KC10Chief

Oct 10, 2004
I'm getting ready to buy my first off-road bike. Most likely a Honda CR250 or something similar. I was curious how you guys transport your bikes? I drive a Chevy S-10 pickup, but I don't know anybody else that rides. Is it possible to load and unload a bike myself if nobody is around to help? I'm about 6'1" 200 pounds and in good shape. Will I need a ramp to get it into the bed? Once it's in the bed, how do you secure it? I'd imagine I would need to lock it up if I'm not going to be around and it's in the back right? We also have a Chevy Tahoe. Do they make some sort of rack that will plug into a receiver hitch and will hold a dirtbike? I figure a dirtbike is plenty light enough for the receiver hitch to hold it. Also, if we are towing our travel trailer with the Tahoe, is there a way to attach the bike to the trailer? Sorry so many questions. I can't seem to find a clear answer when doing a search! Thanks! Matt in Oklahoma

Moteaux

Professional Mud Tester
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 30, 2001
--->Receiver Hitch Hauler<--- There are others, this is just one example, but you can find them on the web and look in the bike of dirt related MC mags.

As for loading a bike in the back of the truck, an S-10 should pose no problems. A single ramp helps, but a bi-fold works better. You can either walk it up beside the bike on a bi-fold or some people (myself included) ride them up those types of ramps. --->Bi-Fold Ramp example<---

As for security, I try to not leave mine in the back of the truck un-attended more than absolutely necessary. Tailgate locks help and I would maybe use some type of chain and cable lock. Maybe others have some more advice about security.

Adding in here. If you could put a receiver hitch on the back of the travel trailer, you could put a receiver rack on there. I see this many times at races.

Hope this helps! :cool:

Moteaux!

Last edited:

shnalln

~SPONSOR~
Nov 11, 2002
KC10Chief said:
...Once it's in the bed, how do you secure it? ...

Go to the automotive dpt in wal-mart or someplace and get a set of motorcycle tie downs. I don't particularly care for the ratchet type and instead opt for the quick release. They even have some with built in soft ties...anyway, hook 'em on to the handle bars an suck the front suspenstion down with the straps (not all the way down, just enough so the bike wont fall over taking a turn and such). Some people put an additional strap across the rear tire for extra security (Keeps the rear end of the bike from jumping around on rough roads)...among other mishaps...
I think this is what you wanted to know, if you already knew...well... :cool:

Top Bottom