sixds

Mar 25, 2007
I saw a poster in my local shop the other day advertising snow conversion kits for dirt bikes. I can't put my finger on the name of the brand that makes them but its just a track that goes in place of the wheel and a ski that replaces the front wheel. has anyone had any experience with them?

I live up here in canada and snow is getting more scarce in winter. Its almost bad enough to sell the sleds. I think if i could sell one of our sleds and replace it with a track kit it would work out alright, as i only got to sled a handful of times last winter.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Pushing a track will rob whole lot of power, I wouldn't want to do it on a 125 even if they made one. There are 2 other companies that make sno kits, I just can't for the life of me think of them! Kimpex had a prototype going a few years back as well.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Yup they are pricey... but its a dirtbike ...way better then sleds IMHO and you don't have to buy store and maintain both a:nod:

I don't think that I'd run them in sand ( I assumed sand dunes) as the snow lubricates the sliding surfaces/bogie's ect... to some extent, but sand ?

THORmx_nucca

Apr 15, 2007
Actually, the Switch Traxx2x (shorter track, but wider) is advertised to run on snow, sand, and dirt. I don't know how effective it would be, but that's what it says.
I might have to move to Canada and get one of those.
Cool stuff.

olderndirtmom

Apr 28, 2007
Chili said:

It looks like a dirtbike with a metal prosthesis "leg". :laugh:

Funny.

(I think? Unless somebody is offended, in which case, I think it is absolutely wonderful that someone would dedicate their life to designing and making a snow prosthesis for a dirtbike, to enable it to live a full life year-round.) :nod:

For some reason this discussion reminds me of this game:

http://lineriderflash.com/index.html

Last edited:

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
Why not just get a good set of deep snow studded tires and go at it? We ride year round here and in february we were riding in 2 feet of powder on single track with our studded tires. Once the snow thaws and refreezes you can't go in the deep stuff any more but once that happens we hit the groomed snowmobile trails. I bought a second set of wheels and have my studded tires mounted on them so I can swap back and forth quickly.

Steve St.Laurent

Mi. Trail Riders
Feb 6, 2006
sixds said:
describe to me how having a studded tire helps in snow. last i checked, they were for ice.

They handle the slick stuff under the snow if it's powder (roots, limbs, ice puddles, etc). If it's hard packed snow (like groomed snowmobile trails) you get tons of traction with studs - none without. They make deep snow specific studs - http://www.kevinscycleracing.com/tires.htm (scroll down near the bottom).

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
THORmx_nucca said:
Actually, the Switch Traxx2x (shorter track, but wider) is advertised to run on snow, sand, and dirt. I don't know how effective it would be, but that's what it says.
I might have to move to Canada and get one of those.
Cool stuff.

Sorry clicked before I spoke (going from old DR mag review )

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom