Dirt Rider Mag Test Status

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
MACE said:
Is there a DR ride status thread?

Hi, y'all.

At this point and until we get more from AJ directly we'll hold off posting anything. It's all 2nd hand (over the phone). We'd hate to miss something or misquote.

We aren't going to talk about the other bikes or how they did, it's not our place and frankly, none of us are on the testing crew, so how could we possibly know?... that's what the article is about. Although, we'll know BS if we see it posted some where :p , but again, won't comment. We'll let the various bikes and their forums stand on their own merits.

I will clear up one tidbit that relates to our bike... NOTHING broke or wore prematurely, at last update (after the desert ride on day two) the bike was 100%. Based on the torture tests these things went thru it's amazing there weren't more problems. I was certain they would have broken something on the AFX by now. Again, we don't have all the details yet. If something breaks, we'll tell ya what it was.

As it stands now, each bike was assigned to a tester/writer for a two week impression.

I'd like to add that while this bike represents our forum well and of course we're proud of it, the best news to come out of this all so far is the job our moderator and builder AJ did representing us. When one of the bikes needed a clutch, he gave them our spare; just one thing we've heard about, you can bet theres more. That's what it's all about. Different forums, different bikes... but we all ride.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Okiewan said:
I'd like to add that while this bike represents our forum well and of course we are proud of it, the best news to come out of this all so far is the job AJ did representing us. When one of the bikes needed a clutch, he gave them our spare. That's what it's all about. Different forums, different bikes... but we all ride.

Nice work AJ :aj: I'd hope for the same from any of the DRN brethern.

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
Good to Hear.Maybe they can pick up a McDonalds Sponsor while out there.. :moon:

Crazy

Thump

Jr Admin Type
Jan 17, 2000
Sounds like the article will be good for all of the sites that participated and DirtRider Mag. I think that if it were made into a competition it would alienate one or more of the boards and that would be a shame. This is the first time any magazine has actually given any credibility to the online communities. I hope it does not get too overshadowed by people saying "ours is better than theirs" making it the last time we are asked for participation. Seriously, congrats to all of the boards that delivered bikes and congrats to DR Mag for recognizing the online communities. They all look cool and I for one would like to ride every single one of them.

Aj is definately the man and Service Honda is right there too. No matter what we have needed Service and AJ have been not just willing but excited to help out DRN. Giving our spare clutch away to a bike in need is typical Aj. IMO he represents DRN better than anyone. He is a walking tribute to what DRN and DirtWeek are all about. Always ready to help anyone. So far the reports have been that he is having a blast and the AFX is running great.

I hope that all of the participating boards are as proud of their machines as we are of ours.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
I can't wait to hear it from the mouth (keyboard?) of AJ. As he was there and doesn't have any ax to grind, it will be interesting to hear his observations about all the bikes. As they all stand on two wheels, I'm betting each and every one is interesting.

If this isn't the largest selling issue of Dirt Rider ever produced, it will not be because Jimmy did not come up with good subject matter.

Based upon what little I know about the bikes from the other forums I am interested in the product and the impressions.

Regarding the clutch plate issue, I'm with Chili, I would not expect anything less out of any member of DRN. I am continuely amazed at how giving DRN members are.

MACE

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 13, 1999
Y'all ever hear of Grassroots Motorsports magazine? It's a "low" bucks car racing magazine. Each year they have a reader competition where they build a car for a set amount of money. This year the budget is $2006. Next year it's $2007 and so on.

Wouldn't it be fun if next year the Cyber bikes were limited to some nominal expenditure like $3000 total lock stock and barrel? The bikes in this year's competition are awe inspiring, but I think the true spirit of the net is more DIY oriented.

XRpredator

AssClown SuperPowers
Damn Yankees
Aug 2, 2000
pretty dang cool.

Like other people, I was a little chagrined at the short notice. I think we came up with the best thing we could have in the time allowed. Hopefully this will become an annual thing with a bit more notice, allowing more time to go through the options.

I also like how AJ has stepped up and thrown parts to the other guys in order to keep 'em all hooked up and running. That's above and beyond in my book.

Have there been any pics from the test yet? I'm sure all of us would like to get a sneak peek at what everyone brought to the table.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I know even IF this had been a competition that AJ would no doubt be there helping anybody that needed it out with parts or technical/labor assistance. It's not about some inter-forum thing, it's about building and riding cool dirt bikes and having fun.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Okiewan said:
I'd like to add that while this bike represents our forum well and of course we're proud of it, the best news to come out of this all so far is the job our moderator and builder AJ did representing us. When one of the bikes needed a clutch, he offered them our spare; just one thing we've heard about, you can bet theres more.

Way to go AJ :aj:

bsmith

Wise master of the mistic
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Thread on KTMtalk has pics of all the bikes.

http://ktmtalk.com/index.php?showtopic=162565&st=0

I think our Bike looks pretty damn good :cool: and thanks AJ for representing us!

I think they all look great and can't wait for the Magazine!
This will be the first one I've purchased since I signed up for DRN!!

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
bsmith said:
I think they all look great and can't wait for the Magazine!
This will be the first one I've purchased since I signed up for DRN!!

I'm not trying to suck up to Jimmy, but I think you will be surprised at the quality of Dirt Rider. I got a subscription last year after watching the quality rise dramatically.

Dirt Rider and Trail Rider are the only two rags worth a darn in my opinion.

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Kudo's to AJ and TT Steve from the CRF website!

After lunch they went out again on a longer ride. They were gone for hours and hours. Finally, Ty Davis came back with bad news. The ran into snow. They continued on until the snow as over two feet deep. The initial word was several bikes had run out of fuel and one had smoked the clutch. You guessed it...the CRF450X.

Obviously, not good news. However, I had to remind myself of the extreme conditions they were riding in and then find out exactly what happened before I became too concerned.

I didn't have a spare clutch pack but A.J. with Service Honda had a spare for a 500AF. None of us were sure if they were compatible so we ended up pulling the cover of Thumpertalk's personal CRF450R to check. They were very willing to help which was great. Confirming they were the same...we loaded up Ty with tools, the clutch pack, and fuel and he headed back to the stranded group.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
I think something to consider with all the noise about the bikes running out of fuel is that this was a pretty long ride (maybe not in miles but time and effort), it was at elevation, and was very technical riding. Then you top that off with having to break trail in 2' of snow which means lots of throttle and a spinning rear tire trying to push through like a plow (especially on the lead bike!). I can also imagine it would also be difficult for some riders that might not have the same skill and fitness level as Jimmy, Ty and the like. Heck lots effort expended keeping the bike up not just going forward, cold, wet, could cause most anyone to start to show signs of hypothermia like disorientation, poor judgment, etc... which is basically the rider himself running out of gas and burning his mental clutch up. It would be enough to make a fella want to kiss the ground in camp when he got back. :)

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Okay I havnt had much time to read the forums,,but was asked for an update ..

The bikes all looked good and were interesting to say the least.
very VERY cool.
I'm glad DR is going to test them thouroghly over a couple of weeks, instead of a one day impression.It will make for a great article!

On the DRN bike,
nothing broke, its running great, and working very well !
and they are still testing!!
I rode it about 15 miles in keyesville trials on saturday (before the test) and it worked perfectly.
i also rode it up keyesvilles snakepit trail, directly AFTER the somewhat infamous test loop/ride.

on the one ride mentioed, the CRFonly bike did lose a clutch,,but it could be a million factors not reflective of the rekluse or the bike in anyway-it ran fine, looks great, and is one cool bike. A guy from TT (already starting on his way home) generously offered parts from his own CRF to help out,
and i had some spare clutch parts as well, butthey did not end up needing eiother to get the bike down..
the DRZ wasnt on that ride,(it was off somewhere being ridden on a trail when the group left)
but basically all the other test bikes ran out of gas,
a long ride in deep snow ,tech trails,
hey stuff happens.Thats part of the fun of riding right? ;)
no big deal.They all got back in one piece-

testing continued the next day at another location,
and i'm sure it is still being carried on..

as far as the overall deal,
its a very cool idea from Jimmy,
and hopefully it becomes an annual thing?
i'm sure each year the forums would come up with something interesting..

read Thumps post, he nailed what this article..is all about.

I liked all the entrees ,
and think they are all well done units.
I did not get a chance to ride them,
but certainly would have liked to test the KTM /YZ/CRF and DRZ .All very cool bikes. :aj:

Last edited:

GETMETOCA

Can't Wait For Tuesdays
Mar 17, 2002
XRpredator said:
I also like how AJ has stepped up and thrown parts to the other guys in order to keep 'em all hooked up and running. That's above and beyond in my book.

Yeah :cool:

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
Very, very, VERY cool. :nod:

:cool:

drool.gif

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
:nod: :cool:

Apr 11, 2006
Hey all,
I'm a new subscriber. I spend a bit of time on TT, but consider CRFsOnly my home dirt bike forum. I have to say that this thread and the attitude of the members of this forum is very refreshing. Unfortunately, this is in stark contrast to some of the sniping going on between some of the other sites. Kudos to you guys for staying above the frey on all the "he-said, she-said" that came back from the first testing/photo shoot day with the various forum bikes.

The offer of your clutch pack to fix our bike is a testimony to the dirt bike community. You guys set an example for all of us to follow. We are all dirt bikers, regardless of the color of the plastic. Great job on your bike. It looks awesome.

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Okiewan said:
Hey, thanks for the kind words :cool: and welcome to the site.

Major ditto! :cool:

Crank up a new thread in the New Member? Welcome! Go here first forum and tell us a bit about yourself.

Where do you live?
What brand do you ride?
What kinds of terrain do you ride?

We will try and hook you up with some folks from your area.

Again, welcome to the site and shout if you have any questions!

bsmith

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 28, 2001
Thanks Fat Boy! Welcome to DRN!

Top Bottom