer? I did look in MXA at the parts listed in their prior to buying the YZ250 and I noticed that some things on the Yamaha were cheaper than the Honda and some things on the Honda were cheaper. It did not appear either was much of a difference over the other.

In the end, I went for the best deal I could find. The bike I bought will need about $200 to make it perfect. However, the things it needs are minor for a dirtbike. For instance, it needs new rubbers on both ends and the graphics are worn from the knee brace he wore. Minor stuff for a dirtbike.

I'm looking forward to riding it. You guys were a big help and I appreciate the help.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom