GreenMan

Feb 1, 2001
Here is one for you guys (and gals). My 98 kdx 220 has had the headlight dim to about 20% of its normal brightness more than once. I did not think much about it until we were on the trails miles from the camp a couple of weeks ago. There seems to be no event that causes this. It just happens without warning. One clue I have is that I got ticked off and reved the engine hard and the headlight went back to normal operation much to my suprise. Now the headlight is bright even at idle. I think I know what it is, but I want some other opinions before I purchase anything.

See if anyone can shed some light on the issue.

Mooooooaaaaaaaaan. I'm sorry. That was bad.

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
What do I win if i'm right???

Assuming this is a stock shell? A stock headlight?

There are two filaments in the OEM bulb, but only one is wired to hot,but both are grounded.

If one of your filament hangers is broken or wobbly, you'll get the filaments touching periodically..then you'll be trying to run70 watts of filament with a stock lighting coil.

Now, I suppose you'll say its a halogen bulb, and you have an 80 watt stator??:silly:

That's a pretty bright idea, huh???

GreenMan

Feb 1, 2001
Survey Says!

It looks like consolation gifts only. :(

The lighting system is stock. I have replaced the light bulb recently with a stock gold plated precision new and improved version from Kaw. At least it ought to be for the price. The light, when bright is at it's proper level. It is in unusually dim when dim. The light is barely visible on the ground in front of the bike in total darkness. I have had the rev thing work more than once, so I think that I am on to something.

Thanks for the reply though.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
I think you have a poor ground connection. The engine revving causes enough vibration to reestablish the connection temporarily, then after awhile the connection starts to go bad again.

dhoward

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 7, 2000
I think you should send the prize to Spanky.
There's a conductive anti-oxident grease called Contax that electricians use. Prevents corrosion. I use it on all of my ground points.

spanky250

Mod Ban
Dec 10, 2000
Originally posted by dhoward
There's a conductive anti-oxident grease called Contax that electricians use. Prevents corrosion. I use it on all of my ground points.
I use a similar product called Noalox. It is designed specifically to prevent corrosion at electrical connections were two dissimilar metals are joined, such as aluminum and copper, or aluminum and steel in the case of a bike's ground connection.

Canadian Dave

Super Power AssClown
Apr 28, 1999
Checking the grounds and switch is going to be an excellent starting point. If that doesn't fix the problem reverse the bulb and run it off the second filament to insure that's not the problem. You can get the same bulb much cheaper than Kawasaki sells them for. Sage suggested trying your local John Deer dealer, they use the same bulb in some applications and it will sell for much less. Any reseller should be able to get you a bulb as well.

If going through the wiring doesn't solve your problem you'd better break out your multi meter and check the lighting coil. There could be bad coil wire internally that periodically shorts, I've had that problem before :( though on a much older bike.

Have you checked/tested the voltage regulator?

Does your rear bulb dim at the same time? Check it out it might narrow down the cause.

David

Oct 3, 2000
If i remember correctly - GreenMan's lights are always slightly more dim then the rest of us when we are out riding!:eek:

Front/Rear/Whatever

(Sorry - when i posted this i did not realize that i was logged in under Wendy's nick:scream: )

Last edited:

GreenMan

Feb 1, 2001
Thanks for the suggestions. I will give you an update. The rear headlight is a good indication of the status of the coil or the ground. Good call.

Top Bottom