DirtMac

Jun 18, 2001
My name is Jonathan and i am a 14 yr old kid who is wanting a dirt bike and needing some advice...for my size i think i can handle a 125 and im not able to decide what kind of one i want..it reallly doesnt have to deal wit speed just performance and so far i have been most impress with the honda xr125r because it performs good for a 4 stroke...but anyways i would love it if some one would give me some advice on what to buy...i also have set budget which is from 0 to bout 1700 so if any one is also sellin their 4 stokes tell me please..thank u all :cool:

DirtMac

Jun 18, 2001
Hey,
I didnt know that they didnt make a 125 but i juss knew that they did make a cr125 and i juss figured that they made a xr125..but ne ways i am about 5'9 and i only weigh bout 130 pds. and i have a few friends that have a rm 125 and kx 250 and a xr 80 and i have like 25 acres of wooded area so i do have a good place to ride so if u have any suggestions of what i should get tell me please..thanks for responding.

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
Ok. Thanks for anwsering my questions. A 125 two-stroke would be too big and powerful for a beginner's bike. You should most likely go with an xr200r. An xr100r would become too small for you quickly. You could live with an xr200r for a year or even two. I believe that an xr200r would not be a bad wood's bike. Hope that helps

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
At 5' 9" I would suggest an XR250 or a KDX. I think you'd grow out of an XR200 within a couple months of riding. Obviously I'm more biased towards the KDX. ;)

kush125rider

May 25, 2001
my buddy just got a kdx 200 and he says its an awesome beginners bike. He's about your height and probaly 10 pounds less then you. Ive rode it twice now and its super smooth and not as hard to handle in the trails as riding a 125 was for me. Also i heard the bike is easy to modify and bring along as your riding ability gets better.

Just my .02

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
I agree. In stock form the engine is very well mannered. It can be lugged down low without stalling. The suspension and seat is soft and forgiving and it can modified to totally rip. It's the bike I used to get back into riding and I'm around 5' 9" as well. Plus it's pretty light which is good cause you'll probably be dropping it a lot. ;)

I'd consider it a great bike for someone whoe's just getting started.

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
I say KDX But I am unsure of what KDX there is a 220 and a 200. They are close to the same but the 200 is faster but the 220 can be modified to be faster either way from what i've heard.
CRG

CRGuy

Posts Too Much
Nov 14, 2000
I thought there was a article on the kdx's in a Magizine awile ago. I am still looking for the issue.
CRG

2001KDX

Jun 27, 2000
Jonathan,

Go for a KDX. I just had a person about your age, height, and weight out to ride trails. (Southern Indiana) He was a just beginning to ride and had bought a RM125. He couldn't get around our 10 mile loop on it. He ended up going back to camp on a 4 wheeler while someone else rode his 125 back. A couple of hours later, I offered to let him try on my stock KDX 220. The difference was amazing. He was able to get around the loop without any problems. He said the KDX was MUCH easier for him to ride.

Michelle

Sponsoring Member
Oct 26, 1999
The earlier (pre 95) models KDX are lower, but at your height, it shouldn't be a problem. An XR200 is a great learner's bike, but I think more so for a woman, rather than a 14yo guy, as you'd outgrow the bike's capabilities too quickly as your ability grew, but the XR250 is another kettle of fish. See if your mate with the 125 will let you test ride his bike.

I'm also biased towards the KDX as I know how much it's helped my riding (plus I've had heaps of fun modifying it and getting my husband to take it for rides to convince him to get rid of his bike - it worked too well, we just can't afford to change his bike yet).

Top Bottom