Dino or Synthetic for Break in?

hazzard74

Mar 1, 2009
I was at the dealer the other day to pick up some dino based 2-stroke oil for my top end assembly and initial break in for a new piston.
When I mentioned using a dino oil for the break in, he looked at me funny :whoa: and said just use whatever oil you plan on using long term.

Aren't you suppose to use dino oils for a break in, or have I just been held back another year in the old-skool?

hazzard74

Mar 1, 2009
I'm using a Wiseco piston.
I bought the bike last summer without knowing the condition of the top end. I figured if I was going to tear it down to check it, I might as well just change it out and know where I stand. Plus I wanted to inspect the KIPS valve.

Also, I forgot to mention, it's a 97 KDX 220

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Doesn't matter for a 2 stroke. Just make sure you do a good job of deglazing the cylinder crosshatching so the rings can seat quickly and properly.

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
Sandman 2.0 said:
I don't believe it makes a difference on a 2 stroke. I've always used what I usually run and never had an issue.

I'm sure the far majority of new bikes are never broken in by the book and I'm still not sure how important this is.

Wiseco Tech says to use a non-synthetic for the first tank or two
of fuel, Run the motor at various throttle without revving too high and put a few heat cycles on the motor before riding too aggressive. A heat cycle is up to operating temperature for 5-10 min. and then let cool down to air temperature.

A little insurance like this could never hurt :nod:

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
hazzard74 said:
I was at the dealer the other day to pick up some dino based 2-stroke oil for my top end assembly and initial break in for a new piston.
When I mentioned using a dino oil for the break in, he looked at me funny :whoa: and said just use whatever oil you plan on using long term.

Aren't you suppose to use dino oils for a break in, or have I just been held back another year in the old-skool?

It's not really his fault , it's never been explained out to him the difference. Sounds like most bike shops to me.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
If there was a difference in break-in performance, the Kawasaki Owner's Manual would have warned us to use only conventional two-stroke oil for break-in in it's detailed break-in procedure.
That they don't is another reason I don't believe it makes one bit of difference.

NCFRC

Jul 23, 2007
mudpack said:
If there was a difference in break-in performance, the Kawasaki Owner's Manual would have warned us to use only conventional two-stroke oil for break-in in it's detailed break-in procedure.
That they don't is another reason I don't believe it makes one bit of difference.

You may be right :cool:

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
:fft: What does Kawasaki know? My uncle used to race stock cars and he says..............

Kawi4life

Feb 21, 2005
23 years of riding...never broke in a motor by the book and my **** always ran like a champ and never had any problems (but I don't purposely abuse the motors).

I remember when I brought home my 04 KX250, I warmed it up good, and was doing holeshots with it brand new off the showroom floor, lol. Bike ran perfect and reliable from day one to the time I sold it (actually I remember doing the same exact thing with every brand new bike I've owned except the 450f 4-stroke where I don't have any experience with it I did ride it slow for about 10/15 minutes, before ripping on it hard, lol.)

BTW, I've always like synthetics for premix and ran them from day one in my 2-strokes with no break in other than warming up the engine good, lol.

Top Bottom