fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
I am leaving tomorrow to head west.  I am traveling to the National enduro in Texas and then on to Dirt Week.

I will talk to you when I return to Michigan.

C-YA!

CircuitRider

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 20, 2002
I GOTTA GET ME ONE OF THEM JOBS WHERE YA DRIVE THE BIG ORANGE BUS TO TEXAS, PIT FOR THE NATIONAL ENDURO CHAMP AND THEN GO ON TO DIRT WEEK !!!!!

TRAVEL SAFELY, SON,

DAD

Fred T

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 23, 2001
V-Man, Sally and I are headed out Sat morning. See ya all later!

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
You all have a GREAT trip and HAVE FUN!!! Watch those "armidillars" down there - they like to bite bike tires :)
Sounds like you R "SIEZING THE DAY"!!
Woodsy

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
What a great week.  I had the honor of driving Lafferty's orange rig from Michigan to Texas.  What a surprise to see Jim Hunt and Thom Dunn from Michigan arrive on Saturday.  I was able to work with Alan and Melissa Randt (the professional pit crew of Lafferty) on Sunday.

On Sunday night (after celebrating another Lafferty victory and a 5th overall by Leroy) I continued my trip to Dirt Week.  I was able to follow Buddy Walton from Pro Clean (aka Earthpilot on DRN) to Oklahoma.

We arrived at Cooperland on Monday morning.  What a thrill to pull in driving the orange rig.  Okie and Thump wanted the rig parked next to the big top, but I chose to park in the Michigan camp.  Unfortunately, it was raining and I was not able to ride on Monday.  Tuesday afternoon the rain stopped and we sloshed around some of the trails.

On Wednesday we helped with the hare scrambles track and did some more riding.  I was able to work with Guy Cooper to install some bridges over a river.  Guy was setting up a WORCS track and we were able to "break in" the trail.

Thursday brought more riding and better weather.  Freddie dominated the mini races on the XR 100.  We have video coverage of this event.  Unfortunately, I ended the day with a crash and a sore shoulder.

Friday was the team hare scramble and team PTP was pumped to pound the competition.  Freddie and I alternated laps until my shoulder began to give me problems.  Fred has to "iron man" the remaining three laps as I was unable to continue.  We finished 13th out of 50 teams, but the competition was much faster this year compared to 2002.  Fred and I helped with the scoring of the individual hare scrambles.  He was tired and my riding time was over.  Thanks to Randy and Sally we have video and photo coverage of these events.

Saturday is MX day.  Fred did very well in the bikes with lights race and finished fourth.  He was able to obtain some revenge on some smack talkers from last year.  Tim R and Buszbob were both very impressed with Fred's improved MX skills.  Again, Randy did a great job with the video.  A higlight of today was watching Guy Cooper and Doug Dubach do battle in the pro race.  Those boys flat fly on the big bore four strokes.  Dubach proved he is human with a HUGE get off - sorry NO video.

It was a great vacation!  Thanks to Randy and Sally for their hospitality and to Freddie for the excellent food.

I would recommend this event to all DRNers.  Yes, it is a long drive and a week away from school or work, but it is well worth the trip.  Many opportunities to go riding and a chance to meet fellow DRNers from other states.

MWEISSEN

Whaasssup?
Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 6, 1999
Sounds like you had a great time, Mike!

Is the shoulder what's going to keep you out of trailfest activities?

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
The trip was a lot of fun.  Well worth the drive time.

Yes, the shoulder injury will take 6-8 weeks to completely heal.  My riding season is over for 2003.  We are working on Trailfest to keep up the tradition of a fun weekend before the deer hunters "borrow" our wooods.

Smit-Dog

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 28, 2001
Fatherandson - Something looks a little out of whack with the front fender on the bike on the right in this picture. Did you have anything to do with this?! :eek:

Dirtweek%20'03%20014%20(Small).jpg

fatherandson

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 3, 2001
The bike on the left looks just fine!!! ;) ;)

The bike on the right needed some fresh plastic.  Unfortunately, it was dark out when Vic arrived from the airport.  I have a closeup picture that shows the whole story.

Top Bottom