IamRyan

Aug 23, 2006
im pretty sure everyone has seen the video of the person flying across a lake on their dirtbike (however i cant seem to find it) i was wondering if anyone has done it or what the deal is to be able to do it? do you need shallow water or just go realy fast?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
With an XR200 I wouldn't count on doing any water-skipping. It takes a ton of speed on a motorcycle because the surface area of the tires is so small. I've water skipped quads a lot and ridden snowmobiles across water. Both have a lot of surface area to hydroplane on. I've never really gotten a bike to do it, and have nearly gone over the bars trying in just 12 inches or so of water. Speed (and lots of it) is key!

OldTimer

Feb 3, 2005
adam728 said:
... Speed (and lots of it) is key!
I think I'll go out tomorrow and run 100 mph straight into a huge mudhole! :yikes:
The key is to make sure you have someone video tape the event! :cool:
Oh, and before you start, you have to say "Hey, ya'll watchis". :rotfl:

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
At what speed do you think the guy was going? It certainly takes lots of guts to try this on a dirtbike.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Accoring to Jay (MX547) he usually goes damn near pinned in 5th on a 250 so my guess would be 60+ mph.

jayhydro.jpg

jayh2o.jpg

Moose

~SPONSOR~
Sep 16, 2006
Cool pictures Gomer, sweet bike too. I love the 1997 honda cr's.

Here's a picture of my step dad going through water. I doubt any of us stayed on top of the water. Well, for very long anyway.

resize-1.jpg

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
The closest I came was pinned in 4th on a KTM620 across water about a foot deep. The front seemed to stay up on top, but the rear was nowhere near it. I didn't have the guts to try 5th and I'm not even sure 90 mph would have kept the weight of me and the bike (almost 550lbs together) on top of the water.

cnielse5

~SPONSOR~
Feb 22, 2005
I have done it plenty of times.
Step one: Hold throttle open
Step two: make sure you transition from land to water is fairly smooth.
Step three: Hold throttle open.
Step four: lean back
Step five: try not to get blow off the pegs from the water spraying of the front tire.
Step six: hold throttle open until you hit land again.
Final step clean pants out when done. (Especially if it is you first time)

Things to keep in mind.
1. may not hurt to have a thumb over the kill switch just in case.
2. learn on shallow water first.
3. Dirt+water+dirtbike+high speeds=Hard on moving parts.

MikeT

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2001
I need to ask a question. Is just the front tire hydroplaning and the rear is running on the bottom helping drive the bike? I saw some guys do this on three wheelers back in the day but those things could float (just about).

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
It's both tires up on top of the water. The pictures of Jay were across water that is at least 4 feet deep, as I saw one of them with someone standing out in the middle after they didn't make it.

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
My buddy did it in water about 8" deep. Went for about 30 feet. He had it wide open 4th on a RM250. I didnt have enought balls to try it thought, lol. I didnt see my self making it across very well.

trial_07

Play with gravity
~SPONSOR~
Apr 26, 2004
During week-ends at the chalet I mess around with my grandfather's Honda TRX 200 (one of the first four-wheelers). There was a deep pool of water in a sand pit and after a mistake (too long to explain) the four wheeler and I jumped in that pool. Believe it or not, the thing was floating!!! I was swimming trying to push the four-wheeler on land. It fired right up, and the motor was submerged with water for quite a long time! Those things are so tough...

Not related to the topic, but just a funny story I wanted to share.

headshot347

Oct 14, 2006
ya i'd love to try to "skip" across the water. only problem is i doubt a 85 could do that and get far. and when your 135 pounds on an KX 250. things just don't seem to come real well when your leaning back to get traction. I.E. me on my a$$ and my bike 30 feet away

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
hey, this is jay (mx547) posting from tx246's house. i missed this thread and they just told me about it.

there are three key elements it takes to do this:

1. as someone said above, the transition has to be smooth. if there is any drop off at all, don't try it. it won't work.

2. you must be wide open, fifth gear pinned. do not chop the throttle, not even a little bit or you're going for a swim.

3. you have to commit. there is no half-way. if you're tentative, just stay away. there is no practice, either you do it or you don't.

this is one of the most fun things to do on a dirtbike. the rush is unbelievable. i highly recommend trying this.

Lukekelly

Apr 16, 2006
I can tell you thats a good way to drown your bike if you dont know how deep that puddle or what you thought to be a puddle and its really a hole in the ground 5 feet deep

Top Bottom