jnesbitt

Feb 16, 2005
I had found a pretty good deal on a 03 ktm 200 exc and agreed to buy it. However, my credit union wouldn't give me a loan on the bike because it was still titled to the dealer that the current owner bought it from. We tried using the MSO that was signed over from the dealer to the owner but after the loan officer looked into it, she said that those only work for manufactorer to dealer, dealer to dealer, or dealer to original buyer UNLESS the MSO specifically says that the bike does not have to be titled. It's kinda silly knowing that the bike will never have a tag. Unfortunatly the owner didn't want to be bothered with getting a title so I had to pass on the bike. I could get an unsecured loan from my credit union but the rate wouldn't be anywhere near as good.
Is my bank being picky or is this standard? The state is Georgia by the way. If I bought the bike anyway I might run into trouble when the person I sell the bike too wants a title. Would it even be possible for me to get a title at that point? How much work and how long does it usually take to get a titile from a MSO?

Thanks

Rooster

Today's Tom Sawyer
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 24, 2000
I don't really know why the dealer would still have the title, unless they financed the bike for this guy. If he owes money on the bike, he won't be able to get the title until that amount is payed off. Too bad you had to pass on a deal.

Your bank is not being picky, most all of them are like that.

If the bike is titled in someone elses name, it will show up in the system as such. Getting a new title from a MSO won't likely work. The bike will show up in his name and that pops up a red flag.

Your best bet is to find a bike with an owner that has title in hand.

Good luck!

Dave.Smith

Dec 15, 2002
In Missouri sales tax for a motor vehicle is paid at the license office when you apply for the title. Many folks avoid the sales tax on dirt bikes by not bothering with a title.

usgpru27

Jan 15, 2005
This site is great.. I had this same issue last week.. I was off Friday and figured I would get a new Certificate of Ownership in NJ for my 01 CR125. I also have the original paperwork from the selling dealer in Cal. Went to the DMV and was finally told that they cannot do it for me. It was all filled out correctly and the Cal dealer had signed it. Who knows how many have owned it.. they told me to sign it and just hold it as prof that it is mine. Guess you don't steal a bike and its title. Bottom line is I was trying to do the right thing. I have many many vehicles and just like having all the paperwork in order. My garage was robbed about 10 years ago and I was cleaned out.

I was able to get the needed Liability insurance to ride in parks in PA.

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
What parks in PA? If you mean the state-owned riding areas, I don't know how you did it as you cannot legally ride a dirt bike in these ATV areas. The folks at the state confirmed that for me. ATVs are required to be registered and because of this BS $20 every-other-year fee, they get to use these riding areas. Since dirt bikes cannot be registered in this manner, we get boned. Yeah, I was pretty pissed off that all my tax money doesn't get me the same consideration as ATV riders.

Or is this a private riding area? I've never heard of one requiring liability insurance before, but then again I haven't exactly researched it either.

usgpru27

Jan 15, 2005
I was certain that they had both ATV and Dirtbike areas.. If your right and I am sure you are.. That really sucks.. The liability is still good. it is only $61 per year.. just in case I end up on someones property.. Looks like its paragon.. .

mtk

Jun 9, 2004
Yeah, I'm sure and yeah, it sucks.

What really, really chapped my behind is that I cannot even pay the biannual $20 registration if I want to so I can use these areas. Without four wheels, tough cookies. Best of all, the reason given was that "dirt bikes don't have a place for the license plate" which you get with ATV registration. Funny, but I've never seen an ATV with a spot for a license plate either, but let's not let reality get in the way of things. It's also a law in PA that ATVs have to be registered, and have the liability insurance you mentioned, unless they are ridden 100% on private land (and it might require it to be your own land at that, but I'm not positive on that one). I've never, EVER seen one of these plates on the back of an ATV.

My tax dollars pay for riding areas I'm not allowed to use. Just thinking about it makes my blood pressure go up.

usgpru27

Jan 15, 2005
Well, that does suck.. :fft: But what can we do.. Just seems that dirtbikes built these areas as 4 wheelers are a relatively new addition to off roading.

jmurray289

Feb 8, 2005
Very interested in this post for sure... I have always titled my bikes and now I have learned that buying out of PA eliminates the tax, and without a need for registration, there is no need to title... but I am suspicious about what happens when I go to sell the bike... will it bite me in the butt then? At this point with the title in my name on my KX, I would require a buyer to sign it away, for fear of liablity... but if it were never titled... I don't know. THis is interesting though! I'd be somewhat afraid to buy an untitled bike. I also have heard of people having the VIN checked by the local authorites.

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
You need probably to have a Notary done upon the sale, that seems it would help only a little. Maybe the DMV needs to title things like they do here in Michigan, even though they suck. Maybe get a legal form from the office supply or ask the insurance folks who insure off road vehicles in your state.

usgpru27

Jan 15, 2005
jmurray, I agree with you.. Here in NJ you dont get a title for a dirtbike but a certificate of ownership. Kind of the same thing. I just want all the correct paperwork for all my stuff. You just never know. When I bought my CR it said clean title. Didnt see the problem till I picked it up. I have also been robbed and when I lost all my bikes a few years ago you see how important these documents are.

kdx200chick

Mar 27, 2004
jnesbitt said:
I had found a pretty good deal on a 03 ktm 200 exc and agreed to buy it. However, my credit union wouldn't give me a loan on the bike because it was still titled to the dealer that the current owner bought it from. We tried using the MSO that was signed over from the dealer to the owner but after the loan officer looked into it, she said that those only work for manufactorer to dealer, dealer to dealer, or dealer to original buyer UNLESS the MSO specifically says that the bike does not have to be titled. It's kinda silly knowing that the bike will never have a tag. Unfortunatly the owner didn't want to be bothered with getting a title so I had to pass on the bike. I could get an unsecured loan from my credit union but the rate wouldn't be anywhere near as good.
Is my bank being picky or is this standard? The state is Georgia by the way. If I bought the bike anyway I might run into trouble when the person I sell the bike too wants a title. Would it even be possible for me to get a title at that point? How much work and how long does it usually take to get a titile from a MSO?

Thanks
It's my understanding that an affidavit from the dealer should suffice with the MSO stating that the owner should read you, and not john doe. there are 2 ways of doing it
1.The dealer could state that the sale did not take place with that individual (one way of doing it ha ha) This affidavit stating you are the purchaser (notorized) do the trick.

or
2. The dealer can provide you with an affidavit for the faulty lien *notorized) and the MSO.

An MSO will NEVER say whether or not it needs to be titled and that goes nation wide (some states require titling their dirtbikes and some states require that you sign over the title or mso over and over untill there is no more room on the back and then it's affidavit time). Sometimes dealers sign over mso's to customers and the deal falls through. It is next to impossible to get a new mso from the manufacteror so, affidavits correcting "errors" are the next step. I used to work in the DMV office and took these all of the time w/ no questions asked. Tell your Loan officer to call the DMV or title office and get her facts straight. There is absolutely no reason for them not to accept the MSO from the dealer with or without former purchasers.

Top Bottom