Dirt Rider mag - Ryan Hughes vs. writer

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
Have you guys seen the article in the recent issue of Dirt Rider mag where the writer (who's probably 40 and I'm guessing a "C" rider) decides to race Ryan Hughes to see how low Ryno has to go before the writer can beat him?

The races are each 2 laps on an outdoor style track (I can't recall the name offhand - but it would be to the advantage of a bigger bike, rather than a smaller one) and they start with both riders on RMZ450s. Of course, Ryno smokes the writer and so they make Ryno switch to an RM125.

(NOTE: Through this whole "test" the writer stays on the modded RMZ450.)

Anyway, back to the test with Ryno on the stock RM125. Ryno pulls the holeshot on the 125 and smokes the writer again - so bad that the writer is cutting across the track to catch up.

Then Ryno switches to a stock RM85. The writer finally gets the holeshot, but barely. Ryno passes him and beats him again.

Ryno switches to a stock DRZ125 trail bike. The writer gets the holeshot, Ryno crashes, Ryno gets up, comes back and beats the writer. Oh yea - the writer said that Ryno jumped every jump and blitzed the whoop section(s) on the DRZ.

Finally, Ryno gets on a 20" BMX bike (they do give Ryno a big headstart here). The writer cacthes Ryno and beats him at the finish line.

Unbelievable. I knew the pros were fast, but that's amazing. Maybe speed is actually 99.9% rider - not the 95% we'd all been thinking . . . ;)

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
I got that issue about a week and a half ago, I think I have read that article 4 times now. It's just so damn hilarious! Great writing too.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
What's even more amazing? RC would be Ryno in just about all those scenarios :p

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
robwbright said:
Maybe speed is actually 99.9% rider - not the 95% we'd all been thinking . . . ;)

Those of us who have watched helplessly as AJ railed under us on a stock 9hp TTR125 can attest to the 99% rule. :yikes:

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Okiewan said:
What's even more amazing? RC would be Ryno in just about all those scenarios :p

A couple of "no name" riders were giving riders on big bikes headaches on slightly modded XR100's at the SRA GP's in SoCal. They were simply a lot faster in the corners (they may have had as much as 10 or 12 hp :eek: .)

And these guys were not pros (but obviously good riders) and there were quite a few fast straights. People think it's an exaggeration - until they get smoked by one (and then they'll never admit it happened).

Maybe an aftermarket pipe for your 450 will help... :nod:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
That was a great write up! Gave me something to do while I was sitting in the allergy docs office...When I went in to get my shots, someone tried to snatch my mag!! I got it back though...thieves!!

wanaride

~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2003
And to think that Ryno can get beaten by the current SX elite (in SX that is), it's just amazing how much better those people are than the average rider.

That reminds me of a time when I went to a local SX practice track just to play around. A former national rider who owned the track was out practicing. I had to stop and just watch; his speed and control were absolutely unbelievable. There were some good riders out there (not me) and he made them look like they were standing still. Orders of magnitude out of my league!

YamaB

Apr 2, 2004
That was an interesting article...

The bike only enters into the equation when you have riders of near equal ability... I was honestly surprised that Ryno still won on the drz though... I can't imagine that any actual mx racer of at least Novice class quality on a modded 450 mx bike would lose to a mini trail bike, even if it was piloted by a pro....

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
The fast guy around here is Doug Flinner - he finished 8th overall in 25+ at Loretta Lynn's 2005. The year he had a support ride he went to Indy and Detroit SX. He tried one (yes 1) triple, cased it and never tried another.

He said even being up close in the stands doesn't give you a real feeling for how gnarly the jumps and whoops are. . .

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
wanaride said:
And to think that Ryno can get beaten by the current SX elite (in SX that is), it's just amazing how much better those people are than the average rider.

That reminds me of a time when I went to a local SX practice track just to play around. A former national rider who owned the track was out practicing. I had to stop and just watch; his speed and control were absolutely unbelievable. There were some good riders out there (not me) and he made them look like they were standing still. Orders of magnitude out of my league!

I know what you mean. About 6-7 years ago I got to see Brian Swink and Josh Woods battle it out at Baja MX in Michigan. If I remember right they were running in the 125A class. I thought A class riders were good, but they all looked like back-of-the-pack C class guys when those 2 were out there. It was amazing how much faster they went through every corner and through every rough section!

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Those of us who have watched helplessly as AJ railed under us on a stock 9hp TTR125 can attest to the 99% rule.
lol Rich, i thought only Gomer knew that feeling ? ;)

Seriuosly the lil bikes turn better, and a premier world class rider like ryno can carry momentum better than just about anyone..its more amazing he dint lap the guy while he was DRZ125 mounted, but then again he did crash? and still got up and caught him.
My guess is in two laps he woulda lapped the "writer" if not for the *spill* LOL
hence them going to a BMX bike , instead of a 70 or fiddy...? :)

Last edited:

MXGirl230

Stupid tires and trees
~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Dec 19, 2002
AJ Waggoner said:
hence them going to a BMX bike , instead of a 70 or fiddy...? :)

The mag said something about not being able to get a fiddy...

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
AJ...next time I'm bringing the XR70 for you to ride. You will be strip searched prior to getting near the bike, though, as I don't put it past you to try to sneak some high-speed valve stem caps on it!

FWIW, I was on an *almost stock* CR250.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
ahh Gomer ,
i know you let me win because you really longed to model that pink tutu..
you knew it would be far more flattering on your figure ;)

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
AJ:

What's your story? I see from these posts you must be very fast, but I don't know anything about you. . .

How bout a brief riding bio? Thanks

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
that article confirms my belief that money on my bike should not be spent in motor upgrades because it is plenty fast the way it is. i just dont have the talent. i prefer to spend money on suspension, durability, and crash protection items.

robwbright

Apr 8, 2005
tx246 said:
that article confirms my belief that money on my bike should not be spent in motor upgrades because it is plenty fast the way it is. i just dont have the talent. i prefer to spend money on suspension, durability, and crash protection items.

In my Greg Albertyn Bike Setup vid, he says if he had $1000.00 to spend on a bike . . .

If he had a 250, he'd spend all $1000 on the suspension because the motors are plenty strong enough stock and the suspension can't keep up.

If he had a 125, he'd spend all $1000 on the motor because the suspension is usually pretty good on 125s given their lighter weight, etc and because the motor makes all the difference in the 125 class. . .

That's his take, anyway. . . but you may well be right.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
robwbright said:
AJ:

What's your story? I see from these posts you must be very fast, but I don't know anything about you. . .

How bout a brief riding bio? Thanks
AJ raced quads before starting the Lego division of Service Honda.

He's not fast...just scared of me (and fear will make people do some wierd things!)

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
He's not fast, just lucky <-- I have proof. On video

LMAO!
now i'll never live those crashes down,,okie and his dang everready cam :P
500's arnt too bad as a chain saw though?

You have to admit okie , the later in the day? helmet cam footage ,done to mess with Thump and Twinspode, was one of the better DRN practical jokes.. :)

rob - as embarrassing as it is to admit, High Lard Gomers right, i was an ATV pilot for a few years getting in enough *training wheel training*, to move up a class in 2 wheel MX so that DRN's wardy could then whip up on me.. LOL

Top Bottom