KC_BigDog_51

Mar 25, 2001
Lets see a recap from everyone of all the emergency repairs that had to be done to keep the bikes going while at Dirt week.

I blew a fork seal Friday afternoon and decided to go ahead and keep riding instead of just having Jeremy repair it. After realizing my front brake was not going to work very well with fork oil all over it I whent ahead a bought a new seal from Jeremy. Thanks to Brett and Gomer for holding the flash lights while I tried to replace the seal in complete darkness. Now I can honestly say I can change a fork seal in the dark. Thanks for the help guys!

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Let's see I brought my KTM up knowing I had to replace the clutch actuator arm seal. Farmer John brought it from Cali and I had it swapped out pretty quickly. Had to spend a bit of time getting the flywheel/stator indexed then fired it up. Ran pretty badly so I checked the carb brass and it was as lean as I had. In there some how I picked up a boulder and the floats stuck open dumping gass out the vents. After a few cleanings all was well..... until I started it again.:( Then with Rich's expertise it was determined that the ignition side crank seal was gone. Seeing as I didn't want "to see God as I passed him at warp speed" we pulled then engine, wrapped in in plastic and deposited it in Eric Gorr's truck. It seems my KTM is co-dependent because it ended up not being alone for very long in Eric's truck but, that's a story better told by BusterWho or Thump. Oh and since the shock had to be removed to pull the mighty 360 Jeremy took that with him. On a positive note I guess I go better fuel economy coming back sice I had less weight.:confused:

Then again just imagine how AWESOME my pumpkin will be after Eric and Jeremy wave their magic wands upon those pieces!:p

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Speaking of BusterWho... I spent the entire time hoping he didn't like 250F's ... :scream:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Ya' know I told him it was OK with ME if he took your 'F out when we were sitting around....:p

I'm just generous that way;)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
i was one of the lucky ones that got a flat. first lap of the poker run. after that, no problems.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I dont know where to start? First i lost some of my screws that hold on the plastic. It seemed like 1 for each piece was missing. I replaced them and locited the rest of them. Next was a seat bolt, Oh well the other one still held the seat down.

Then there was Thursday morning, I headed out the the GP track. As i rounded the 3rd turn i lost the chain roller. Flying into turn 4 i got alittle sideways and high on the bumpy section causing the chain to come off. It let some nice grind marks in the case and slammed the shifter lever down breaking out the bottom of the case, gouging the lever and bending the shifter shaft. Oil ran out the motor faster than hotdamn at the bonfire. :eek: Next comes the breaking of the exhaust bolt in the frame leaving it only connected at the motor and 1 bolt at the silencer.

Lots of JB weld and duct tape couldnt keep the YZ from spewing its fluids all over the MX track for the group photo. We almost got to findout if a screw driver handle makes a good chain roller. Well that's about it for me until i get the case split and see what esle i did to the bike.

Also lost my shower bag while it was sunbathing on the fence post!
:think

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
I did get some nice black marks on the bottom of the Gas Gas fender. I kept hearing a strange sound when I landed. Having never ridden an MX track before I ddin't know what bottoming a bike out sounded like.:eek:

nikki

Moto Junkie
Apr 21, 2000
Well - Red was also a victim of the slashed tire from the Thursday poker run. So we had a mini tire/tube changing shop in our trailer... changed Red's and helped a few other riders out too. Red blew out both fork seals Thursday too (but of course that didn't stop him from riding) - I'm bringing Jeremy the forks tonight.

I also helped out the guy from PA who crashed so hard Thursday on the MX track that he blew out his pants (!) with a shifter lever.

I myself was sidelined after 2.5 laps on the Thursday poker run from smacking into a boulder, going over the bars, and landing my kidney/back on something hard :( What a bummer not to be able to join in on the riding. Especially after looking forward to DW for months and months. All in all - it was still a good time. :)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Originally posted by Tree jumper

Lots of JB weld and duct tape couldnt keep the YZ from spewing its fluids all over the MX track for the group photo.

were you the one with the funnel and the bottle of oil? :scream:

Offroadr

Ready to bang some trees!
Jan 4, 2000
Originally posted by Tree jumper
I dont know where to start? First i lost some of my screws that hold on the plastic. It seemed like 1 for each piece was missing. I replaced them and locited the rest of them. Next was a seat bolt, Oh well the other one still held the seat down.

Then there was Thursday morning, I headed out the the GP track. As i rounded the 3rd turn i lost the chain roller. Flying into turn 4 i got alittle sideways and high on the bumpy section causing the chain to come off. It let some nice grind marks in the case and slammed the shifter lever down breaking out the bottom of the case, gouging the lever and bending the shifter shaft. Oil ran out the motor faster than hotdamn at the bonfire. :eek: Next comes the breaking of the exhaust bolt in the frame leaving it only connected at the motor and 1 bolt at the silencer.

Lots of JB weld and duct tape couldnt keep the YZ from spewing its fluids all over the MX track for the group photo. We almost got to findout if a screw driver handle makes a good chain roller. Well that's about it for me until i get the case split and see what esle i did to the bike.

Also lost my shower bag while it was sunbathing on the fence post!
:think

And now everyone knows why you won the Flapping fender award

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Originally posted by mx547

were you the one with the funnel and the bottle of oil? :scream:

Yep that would be me! :cool: If i hadnt lost my shower bag i was going to fill it full of oil and run the shower hose into the case. Sort of like an IV for the bike! :p That way i could of made atleast one lap around the track on MY bike. :(

The motor had less than 10 hours on the freshly rebuilt top and bottom end. What a bummer, but i still had a blast meeting everyone and hanging out.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
Only trouble I had was 1.5 blown fork seals.

The one on the brake side was the worst, so I decided to change it Saturday morning before the MX (thanks, Jeremy, for bringing seals!). I was saying that "thing is the only thing I don't like about this Honda" since this would be the second set of seals on my '01, but here's the deal:
1. Per Jeremy, letting mud dry on the tubes, then riding will kill the seals. I do this some times...the woods get very muddy here!

2. Upon inspection, I found that the wiper was cocked sideways, I had removed it to clean underneath earlier in the week, then didn't get it back in all the way (the constant "dirt bike motor noise" was enough to make a guy want to ride, eh?). So, it was totally my fault, at this allowed dirt and sand to enter.

As far as the other seal that was leaking a bit, I called Cleo's Rastafarian Psychic Hotline on my cell phone, and we made a deal...my credit card bill will be horrendous this month, but it was all worth it!

She saw a change in my future (seal stopped leaking, that must be what she meant!)

sfc crash

Human Blowtorch
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 26, 2001
god blessed me with a broken front brake lever at the 1.9 mile mark on the team hare parade lap...THANK YOU BLESSED LORD! after about 4 wrecks up to that point and showing AJ the proper way to get a 426,high and centerd on a BIG root, up a rutted mud hill,while dismounted, using the rock and push,cuss'n swear,pin the throttle and run,method, i wasn't gonna argue with fate. my pride was broken a bit tho,when i did my final wreck at the power lines, i was laying on my back,looking up,taking a break,languishing in my totally exhausted state, enjoying it somewhat,realizing nobody was around for miles,when i noticed somebody pull into my perriphrial, on a kdx,looking down at me and ask"ya ok buddy". i always knew i had a guardian angle,but i never expected him to be a team green guy. i never got to thank that fella..thanks whoever you were. .oh well,broken pride heals up pretty well right after the first coors lite!:cool:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Blown fork seals, flat front tire, and a bent shift lever. Two vertibrae in my back not quite where they should be either. TreeJumper, I haven't seen a bike upside down like that since I was a kid working on my bicycle.:p Nikki I hope you get to feeling better soon, "I feel your pain!"

oldguy

Always Broken
Dec 26, 1999
I got off really lucky considering thekid burned up over 10 gallons of gas in 2 1/2 days. he blew a rear tire- which we replaced off the YZ80 we brought along for sale.
My bike just had a clutch lever and perch break off (AJ saved the day with a spare from his trailer) after blowing over while helping out with the womens MX. Worst part is my helmet was hanging on the bars and when I rode up to see if anyone had a spare my helmet really felt strange- the broken part was inside and put a nice slice in my scalp:think .
I guess the worst developement of the day was when I fouled a plug and thekid brought me a wrench and plug. Later that night when I pulled off my boot (which was starting to hurt) I found not only the wrench but my spare truck keys inside:confused:

Hogwylde

Aug 1, 2001
Broke my rear fender off thursday after looping out on the MX track. Stitched it back on with a drill and cable ties 15 min before Nikki's moto. Folded it under during the team hare scramble friday (either from the mud packed under it or dumping it in the woods) and rubbed a nice 12 in scar in it. Ripped it off to finish the race, then drilled more holes and re-stitched it back on. Noticed tonight that the rear tire is flat now, and Eric Gorr thinks I'm losing/lost the wrist pin bearing in my top end. At least I got to ride it the whole time.

Nikki, what boulder did you hit??? I dont remember seeing one, just lots of trees and mudholes!!!

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
ROTFLMAO Oldguy!!!

I ending up breaking a clutch lever by falling over after by bike was stopped.

Bent the bars up, got a nasty dent in my NEW pipe and blew the left hand fork seal during my clinic on "What happens when landing on your noggin" but no flat tires for me.
How many flats did we end having? At last count I heard it was up in the 20"s

tx246

~SPONSOR~
May 8, 2001
lets see...............i stayed off the ground until the C mx final on lap 2. ran into a riderless bike at a yellow flag and i bailed off of mine. for an instant i was going faster than my bike (endo). i came up with some bruises but intact. i picked up my bike to restart but my clutch perch said i dont think so. other than the clutch perch, i lost both fork seals too. jeremy had the parts and i will be doing a seal job sometime this week.

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
Sfc-
lol ..now i know who that was - :)
dont worry you certainly were not the only one struggling in that section around my check.Wardy, motoparts and I had as much fun watching as you guys did riding ;)

oldguy ..LMAO!
we would tie a string on your finger to remind you to check boots and helmet for foriegn- but much needed- objects before you ride..
but then you'd forget why that string was inside your riding glove!! :p

CAL

Sponsoring Member
Jul 19, 2000
I made it damage free. But one of the guys with me (DDowdy) didn't do so well.

We rolled in Thursday morning and started gearing up for the day's ride. He quickly noticed that he had FORGOTTEN HIS HELMET! He made a trip to a dealer about 45 minutes away and came back with a new helmet. Later that day, he went down in the woods and destroyed his clutch perch. We had enough spare parts to get him back to the truck. He made another trip to a dealer and came back with the WRONG part. So we did some more rigging and got him going. Then Friday during the Harescramble, he got T-Boned by somebody and bent his bars, broke his clutch perch(again), and bent his radiator. Needless to say he wasn't happy. He called it quits after the HS.

As for me, I never had a mechanical problem or hit the ground one time. I can't believe it!

slo' mo

slower than slow...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000
now here's where I can contribute!

I think I spent more time working on No_Mo's KX than I did riding. :think Started with the thing making an awful screeching noise after the HS. Pulled the clutch basket and filed it down and got the hooks out of the plates, but broke one ear of the pressure plate putting it back on. Hogwylde and Jeff Allen helped McGyver it back together with the used of DKBs drill and the Cannondale boy's file. Got it back together about dark and added new ATF, worked like a champ! He takes it out on the MX track and blows the back tire right before the nightime poker run. Got it fixed, only to have him take it back to the MX track and blow both fork seals endoing into a double.:think That was about my limit. I offered to let him ride my CR in one heat of the MX-C qualifier and I would ride the other. I think he was trying to spend more time trashing the bike in order to follow Okiewan's daughter around like a puppy. :silly: As for me, the CR performed like a champ. Too bad I can't say the same for it's rider. (Note to self: Dead-engine starts don't work well in MX races):think

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Thursday Dave got a flat on Lori's KDX and we had to fix it Friday morning. I actually felt lucky we didnt have to fix both tires multiple times like others. :scream:

I did punch a "small" hole in the clutch cover of the KDX Saturday afternoon while pulling down the arrows and had to tow the bike back. Gotta love the KDX for giving me 3 hard days of riding and break down 2 hrs before dark on the last day.

It was an overall "lucky" weekend for me. ;)

rwcwoh

Mar 1, 2000
SPD are you out there?.........Dirt Week Repairs?
Dennis you are going to get writers cramps on this one!!

I sure hope your computer was'nt made by Husqvarna too! :p

smb_racing

Master of None
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 31, 2000
well I was fortunate enough to make it through the weekend with only a flat front tire. I believe this was due to dennis' bike taking all the bad kharma away from the rest of our bikes. (Except for maybe shaun's, I hear he locked his up?)

Top Bottom