someday

Jul 10, 2000
Three flat tires (two on my bike, one on son's) - thanks Red for helping on the first. Broken shifter on son's. Broken headlight surround on mine - gotta stop kissing trees. Overall not too bad.

Farmer John

T.C.F.<br>(tire changin' fool)
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 8, 2000
Let's see,
I changed 9 tubes (2 of my own), 3 tires (1 of my own), & heckeled Mully while he fixed his.
But the best repair of the week for me was my throttle assembly. I started sticking about 1/2 way thru my first hare scramble lap. It turned out to be a piece of bark that had gotten under the throttle tube :scream:

If you want to have some fun, try to pilot a CR250 that is set up for the west coast thru the trees while the throttle wants to stick on. Made for a few genuine depends moments. ;)

gnarlykaw

Sponsoring Member
May 20, 2001
did my share...

I started by having to get a brake lever on thursday for my sone DS80. not knowing that there was a suzuki dealer in effingham, i went to the honda dealer, and got a bargin one, and spent two more hours, and three beers, filing it down to make it fit! got thast working, then about an hour later, i see my son has not checked back in, so i go looking for him and find him pushing his bike up the GP track. This time the chain fell off. So I set up shop right there, and tried to get him going again, but in ther process, I broke a tensioner. he gets back to camp, and I found the chain had three cracked rollers! ok.......... made that run on friday morning, but this time, mully told me their was a suzuki dealer in effingham. only four more miles from the honda dealer. all is well till the night poker run, and i found something in the snot section of the trail, and lost my tube in the rear. no biggie, had a cruddy hand goin anyway. the volvo boys gave me a tube, and I had it back together for the photo shoot. mild stuff compared to two motors, and a couple of cases!:scream:

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
Add a clutch to my list. Thekid washed bikes tonight and when he went to dry his YZ85 off he complained it was slipping. No adjustment left so I pulled the cover and yep it is fried. Now I just gotta hope the dealers can get one in before the weekend:(

Firemedic530

Nov 12, 2000
SPD had enough problems for all of us Ohio riders. Dennis, this your last chance to tell on your own or we will help you out like we did all weekend:p Tim

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
gnarlykaw--Your boy sure looked like he was having the time of his life at Dirt Week. I don't think I saw that DS80 sit still longer than five minutes when it wasn't broke down.

I can't wait for our son (due in Dec) is old enough to ride. It is going to be a blast teaching him how to ride!! He will be about 9 months old for DW '02, do you think that is too young for a pw 50 with a throttle stop and training wheels? J/K

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
Damage Assessment

I finally washed all the DW crust off my bikes. The KDX is looking pretty scruffy. Both sides of the handlebars are pointing in the same direction. The left sidecover is flapping in the breeze, and ther'e NO paint left on the frame, swingarm, or forks. I need to spend some money on the thing or send it to a warm, loving home.

The YZ-F looks pretty good. The subframe is slightly tweaked, but it's nothin a big hammer can't cure. Same for the right footpeg. The plastic and stickers are lacerated and contused, and so is the frame paint. I guess it ain't new anymore. :(

I'm surprised that the YZ looks so good. After KC Big Dog's anti-gravity experiment, I figured it would look a lot worse. :p

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
Re: Damage Assessment

Originally posted by Julius Pleaser
I'm surprised that the YZ looks so good. After KC Big Dog's anti-gravity experiment, I figured it would look a lot worse. :p

Anti-Gravity Test Final Results:

Unfortunatley for JP'S bike and my ass, whoever coined the phrase "What goes up, must come down!" is still right.:scream:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
I got to watch Farmer John work on about a dozen tires (2 of them mine), tried to help GSR with another broken clutch lever, broke a bolt off of my footpeg, lost the spring on the kickstand, then lost the bushing in the mud, GSR has a leaking fork seal and I bent my already slightly tweaked Renthals in the team HS. Not bad :)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Re: Damage Assessment

[BThe KDX is looking pretty scruffy. Both sides of the handlebars are pointing in the same direction. The left sidecover is flapping in the breeze, and ther'e NO paint left on the frame, swingarm, or forks.
[/B]

justql's loafers (nite poker run boots) did that much damage?;)

gospeedracer

Chat Mom
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 8, 2000
Somebody say something about damage? :confused:
Check out what SPD did....

Attachments

• spdblowoutsm.jpg
    spdblowoutsm.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 204

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
The KDX suffered from the Team Harescramble debacle. I was at the helm (except for when I went over the bars) when most of the damage was incurred.

I had a little trouble seeing on the first and second lap. The roost was so bad that my entire bike and being were the same color as things commonly seen floating in toilet bowls. I'm inventing a windshield washer for goggles for next year's event. I'm working on a crotch rinser, too. Nothing says "chafing" like sand covering your sit-down area.

I set a personal best record of eleventeen crashes on the first lap. I tried to explain to Zimmerman what had happened, but all I could get out was "Tree". Sorry, Zim. I'm usually pretty good in the woods, and i'm at a loss as to how we finished 51st when there were only 46 teams entered.

I'm gettin a bigger bike (and maybe some tear-offs) for next year's event.

SPD--How'd you do that? I saw him on the GP track when it happened, but he wasn't saying much. :D

Last edited:

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
SPD--How'd you do that?

my guess was it's just that raw husqvarna power :eek:

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
I'm gettin a bigger bike for next year's event.

:D

Glad to hear you will have a different bike for me to be the crash test dummy on for next year!! It's not like my back hurts enough already!! Try to find a 2-stroke this time and the odds are much greater that I won't crash!!

Last edited:

JuliusPleaser

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
LOL! I'm looking at a WR426, so I can sandbag in the C and Headlight classes. You're welcome to ride whatever I get--just let me get the camera ready first!

I hope you don't suffer from thumperphobia forever...:p

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
I hope you don't suffer from thumperphobia forever...:p [/B]

That is very unlikely!! After riding a 125 2 stroke for so long it is going to be hard to make the switch to anything that you can't ride it like you stole it mentallity. I am sure on a bigger bike you can have the same mentality but it can get away from the rider a little easier.

KXKen

Jan 6, 2001
Damage assessment

Well my KX had no problems even though I dumped it a couple of times.
However my sons yz was not as fortunate. He suffered a clutch lever break (which I believe KC_BigDog_51 provided very generously) and a bent handle bar and footpeg after crashing in the main C Moto which put both of us out :( :( ...

In a final note I would like to thank the great group of people we where surrounded by in the "tent trash area". You guys where great man. Hope to see all of you next year.

KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
Re: Damage assessment

Originally posted by KXKen
He suffered a clutch lever break (which I believe KC_BigDog_51 provided very generously).

No problem Ken!! Remember you guys hooked me up with a spark plug or two which i totally forgot to bring any extras of. Even trade.

Top Bottom