Yogurt

~SPONSOR~
Dec 25, 1999
I know this subject has come up before, but I'd like to reevaluate it.

My mother (who I live at home with) and I were going through some new insurance policy adjustments, and we found out my dirt bike (04 CRF250R) was not covered under the home owners insurance. Even if it was stolen or burned up inside the garage, insurance wouldn't cover it. Supposedly if the vehicle can be licensed, only a separate insurance policy will cover the vehicle.

I made the argument that since it's off-road only and couldn't licensed for road if I wanted to, the insurance lady said it could be licensed for public trail use, so it counts.

So now I'm wondering how many of you all insure your dirt bikes? I've thought about it before, but never did it. The only thing I'm worried about is theft and fire protection. I got a quote from my insurance company who I insure my truck with.

$302/year for full coverage
$103/year for just liability (which is worthless, no theft or fire)
$204/year for Fire/ Theft/ and liability

I thought these figures we're a bit high. I think progressive would be cheaper, but my mother is getting an Umbrella policy, and it would be more expensive to have another insurance company under our umbrella.

So should I do it? Or just skip it? I've owned dirt bikes for a dozen years in my young life, and never had any issues. Thanks for any input.

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Those figures are high.

I pay $78 per year for $5000 comprehensive (fire/theft/vandalism) coverage on my CR250 with Nationwide.

You don't need collision or liability for a dirtbike. Skip fire/theft if you don't mind footing the bill if something happens to it.

NGE

Uhhh...
Sep 6, 2003
wow... that is some price difference, even if there are other mitigating circumstances (discounts for age, location, etc...)

This got me thinking... I just assumed my homeowners policy would cover my bike.... :yikes: I better check into that

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
I am pretty sure I get some discounts because they have my cars and house also. Looks like his comp only is $101 (204 liab & comp -103 liab only) so it doesn't look as high as I originally thought....but higher.

The thing I learned recently is that although I am paying for $5000 in "replacement value" coverage, they will only pay me retail BOOK value at best +accessories if I have receipts. So while I would have to get a new bike to replace my barely ridden 02 CR250, they will only give me about 3800. Needless to say, I will be reducing my coverage very soon and I guess that will save me $15 or so a year.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
NGE said:
This got me thinking... I just assumed my homeowners policy would cover my bike.... :yikes: I better check into that

Most homeowners policy will not cover your dirtbike. It will cover your lawnmower but not the bike. Crazy.

Also, there are a lot of differences per state. In SC insurance is really high. I have a recreational policy on both my bikes that covers theft/collision/etc. However, if I am caught racing then my coverage is cancelled.

My insurance agent knows that racing is a possibility but told me upfront not to talk to her about whether I would consider it. She covers me for recreation only and realizes I will only file a claim if it is stolen or broke b/c a tree fell on the garage.

Make sure you do your research. The loopholes could leave you with paid premiums and no recovery of any kind.

Ivan

James

Lifetime Sponsor
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 2001
Mine doesn't have a racing stipulation but I would guess that is because there isn't collision coverage. Collissions are inevitable with me and they'd probably cancel my policy if I tried to claim all of them....even if only the non-racing ones.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Get theft and fire for sure. I read two many post on this sight about bikes being stole, not to have it. For less than $20 a month I don't worry about it. Actually I have full coverage just in case it falls out of my truck when it is being hauled.

Top Bottom