Dirt Bike mounted Helmet Camera for motocross advice anyone?

muddboy

May 12, 2008
After a couple of weeks of testing The Adrenaline Systems Dirt Bike Cam Sport I and the Oregon Scientific ATC2K I have to conclude: (check out my original post below)
The adrenaline camera is by far the best choice as far as quality of footage and sturdiness. It was easy to set up and connect to my camcorder. The Li-Ion battery
gave me 8 hours of power. I took a couple of crashes with it and the camera took the beating with no problem. The resolution was excellent at 580 TVL since it is a SONY ccd which is really worth the money if you want decent video.
The mounts on the adrenaline systems can be used on your helmet and your handlebar, frame or fenders. I got some pretty wild video all over the place. Some was dizzy and some was
just sick.

The ATC2k from oregon scientific was easy to carry as it was modular but the video is low quality and does have a tendecy to freeze up with excessive jolting. It is cool that it all goes into the SD card and no need to strap my camcorder to my pack. This little cam i can use for some fun YouTube stuff.

My conclusion: spend the extra bucks to get the real deal. In the end is worth it and you will be able to save forever your coolest outings!

================================================

I would like to ask advice from any forum members on Helmet Cameras, specifically for Dirt bike / Motocross use.
I have bought two action camera kits. One from Adrenaline Systems and another an Oregon Scientific SD based system.
The model I purchased from adrenaline systems is the Dirt Bike Cam Sport which comes with microphone and dirt bike / MX specific mounts. They look very sturdy and are
easy to set up. It took me just a couple of minutes to set it up on my bike. What I like about it is that it comes with mounting for both helmet and the bike itself.

I have also set up the oregon scientific camera. I have not had time to take either out for testing on the field.

My questions are as follows: Is there anything I should keep in mind while using these systems? Are there any tips for good set up?
Any preferences?
Both look promising and will try them out over the next couple of weeks. Any feedback is appreciated.
I will post my impressions as soon as I can use both cameras on the track.
Thanks!

Last edited:

Platformone

Nov 6, 2008
VholdR Helmet Cam

I just bought the VholdR helmet cam a couple of weeks ago and just recently had the opportunity to try it out at Hurricane Hills in Manzeppa, MN. I got some great footage with little to no noise reduction. The camera is extremely light weight and was able to take a hit from just about everything without being bruised. The software that comes with the camera is also great and easy to use for editing. At about $330.00 this helmet cam is the way to go for anyone interested in capturing.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
Chili said:
This is quickly becoming the industry standard, producing amazing video for less than $200. http://www.goprocamera.com/index5.htm

I have one of these..

This video was shot with it.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/doBhqcLpK_M&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/doBhqcLpK_M&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

PowderJunkie9

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 10, 2008
VholdR Cam

At first I didn't think it was worth the price. However, I just tested out my buddies VholdR helmet cam while riding at Red Fox Track-N-Trail and it will definitely be my next purchase. It is probably the lightest and the most easy to use camera Ive ever used. The footage I got was a high quality birds eye view of everything going on.

Hope this helps!

Mar 18, 2006
Based on Chili's words and looking at Indy's video (long time to download on dial-up), I ordered the GoPro "wide" for my son for Christmas. I didn't do much research. I just bolted and ordered it. I liked the idea of "waterproof" (this probably also translates to dustproof, I think). It might look a little goofy, but I am hoping it is the best for the money. By the way, I loved the 2 stroke "squirt" of acceleration at about the 30sec mark of Indy's video (green bike I think). Too bad that rider didn't seem to gain any ground with his (her?) excellent clutch work. The new camera will probably be used for snowboarding first. I hope it makes it to bike season!

I may not have looked hard enough, but I couldn't find the GoPro in Canada? Gotta be somewhere? I'm getting one out of California.The exchange rate sucks now. Oh well.

regards, the man of too many words

Mar 18, 2006
Just got it yesterday. In the meantime, I figured out that Royal Distributing sells them also. They don't have the "wide" model listed, though.

It sure is a tiny camera! Should be like carrying a "1/4 pounder with cheese" on your head, I think. At least that is the way I imagined it. Can't open until Christmas.

PowderJunkie9

Mi. Trail Riders
Nov 10, 2008
Where does one purchase that GoPro? I haven't seen it anywhere, maybe I'm just not looking in the right spots.I did see on Amazon that they discounted the VholdR (my preference) down to $299. It lasts through the weekend, so anyone in the market for a camera should hop on this deal!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom