RT100guy

Sep 10, 2003
Hi, I am new to dirtbiking and have always wanted a bike since I was an infant. Well now I am eleven and I busted my butt all summer mowing lawns and saved up about $500 on top of about $200. I recently found a '92 Yamaha RT-100 and I decided that I wanted to buy it so I did. It was sold to me for about $700. It is in great shape, paint worn off the right side bottom end cover plate, and is in need of new graphics. It shifts great and pops wheelies and pulls stoppies and is so awesome. I was just wondering what you think of this deal.

Another question is that since I hate that stock exhaust on it if there was another kind of exhaust I could put on it like from a ttr-125?

Thank you so much

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Any bike that runs well for $700 is a good deal!

But the RT100 probably doesn't have many aftermarket performance parts available. They aren't much of a 'performance' bike. TTR engine parts won't interchange at all. The RT is a 2 stroke, the TTR is a 4 stroke.

Graphics and paint? The bike won't run a lick better. Start saving your nickels and dimes for your next bike! You'll probably outgrow the RT faster than you think. :thumb:

RT100guy

Sep 10, 2003
Thanks a bunch, that makes me feel alot better than I have been. Although I dont really like how bouncy the front forks are, on just a little jump the tire hits the back of the fender, I am going to need front forks rebuilt stiffer. I love it though. All I want now is a small speedometer for giggles.

RT100guy

Sep 10, 2003
Sorry I forgot to add this but, what are you guys thoughts on a Yammy YZ-85? I have heard alot about it. Is it fast and more powerful bike than my rt-100? I have heard yes but I don't understand how a 2 stroke 85 is more powerful than a 2 stroke 100? Thanks again.

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
The YZ85 is a modern race bike that has a much more radical tune and advanced design compared to your RT100.  The little RT is very similar to the mid 1970's DT100, and bikes have changed alot since then.  The YZ will make much more power even though it has less displacement, and it's suspension and frame are also far more advanced. 

You have a fine beginner's bike - very similar to what many of us learned on.  Enjoy it, and learn the basics about riding, maintenance, and bike set up for the next few years.  

You can stiffen your forks with some minor changes (adding some fork oil will improve the bottoming resistance), but I would resist the urge to make costly modifications to the RT.  

RT100guy

Sep 10, 2003
Yes, I didnt plan to really do anything to it besides buying $20 in graphics and replacing tires. I think my next bike will be a YZ-85.

john_bilbrey

Mar 22, 2003
My son bought his first bike - a '93 RT100 for $600 out the door. Great beginner's bike. He'll be ready for an upgrade next summer to an 85 or some description. He (and you as well) can probably just about get your initial investment back out of the bike to go towards the purchase of a new one! Welcome to dirt bikes! Be safe and watch those stoppies/wheelies!

drk98

Mar 30, 2002
WAIT!

Used 1997 RM80 for sale!
never raced-trail riden(changed gasketts for low-end power)
will need new back tire soon-front like new
graphics are scrached(still the same bike)
$1300

pyrofreak

Apr 9, 2003
edited by mod...

Do not post the same info in the same forum in 3 seperate posts. It is annoying and redundant. Not to mention, you are just quoting a magazine... it makes you look more like a parrot than someone who has real world advice that can be helpful and backed up with more than advertising as the center of the judgement.

Thanks
Ivan

Top Bottom