Digital Camera Recommendation - Best For Action Shots

Kawidude

D'oh!
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 23, 2000
Yeah, you actually want to use the "Unsharp Mask" instead of "Sharpen." The Unsharp Mask will allow you to tweak it until you like it. If you go overboard with the Unsharpen command you'll see that the image will start to pixelate a bit. The best way to learn in Photoshop is to just play with stuff and see what you like. Looks like you're already getting the hang of it!

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Get Photoshop (Version ___) for the Digital Photographer by Scott Kelby. It has more than you'll ever want to know about photoshop. It'll teach you how to use curves, levels, unsharp mask, along with everything else. Photoshop is an amazing program, if you know how to use it.

As for why pro pictures are so much better, they have the tools and know how to get these amazing pictures. Getting pictures to 'pop' with vivid color is not hard to do in photoshop, with the knowledge. I have a Canon Powershot G3 that takes pretty good pictures, the colours are quite vivid, and crystal clear. The only downfall of the camera is its zoom (35-140) and the lack of good continuous mode (I think it is only around 2fps, for about 4-5 shots on top quality). The absolute best would be the Canon 1D Mark 2, but it costs about $5000.

If you're considering the rebel, make sure you get fast lenses for action shots, preferably f4.0 or less (f2.8 or lower is the best, but those lenses are usually only Canon 'L' (pro) lenses that'll cost more than the camera).

If anybody wants any specific questions answered, just send me an email at speedymaniac@hotmail.com, photography is my other main hobby besides dirtbiking. Make sure you put 'Cameras' or something like that in the subject line.

B

biglou

Thanks for all the info guys. I'll try the unsharpen and see what it does. Speedy-I was doing some reading about the lenses, etc. Really interesting stuff. I've found a nice package for sale with the Rebel and two aftermarket lenses and a ton of memory and extras for about 1300 I think. I'll be doing some more research in the future before I make a decision. Maybe I can skip a couple mortgage payments...

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I have a guy at work who keeps offerring to let me borrow his rebel for a race weekend. I know how borrowed stuff survives with me and I hate replacing with a new and keeping the old broken. That aside I really want the rebel also. I have a canon rebel 35mm film with 3 super lenses which will just lock on so as soon as the kid stops breaking things I just might save enough to get one
I posted a shot he took one of the first days he had the camera in my galery. The shot is unedited except to downsize it. He also took several multi bursts of up to 5 shots in less the 2 seconds which are incredible quality

Last edited:

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
biglou said:
OK, stupid question time: What is it that makes the "professional" shots so much more colorful and vivid? Is it the resolution (megapixels), the lens quality, the program they use to "develop" the shots? Is it the fact that they are SLR cameras? I'm really lusting after the digital rebel...

Other than my Mavica, the only other camera I've ever used is my AE-1 Program that I got for Xmas back in 1983 or 84!

I know, I need to hit steve's digicam site and do some reading...

Consider this .... the Canon D30 that I purchased 2 years ago for $2,200 can be found on that popular auction site for $500 or less almost any day. Depends on the number/quality of lens that you see advertised with it

As crim said, lens quality is the real issue. The more you spend the better the quality. Although there are bound to be those that disagree with me, I prefer to buy prime lens, rather than aftermarket and always buy the fastest (lowest F stop) that I can afford. Once you settle on a camera type, be it Nikon, Canon, Minolta or whatever, collect lens that will work with any body you purchase. I use the Canon EF series lens as my base

As far as "rich" color, a circular polarizer filter is the trick there and shooting 90 degrees to the location of the sun. I started carrying my D30 in a backpack on our recent trip to Moab because of the strong sun that left my point-and-shoot camera washing out the color.

As far as point-and-shoot, I like the Canon ELPH series. They are bullet proof and use the same CF cards as my D30, so it saves me money on memory. It is OK on action shots, but I prefer the D30.

Regarding megapixels, both cameras are right at 4.0, which isn't top of the line, but more than adequate for my purposes.

One neat thing about the ELPH is it's ability to make movies. The movies and many of the photos at Moonrocks were taken with the ELPH, while I used the D30 when we went partying.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001

TwistNShout

Nov 19, 2003
I resized a couple photos and now they are totally blurry and I can't even get them back to their original state. :bang:

I have resized photos in the past without this happening but I have a friend who is a REAL wiz with this type of stuff that is going to fix them for me.

Hopefully he can direct me to the best digital camera for ACTION shots as well.

Nothing more frustrating than trying to get a shot of somebody in the air and when I click at the exact moment I WANT to get the photo, and it takes a moment or two.....and I just missed a great shot! :uh:

Last edited:
B

biglou

Yes, the bikes been ridden, mr. smartypants! ;) It's that new B&S power washer and proclean bike cleaner and plastic polish. Good stuff!

I'll be taking it to the track this weekend (the camera and the bike). Ed and his neighbor are coming over and Tony E is coming up from Tejas. I think Jamir is going to make it out too, maybe even Al. Should be lots of crappy riding to take pics of, lol.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
FWIW, I ended up buying a Canon PowerShot S60. Very happy and impressed with it so far, but haven't read the manual to figure out how to use all the settings. I'll post some sample action shots when I get back in town. It's very compact, very little delay between shots, and has a wide angle.

B

biglou

Hmm, well, it seems that shooting on medium/fine setting only utilzes 2.3 of the 6.3 megapixels. So both those shots i linked to are the same resolution. Looks like the processor might be a bit better in the Rebel! ;)

I also got access to an online tutorial sight with approximately 40 lessons. Starts with the basics and goes up from there. Hopefully I get some good shots this weekend.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Damn you Lou!

All this talk about new camera's, and that link to Steve's website, I found myself SHOPPING for a new camera a few nights ago. Yesterday I took the plunge and bought a "highend" point and shoot Canon S1 IS (http://consumer.usa.canon.com/ir/controller?act=ModelDetailAct&fcategoryid=144&modelid=9824&sa=true)

This Camera has great features and best of all, I found it online for $298 delivered. I haven't had a nice camera in many years so I'm excited to get back into the hobby.

Damn you Lou!

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
That's a huge difference. Was that a lot of work or did you simply have to apply some "filters" (sorry, I'm photoshop stupid). It looks like it was taken with a different camera.

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Hey Lou, fun stuff, have you ever tried Paint Shop Pro 8, I was turned on to it when it was Pro 6 and it was so much faster to use, I quite using PhotoShop altogether

Also, for some good plug-in filters: http://www.asf.com/ I have save some great shots, shot poorly and had them end up on a cover

Top Bottom