Differences between the '02 CRF450's & the '03's?

Jonny Quest

Apr 8, 2003
About to purchase my first CRF450, i'm looking at the '02/'03, what are some/all the differences between them the two?
(Hicks gave me a VERY informative answer on Thumpertalk...)
I an "INPUT" junky!!
Thanks!
Jon

boardadikt

May 20, 2003
The 02 had an airbox problem and were able to be fixed pretty easily
The 02 needs to have aftermarket offset triple clamps put on in order to handle properly--fixed on the 03 (they changed the triple clamps and the linkage). There was alot of minor changes to give it more low end grunt. That is all that I can think of.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by boardadikt
The 02 needs to have aftermarket offset triple clamps put on in order to handle properly--.

That's a matter of opinion. Lots of us have been very pleased with the handling of our '02s using the stock clamps. :thumb:

MXN4FUN

Jul 7, 2000
Well I love my '02 so much I'm still riding it. This from a guy whom has the means and did buy a new bike every year just to make me feel better about my diminishing skills. This has been the longest I've owned and raced the same bike since the seventies. Yes I have ridden the new stuff yet can't find a reason to update yet. Clamps do help but the problem only shows it's head in sand, front likes to tuck under. Everywhere else it is fine. The air box deal was no biggie, I think most of the gaps were caused by guys yanking off the sub frame. Air boot fits very snug. I know I'll get heat for this but some people say they had bad valves, I'm still going strong on the same ones . I think the valve problems showed up when guys use the shifter instead of the brake to slow down. No mechanical rev limiter. It is a typical Honda buy it ride it and love it . Lasts forever!

Nimrod

Nov 7, 2003
I just bought an 02 CRF and went with this bike because you can still Calif green sticker the 02's and ride them off road, the 03's and 04's are Calif red sticker bikes which means they are illegal to ride on public land (sucks). I have read everything about the CRF450 I could get my hands on and as far as I know the differences between the 02 and 03 are as follows. The 03 went with a different linkage which pushed up the a$$ end which made the forks steeper and improved turning, they also changed the subframe to keep the 02 seat height. The cam, ignition, muffler, and carb received mods to increase bottom end and throttle response. The forks are 10mm longer and have a little more travel. The 02 airbox leaked and this was fixed for 03, it also flows a little better and has a larger element. The shifter is different (longer I believe) and the bars are slightly further forward and the seat slightly taller to open up the cockpit a little. All in all there were no huge wholesale changes and modified 02's are still very competitive even against 04's. HTH

Top Bottom