differences in a 200 & a 250. I don't need the specs

skos

Jan 24, 2009
New guy to KTM. I have had a bunch of bikes, mostly in the KX family. Mostly 250's & 125's.

My question is what are the main differences in a 200 & a 250. I don't need the specs. I have found those already.

Looking for your .02 only if you have rode both.

I am 5’11 & 230lbs. I like that I can throw around the 125 but it lacks the power to hill climb that we some times do.

Thanks in advance :cool:

Side note is a do mostly woods riding

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
KTM dealers are generally pretty good about having demo days, find one and go ride them to make sure which one works for you.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
Ridden a few of each, several different years.

Both the 200 and 250 are a hoot to ride. The 200 is very light and nimble, and has amazingly good power for a 200. It rewards you if you ride aggressively, but does not tire you out like a big bore bike. It will crawl over nasty stuff quite well.

Love the 250 also. Almost as light, a little more power everywhere.

It really comes down to rider preference and how well each bike is set up for the conditions. When dialed in, both bikes are tremendously fun. IMO, there is alot to be said for either choice.

The heavier your weight and the steeper the mountains you ride in and the higher the altitude, the more likely I would go with the 250. Personally, I prefer the 200 and 250 over the 300, as the smaller bikes tire me out less.

skos

Jan 24, 2009
Patman said:
KTM dealers are generally pretty good about having demo days, find one and go ride them to make sure which one works for you.

I wish I knew of a dealer that would let me take out a bike into the woods. Not happening around here. Also I am looking at used.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
If you ride or race in wide open spaces and climb long steep hills, either bike will really need to be pushed hard to keep up with comparable riders on new 450s or larger bikes. The 250 will be a bit closer match with the new big bore 4 strokes on those kind of rides.

But in the woods, especially trails without brutal long climbs, these bikes are about as good as it gets, IMO. At your weight, the conventional choice would be the 250, but I'm pretty sure you would love the 200 as well.

snowboy

Jul 31, 2002
I've ridden both from multiple years too. I really prefer the 250 to the 200. Dirt bike dave is right, though, the 200 will reward you handsomely with agressive riding. I am about your size and ride gnarly single track(sandstormers member in marquette, help on national enduro trail)... with the 200 i would actually where myself out muscling the bike around because i am not an agressive rider. The hillclimb issue is more a matter of skill than power unless its a huge sand pit your trying to climb. At our trail on climbs, I pass a lot of guys on 450's that don't know how to use the power. On technical sections i just turn in the power valve screw 1/2 to 1 turn and i have all the bottom end i need, in fact it's walked away right from underneath me a few times. So hill climbing is really not a factor until you get above 5,000 ft elevation in my opinion.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
skos said:
I wish I knew of a dealer that would let me take out a bike into the woods. Not happening around here. Also I am looking at used.
It's pretty easy to find a dealer in most areas, you might have to travel a bit but that's all part of it. I don't know of many dealers that would just turn you loose but I know of a few in Texas that have designated ride days where you fill out a form and can go on a designated loop. Heck we even had it at Dirt Week one year.

No matter based on the few rides I have taken advantage of I'd go for a 200EXC for the type of riding I do.

rheighes

May 15, 2005
If I were as big as you I would go for 250 or even 300. Being a little guy I ride a 200. The 250 is a little more forgiving, and easier to put power down than my 200, but when the traction is good there aint nothin more fun than a 200 in the woods. But when its sloppy and slick the little bike spins alot more, to the point that riders on bigger 2 strokes and 4 strokes that normally I out run leave me behind, especially on long up hill climbs.

1Bigdog

May 3, 2023
I’ve been riding for 62 years, have owned several bikes, did the majority of my riding in Colorado on trails we snowmobile on in winter. My home was at 8800’ , I said (was) as a forest fire destroyed our home garage and all contents leaving only memories and ashes. Lost my 83 XR200, and my old 69 Yamaha 175 enduro, 3 ATVs and 2 collector cars.
On subject, we’re finally rebuilding things more fun than our home. purchased a 1985 XR200 basket case, have finally found a ‘83 XL250 for engine swap.I chose the 250 over going to a 200 2 valve model as the 250 has such an improved engine, speaking of the components specifically the cam drive, valves which are stronger in multiples than the 200 has. I said that, after looking back on my original XR, and acknowledging I never had a single problem with the cam drive or any other system. That original bike never went back to the dealer or any other servicing company, I changed oil, checked valve adjustments and replaced a few spark plugs and 4 sets of tires/ tubes in the aproximately 37 years I owned the bike.
The re- engined Honda will take me on many new adventures, as I explore my new home now in New Mexico mountains. At my time in life, I happily traded speed for dependability and new vistas.

Top Bottom