Differences between E/XC and M/XC?

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
I was wondering, what are the differences between the KTM e/xc and m/xc models aside from the obvious gas tank, lights, odo? I am considering for my next bike either a 400 or 200 e/xc or m/xc. I am currently riding a 2001 cr125 (75% woods, 25% mx). I really like the light weight of the cr, but wish for more bottom end. I have seen Shane Watts ride a 200 e/xc on a motocross track and was very impressed, how would the 400 e/xc or m/xc handle moderate motocross riding?

fuzz

Nov 27, 2000
we, (all of us at the shop), have decided the best all around
bike ktm offers is the 400sx.
good power, light weight, 6-speed tranny...
all it needs added for a "do it all" bike is more fuel capacity.

the 200 is fun everywhere too.
however, when you are looking at an offroad bike for mx...its always
pretty lousey on a modern supercrash track.

the 200mxc has a close ratio box...leaves it a bit short on top speed

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
I do prefere 4-stroke power, but not difficult starting and added weight. I know that the weight of the 400 sx is low, what is your experience with the ease of starting?

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
I have ridden a DRZ 400 briefly and I really liked the power delivery but not the weight and I believe that the suspension is way to soft to get off the ground. How does the power delivery of the KTM 400 compare to the drz and zy426?

jeb

Jul 21, 1999
In a bad getoff, there can be starting issues. I know guys who've had to kick RFS's for several minutes after dumping them. I've had my estart crank for a long time after a couple of crashes and I was sure glad I wasn't kicking it!!

The power delivery is very linear. Very easy to ride. Not like the brutal hit of the YZ4xx. Probably more in line with the DRZ but I've never ridden one of those.

B

biglou

I probably should have added that my experience starting the 400SX was a one-time thing and under normal circumstances. The owner said "Just kick it. Don't even pull the decomp lever." The power felt very linear to me, like JEB said. My old DRZ had amazing low-end grunt. I was thoroughly impressed with it. The 400SX felt similar, but with slightly less on the low end but a bit more rev to it.

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
Sounds like the 400 m/xc would be a great all around motorcycle and have the magic button. But they cost quite a bit more than the sx I believe.

Sounds like finding one is more of a problem than deciding which one to buy.

jds22

Nov 5, 2001
Just a note, I went into a shop and was looking at their KTM's and asked the salesman what the difference was between the EXC and the MXC, He said "E stands for electric start." After he walked away I had the darndest time finding the electric start. :)

fuzz

Nov 27, 2000
what a pinhead.
all gods children know the mxc and the exc are electric start.

all the ktm thumpers start easy with the lever.
the bike you are wanting would require suspension work on the exc,
or a fuel tank and seat...and e-start on the sx.
(the mxc has the huge tank and soft suspension)

the sx has the new trick suspension and the mxc and the exc don't..
but, if you are doing of-road...you get my point

just gotta decide on priorities

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
KTM .vs KTM

Jay,
I understand your indecisiveness. I can tell you that I sold my YZ125 (hare scramble/mx bike) and considered a KTM 200, but bought a 2001 KTM 400MXC in July. I have not regretted it one bit! The bike is MUCH more forgiving than a 125. Easier to ride. Less nervous. I can now concentrate on the trail instead of my clutch and shifting. I did add stiffer springs for the sandy whoop de doos around here. The ride is very plush. You cannot get away with murder on it like a 125 (big mistakes), but it is rather forgiving. Also my father recently bought a 400EXC. I have ridden them several weekends back to back and can tell you it's hard to notice a hell of a lot of difference. The EXC's tank feels a bit lower. He liked my range and so he even bought an MXC tank. I have to admit I like NOT having to fuel during the hare scrambles anymore. The E start has also allowed me to start in the top 2 at each race so far this year. A nice advantage as well. As you can tell, I'm not missing the YZ 125...heck, I'm thinking of selling the YZ 250. Feel free to ask me any questions...and good luck with your decision!

Paul

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
That is great info, I have been considering the 200 in order to keep the light weight. However, I really believe I would be a better rider on a 4-stroke (my background is in 4-stroke ****s). My cr125 is a great bike, but I ride 75% woods 25% mx. I am getting tired of the lack of bottom end in the woods and constant clutching and shifting. My mx riding is not that agressive, I will never be RC or MC. But I do enjoy a few 40 ft doubles and tabletops.

I know that KTM markets the m/xc as a cross between mx and woods, so it sounds like that would suit me, but will I still be able to make my few 40 ft doubles or will it require extensive suspension work? The e button sounds sounds great. That would probably be the biggest reason I would buy a KTM. As far as the 400sx, I think for the same money I would buy a CRF450 instead.

Coming off of a 125, does the weight difference really bother you, or is it something you get used to quickly? Also, I have heard several people complain about the m/xc's tank being too large, is that really an issue, if so is the e/xc tank any better?

The only other draw back of the KTM to me is the price. I know the saying you get what you pay for. Is this the case with KTM, after riding Hondas for years, I know that they are very reliable machines.

Also, how does the KTM handle? This is quite a bit more weight than a 125 motocross bike, and I know that yamahas handle razor sharp (in the right hands).

I know that I ask alot of questions, but when you are considering a $6000 motorcycle, you had better get all the info you can.

Thanks for the advice.

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
Going Pumpkin after jap snacks...

Jay,
Here you go..it's my own perspective. If you are a diehard for the light weight, then buy a 200. If not, then buy a 400. Honestly, the only time I feel the weight is when I've crashed (not often) and I have to pick it up. The bike feels light when rolling. It rides even better. The over all feel is more stable and not as nervous as a 125. Also realize the suspension is valved for off road. It is much plusher than my YZ's or CRF's. While that may not be good at a supercross track, it is fantastic everywhere else.
You'll have no trouble on the table tops. If you are heavy, then add stiffer springs. That's the only mod I felt I needed to make (I'm >210 lbs.). Read this weeks Cycle news and you'll see Guy Cooper (KTM 520 EXC) gave Doug Dubach (White Brothers Factory YZ 426) all he wanted in the VET WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP in California. So, yeah she'll Moto! Shoot, this weekend at the Winter Olympics in FL (I was there) KTM 520's and 400's were winning motos at one of the top 3 Amateur events in the country.
The E button is an advantage. I saw two CRF 450 riders stalling their bikes on flat turns and then they could not get it started afterwards. Sad! I felt for them. Realize that the KTM comes with factory components you will have to pay extra for on any Japanese bike! The Magura (Pro Taper style) handle bars are what a factory bike comes with, add a REAL Twin Air Filter, better suspension components (look at the quality when you go to the shop), standard frame guards, a triple clamp/bar component that is 3 way adjustable!, a spark arrestor (or not) standard, you get to choose transmission (Wide ratio EXC or MX style MXC), 3 (2.0 SX, 2.9 EXC, 3.9 MXC)extra tank options (I personally like the MXC tank...it is a great fit...but sit on them in the shop...you'll know when you do), DID chains, real sprockets, an Italian seat cover(!), model flexibility no Japanese brand can offer, and to top it off, reliability on their new 4 strokes has been beyond good. Read the accompanying YZ 250F crank horror stories (yikes). So, a japanese bike seems like a bargain until you add up what you REALLY have to spend. I know, I did it on my YZ's for years. I'm not doing that again. It costs too much! As far as the handling, I'll be honest and say I'm not sure what all the hoopla was about. I felt comfortable on the thing right away. It may be because the 4 stroke decompression puts more weight on it when turning. I really was surprised. Some say the 520 is more of a handful...but that the 400 let's you get away with a lot more (like a 125) due to less rotating mass. I rode it back to back the other weekend with my YZ 250 and to be honest, I'm amazed at how similar they are (handling wise). Where the KTM shines is in rough terrain. Braking bumps, chop, square edged stuff, etc...It really is much easier to ride. If you are looking for an all around motorcycle, you'd be hard pressed to choose otherwise. Read this weeks Cycle News.

If you were closer to NC I'd let you ride it one weekend. Let me know.

Good Luck,

Paul

Jay-R

Nov 27, 2001
WOW!

This is the information I have been wanting to hear. I guess I will have to find my nearest KTM dealer (not close by). I do like the light weight of the 125, but having spent every bit of 15 minutes on a DRZ, I realize that the weight sure does make the bike feel more stable and much less busy than a 125. Especially on these "eastern trails" rocky, rooted and rutted. Instead of bouncing and glancing off of small obstacles, the DRZ seemed to walk right over. As far as the suspension, at a weight with gear of 190 lbs., I should be okay with the factory suspension. I know that everyone has their own opinion, but around here there aren't that many KTM's on the trails. Maybe there should be!

Thank you for being so thorough, if I was closer to NC I would take you up on your offer. I will have to find that Cycle News.

If you are ever interested in coming to western KY, (Paducah), to ride at Turkey Bay look me up.

Top Bottom