Dirt bike boots, and feeling the shifter

TomA

Jul 15, 2008
I'm a new member (and rider), and hope this is the proper place for this question. Just got motodross boots and find it id hard to get the toe under the shift lever, and that I can't feel it shift. How do I know the shift occurred?

Thanks, TomA

LEllis7motox

Jan 28, 2008
I had the same problem last year when i got my first pair of boots. It seemed hard to shift i could never do it and i dumped it a couple times trying to shift. But after a couple days i just got used to it and i can shift with them fine now. Honestly i dont know if the boots need to be broken in or you just get the hang of it but just keep practicing.

flying flea

Mar 18, 2008
It is normal not to feel it with your foot, but after a while you'll notice right away by the sound of the engine if you hit it or didn't. If it is hard to get your toe under the shifter, move it up some until it is comfortable.

TomA

Jul 15, 2008
Thanks for the replies. I'll keep trying to get used to the boots (and shifting). I'll see if the shift lever is adjustable.

TomA

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Welcome, TomA!

As a starting point, the shifter should be even with the top of the left footpeg. Also, the farther forward on the bike that you are, the easier it will be to get your toes under the shifter.

I'll move this to the riding techniques forum, but I think the first two posters have already done a good job of answering your questions.

racer09

Mar 7, 2006
ye had that same problem. I have a big foot and had troble movin my foot and feeling where it was, so i just got a used pair of tech 10's off a friend and it helped a lot

Apr 30, 2007
Move the shift lever up a notch...then give it some time, even if you are missing a shift occasionally...after a few hours on the bike, or a few days of riding, they'll start to break in. Then move the shift lever back down that notch, and it should work well for you!

gopat

Mi. Trail Riders
Jun 19, 2007
Another thing. Do your boots have aggressive tread, like a hiking boot. These boots might be handy for ATV's but a bear to ride a dirt bike since it makes it difficult to slide your feet along the peg and feel the shift/brake lever.

I bought a similar pair for cheap.... Almost threw them away till my son ground off all the tread... Now I can feel a pebble when i walk and I can feel the shifter just fine.

Top Bottom