ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
Really wasn't sure where to post this, maybe I should have went to the flame forum, in any case here goes. The January issue of Dirt Rider has their version of the 2004 125 cc Class MX Shoot out. The article features nine bikes, they even included the Gas Gas MC 125 which was nice. All bikes were evaluated in seven categories including; Fork, Shock, Handling, Ergonomics, Engine, Braking and Standard Equipment. Each category was set up with a 10 point maximum. Okay, so that means seven categories 10 points maximum, the best you could do is 70 points right? I went through and added the points up and this is how the bikes finished:

1 CRF 250 (64.8 pts)

2. YZF 250 (62.6 pts)

3. KTM 125 (62.3 pts)

4. RM 125 (61.9 pts)

5. (tie) RMZ/KX 250 F (61.4 pts)

7. YZ 125 (61.15 pts)

8. KX 125 (60.6 pts)

9. Gas Gas (51.7 pts)

Great, scientific, makes sense okay. Yet at the end of the article just to show everyone who is paying the bills at Dirt Rider the magazine throws all of the analysis out the window and ranks the bikes as follows:

1. CRF

2. YZF

3. RM

4. RMZ/KXF

6. YZ

7. KX

8. KTM

9. Gas Gas

Seems to me that our friends at Dirt Rider declared the KTM the best two stroke 125 and third best in the test and at the end threw out the analysis to keep Japan Inc. happy and simply pulled the 125 SX to #7 and bumped the other rice bikes up. Very, very interesting. In last years analysis the magazine said that in the 125 class, power is king, period, well the KTM has it even over the four strokes, see the dyno analysis in the article, and the handling complaints are gone. Hmmmmmm, who is stuffing the pockets of the Dirt Rider staff? Not me, I cancelled my subscription effective 1 December.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
This one is not just not objective but appears to be grossly misleading. Wouldn't be so bad if the whole article was labeled "ADVERTISEMENT" or something.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by ktm033
This one is not just not objective but appears to be grossly misleading.

Something GROSSLY MISLEADING in a dirt bike magazine?????? Someone call the New York Times, this is BIG NEWS. :confused:

Lou, I you need to check if hell has frozen over STAT. :scream:

MrMoto_3

Oct 24, 2003
If I am not mistaken, the YZF250 won a shootout between the 4 strokes a few months back? I could be mistaken but I remember reading it somewhere and I am sure it was Dirt Rider.

Also in the same mag they rated the MC125 motor poorly but then in another article in the same issue they rave about its power. Compaired it to the 200.

I am up for renewal soon and I too will not renew my subscription.

Erick82

~SPONSOR~
Aug 30, 2002
Overall the difference between 1st and 8th is very small, meaning all these bikes are very competative, based on the your info. I would agree KTM got screwed in the final picking a winner ratings, but this is not something new for KTM and these mag shoot outs. I think they went on and on about how improved there bikes where and that they are the HP kings, so overall I think they painted them with a positive light.

BEEF706

Sponsoring Member
Jan 24, 2002
All of the shootouts are subjective, and should be taken with a shaker of salt! I think Dirt rider does as good a job as any (better than MXA) of trying to keep them mostly honest, bottom line, if you're looking for a new scoot try to ride one beforehand, even if they are very honest and straightforward, how many 215 lb vet novice racers ya think work at the magazine? So how is a skinny pro gonna know how the bike suits me? PS I do think trying to rank the new MX bikes must be pretty tough as ALL of them are better than a few years ago. And you are doing the right thing, if they tick you off don't read em anymore, stick to DRN. :)

tm-enduro

Mar 7, 2001
I beleive it was last month when one of the rags did a 250/450 shootout. In that the KTM 450sx had the most power and the smoothest powerband, yet the Japanese bikes got a better engine rating, go figure on that one!!

sweetjeep

Sep 16, 2003
I think what we truly need is to convince RacerX to start doing bike tests. I dare say they are the only place we'd get a GENUINE review.

MXA is reknowned for offering the most advertisement based reviews.
Generally Dirt Rider seems OK. But yes, they make no sense.

In the 250 articles they have nothing of value negative to say about the KTM 250, yet they rated it 3rd or 4th. I don't recall at the moment.

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
there really isn't anything to seperate the bikes all the testers are just looking for the most miniscual problem (that is prolly not even noticeable) to point out so they can sound like they are doing some actual testing. basically there test riders just say "well i felt faster on that one, i guess" and then they say that that bike is the best when in truth there may be a a few 1/10's of a second difference if any in lap times.

Last edited:

380EXCman

Sponsoring Member
Sep 15, 1999
Well MX Racer just did their tests 250 and 125 in one issue and this is by far the best test I have seen so far. They gave real weights, dyno comparisons, rider impressions and LAP TIMES......

cujet

Aug 13, 2000
I had to wonder about the KTM placing so low also. I have seen the KTM 125's run at the local track and they are fast. In fact, if we put the 250's into the class they belong in, the KTM would be on top, period.

Chris

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
I like good fiction stories and the magazines are always a good source of disposable creative writing.

Dyno's are nice. Real would weights are good to see too. But the real test of any racing machine is lap times. The bike that can consistently turn in the lowest lap times, with the widest variety of riders, is the fastest bike. Though it isn’t necessarily the best bike for you.

Personally, I buy a bike based on its color.

kx200

Feb 1, 2001
So why doesn’t a manufacture just hire the dozen or so test riders? That way the test riders can design the bike for them. It would have to win then, or at least come in 2nd behind Honda. I find it funny that a few guys will make or break a bike if it doesn’t fit their style?

mxer842

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2003
thats what their race teams are for, but then again who wants their bike set up like RC's?

Casper250

Motosapien
Dec 12, 2000
As far as i'm concerned, it's all a preference. The bikes today are so close that at the level I ride, it doesn't matter what bike i have cause it comes down to MY skill to make it fast, not the bike. The only difference i see between them is the KTM because it does have obvious differences that make it stand out like the hydrolic clutch, chrome pipe, wave rotor etc.

lawman

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 20, 1999
here's another thing--i have been reading these magazines for a long time, & i have seen the fads come & go. right now they are leaving the bikes stone stock exc. for tires. any bike that needs springs fro the testers' weights or abilities or a revalve, which costs what, $300 or so, will suffer. i remember when they used to give the mfrs. a budget to make whatever mods they chose to make. made the tests a lot more realistic, imo.

ktm033

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 19, 2001
I just got done reading the Dirt Bike 250/450 shoot out, much better test! They talked about how subjective their opinions were, who liked what, did an MX test and an off road test, very nicely done in comparison. Perhaps I will get a 2nd DB subscription to off set the DR subscrition I cancelled!

Top Bottom