dirt bike helmets....any brand to watch out for?

stevet

Jan 11, 2005
I have an arai (road) helmet....and I've had Bell offroad helmets in the past (ok, it was a long time ago....lol).

Shoei, Suomy, MSR, Fox I'm assuming are quality brands....what about HJC,,,,,

any others brands I should check out?.....I like the Arai and the Shoei's but they do cost more than others....and I know well enough not to by a cheap (poor quality) helmet....

just curious what you guys/gals suggest....

looking to get back into dirt riding...so I'm buying some gear in advance of my bike purchase.....looking at maybe a used wr450F perhaps.....I like the new honda 450X and the suzuki RM450Z.....but a new bike may be out of my price range ....

moore_716

Jun 1, 2005
the new 661 helmet is very nice for the price. In most cases all snell helmets are good; fox, thor, TLD, Oneal, etc., etc. There really aren't that many different manufacturers. KBC makes the majority of the private label helmets I listed. Mainly keep an eye on how the helmet fits and make sure the eyeport is big enough for the goggles you like. I have a Troy Lee helmet which is an excellent lid, but I had a hell of a time geting goggles to fit. Oakleys work.

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
The most important thing to look for is a good fit. After that you can base your decision on anything that makes sense to you. Unlike street helmets, there isn't a great variation between brands as far as features go. Don't assume that the higher priced helmets will protect you any better, because they don't. They just cost more (my flame suit is on).

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
Personally, I will not wear a helmet that's made of polycarbonate (the shell) or does not have a Snell rating. I have an Arai VX-Pro and really like it. I also have a Shoie street helmet and a M2R dirt helmet. All are decent, but the Arai is my favorite.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
bikepilot said:
Personally, I will not wear a helmet that's made of polycarbonate (the shell) or does not have a Snell rating.

Funny, I don't think I'd ever wear a helmet that didn't have a polycarbonate shell. Recent tests show that the fiberglass/composite shells are too stiff, allowing too much acceleration to the brain.

Moreover, SNELL standards may not represent "real world" performance (i.e. two impacts in the same location) and might do more harm then good to riders. There is a recent article in Motorcyclist (June 2005) that provides very good information. At this writing, the article is not available online.

A thread has been started on this subject though ---> http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?t=116923

bikepilot

Nov 12, 2004
I've seen the thread, I have also seen what happens when someone crashes in a poly carb helmet and have done some very un-scientific testing of my own. DOT tests at 5mph, I typically ride a little faster than that:) Based on what I have seen I will not wear a polycarb helmet, they bounce and transfer tremondous energy to a riders head.

CaptainObvious

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
You are just wrong. And you are completely unaware of NHTSA FMVSS218 requirements. A copy of the test can be found HERE.

The drop test is conducted from a height of 54.5 to 72 inches and the headform is accelerated to a speed of approximately 19 ft./sec, or 13 mph. Mind you, whether you are riding at 15 mph or 150 mph, it should not impact the speed at which your head falls to the ground. Now, if think you are buying a helmet to withstand a direct impact to a stationary object, say a wall or tree, good luck finding that helmet because no one builds a helmet for that impact. In fact, your neck would surely break before your brain compresses into your skull.

The purpose of the test is to simulate real world conditions for the 80th percentile event. What good would it be to design a test for a 60 mph impact? You would not survive anyway.

Regarding Mr. Hurt, he is the leading expert on motorcycle crashes and helmet safety. I surly value his opinion over your anecdotal story! Your story about throwing a helmet is hardly scientific. It isn’t even repeatable. Please, by all means, wear the helmet that you are most comfortable in. But do not recommend it based on your junk science.

tyesai

Nov 4, 2004
:aj: My 2 cents is that fit is the most important. Go to a bike shop and just try on helmets without looking at the price. When I did this I found a $350 Suomy helmet that felt like crap and I thought for sure it was a $100 lid until I looked at the price tag. It felt cheap and did not fid my noggin. Then I found a 150 dollar Thor helmet that fit like a champ. I think alot of it is personal preference. I know as far as street bike lids fit Shoei is the only way for me to go. As a matter of fact I wouldn't blink twice to pay 400 bucks or more for a street lid where as I have found that the cheaper Thor lids fit me good for the off road stuff. Get what fits your ugly face good, comfort is the key, you can't haul ass if all you are thinking about is how uncomfy your helmet is. :laugh: :ride:

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
I have an HJC CLX3, great helmet, vents well, protects well and looks great. I am really happy with HJC, though when I replace my helmet I'll go with HJC's higher end model.

slayer_21

May 29, 2005
Yeah, fit is the most important, I think. I tried on the high dollar helmets also, but they were very unconfortable, then tried the Fox Tracer $130, and it fit great, didn't move on my head and has a nice size eye space for goggles.

Proxy

N. Texas SP
Mar 14, 2005
HJC ACX2 here as well. Great helmet and I got it for about $160 from a local shop. I tried on a few more expensive ones, but this one fit me the best.

Top Bottom