Digital Cameras..... Which to get

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I'd like to get a digital camera and have a few qualifications for the camera I get. Read these and tell me if you guys have any ideas on a good one.

#1 I want it to take the picture EXACTLY when I push the button. Some digital cameras I have used are really bad when taking action shots because they have a delay from when you push the button to when it revvs up and takes the shot.

#2 I want one with a high enough Megapixel rating that I can blow up a picture to an 8x10 and have it look like it was shot with 35mm film.

#3 I want one with a good OPTICAL zoom.

#4 I am not sure what memory source is the best to get so also list what is the best memory "flavor" to get

Thanks!

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
I think I'm going withthe Kodak Easyshare. It doesn't require a ton of expertise, has a 4 M pixel res. and a docking station of which you can dock it and print immediately. It also has a 4x optical zoom, which I like over the digital zoom.

Don't go the camcorder w/still shots route. I love my sony but the still shots leave a lot to be desired.

The Koday Easyshare isn't something you would want if you are really serious about photo editing, it doesn't have all the frills.

Check it out on www.cnet.com

125 rider

Sponsoring Member
Oct 1, 2000
It sounds like the important factor here is the lag-time, the rest should be easy. You want at least a 3 megapixel camera. Look for a camera with 4x optical zoom or better (ignore digital zoom, this can be done on a computer anyway). There are many memory "flavors" and most of them are good but I happen to like Sony's memory stick pro. Another consideration is the power source. I like cameras that use regular re-chargeable NiMh batteries instead of expensive proprietary battery packs.

Last edited:

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
I've been using an Olympus C300 for a couple of years now. I hate the delay (like you said) and the color reproduction isn't the greatest. But the photos are certainly sharp. 3 megapix will look pretty good on paper. The Olympus also has a nice optical and digital zoom.

The one piece of advice I took when I bought it was to make sure to get one with a good lens. Typically the film camera manufacturers do a better job with this. The lens is where the photo begins. If it's not good going into the camera, it sure won't be good coming out.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I was pretty happy with my Sony until someone liked it better than me.

It did have a lag while it did th autofocus and other auto-settings, but if you pointed where you wanted to take the picture, pressed the button halfway until the green light came on, and then waited for your subject to get there, it took the picture instantly when you finished pressing the button the rest of the way.

I'm considering a cheap one that I could afford to use as a helmet cam... http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2962936613&category=43459

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Canon D1s w/ a 80-200 2.8 ultarsonic lens, then I can borrow it :yeehaw: :yeehaw:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Dat's a nice camera Dave. I wish!

Jonny426

~SPONSOR~
Apr 30, 2001
I've got an olympus c-720. 3.3 m.pixtels,8x optical,3x digital zoom. It has a number of shooting modes, including a fast action setting which works well for me. The camera is easy to use and in SHQ (super hi quality) mode puts out great 8x10's. Don't forget a good digital camera is only as good as the printer output... 5 megapixtels and a crappy printer won't give the results you want.

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
The only cameras the have no noticable shutterlag are SLRs, which range from $1000 (Canon EOS Digital Rebel including a 18-55mm EFS lens) to $9000 without lens. I'm not sure, but I think the new Sony F828, Minolta A1 and Nikon Coolpix 5700 have very little shutter lag. I shoot with a Canon Powershot G3, and all I do is I push the shutter button half way down to lock focus and shutter/aperture settings ahead of time then there is no shutter lag when I take the picture. I also love my camera, and it's pretty cheap, and makes very good 8x10 prints. You will need 4 megapixels to make good 8x10 prints. Check out http://www.steves-digicams.com/ and look in the forums and at the reviews. Good luck, and remember to include spare batteries/memory cards in your price. Also, CompactFlash cards are the cheapest and most common form of memory card, just something to consider.

Top Bottom