Differences between 520sx and 520mx

TooOld

Sep 16, 2001
I am ready to plunk down my hard-earned bux for a new 2002 520 but, I'm having a hard time deciding between an sx, mxc (or even an exc).

I will be riding mostly motocross with a few hare scrambles thrown in along the way, and maybe even a "fun" enduro or two. There will also be a lot of casual trail riding with my little ones.

Besides the e-button, can someone tell me the basic differences in suspension and gearing in an MX and an SX model?

I was told that the first 4 gears on the MX and the SX are the exact same. Is this true?

What about the suspension differences??

-pat-

Anssi

May 20, 2001
Originally posted by TooOld
I was told that the first 4 gears on the MX and the SX are the exact same. Is this true?

Yes.

What about the suspension differences??

The SX has the 48 mm forks that are miles better than the 2001 43mm forks. The EXC and MXC have the 43mms but I hear they have been upgraded internally.

The MXC also has a huge tank and a 18" rear wheel.

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
I sat on a MXC today at my dealer, and did NOT like the huge tank at all, makes the bike feel bulky, other than that, the real differences are;
Suspension - depending on your weight and abilities, you'll probaly end up fine tuning it anyways.
Tranny - You may find the MX & SX ratios a bit wide for woods work, but after gearing down, (sprockets) I doubt that'll be a problem.

MXC - E-start SX - no e-start

Top Bottom