evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
Anybody try these out???

Click here

I've got a hard time thinking they would be as strong as the traditional into the end of the handlebar style but what do I know. I'm curious if anyone uses them or has seen them firsthand. I've read good things about the quality of their products but wanted to ask before I spring for 'em.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
I guess it depends on the type of riding you do. If you are looking for basic brush/mud/roost deflectors, they'd probably be fine (although very expensive for that product category).

If you are a woods rider, I see a couple of disadvantages:

1) The ends are open, allowing trees to get in to smash your fingers and hang up the bars. Wrap around BBs allow you to glance/bounce off trees and keep going. Likewise, the levers are more susceptible to getting bent.

2) Adjusting the angle of your levers is limited to the angle of the Dirt Tricks guard. I run my levers pretty far down, as I am standing most of the time.

3) Seems like they'd be more likely to spin, as there's only 1 clamping/mounting point.

I do like seeing new ideas for BBs though. I use the standard BBs from Enduro Engineering, but wish the inner mounts were somewhere other than on the handlebar, i.e. handlebar top clamp or triple clamp.

Last edited:

Wraith

Do the impossible its fun
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 16, 2000
For that price, I will pass.
But it looks like a good idea for moto.

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I guess that's the rub Smit-dog. Lately its been about 75% track and 25% trail. I've got Acerbis Rally Pro's that were on my KTM but I'm down to one bike for time being. Taking those suckers off and putting them back on is a pain. Dirttricks seems to claim that these things are pretty strong and they wouldn't have to come off to hit the track.

You're right about the levers though. I was just wondering if anybody had actually seen them in person and could comment on their stoutness.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
With your breakdown of riding terrain, what disadvantage would there be in running traditional BBs like those from Enduro Engineering?

evenslower

~SPONSOR~
N. Texas SP
Nov 7, 2001
I'm just not comfortable with them on the track. Not sure why but never have been even though I 've run them on a few different bikes. I know its probably backwards but I'm more comfy not running them in the woods than I am running them on the track.

FlyinRyan

~SPONSOR~
Mar 19, 2001
I have a friend that is running these guards. They are very nicely made and very strong. He said he has had no problems with them, but his buddy broke one of them at a local enduro. The aluminum piece close to the plastic broke. The rider said his throttle stuck and he hit a large tree, he said he wasn't suprised it broke. It didn't break the lever though, just the guard.

I think they look cool, but it limits how far you can cut your bars down, as they take up alot of room between the grip and your levers. Tim had to run his thumb switch for his ICO on the curve of the bar, not a concern if you don't run a computer or do enduros though. And I am with Smit-dog, I still wouldn't want the end open when I'm blazing through the trees.

Would be good for people that do open woods riding IMO, but for tight woods I would stick with the EE handguards.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
I would think that it would bend your bars where the guard or bars are mounted, the standard style are mounted in two places which would add to stiffness. I like them as I am only an occasional woods rider but if I were full time I'd go with the traditional style mounted to the triple clamps.

Top Bottom