Status
Not open for further replies.

RedWingDS

Sep 23, 2003
dirtrider.com and dirtrider.net
anyone know if the 2 are affiliated in any way ?
just curious

Red

"dirtbiking good clean fun"

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Dirtrider.net is in no way related to that lame rag masquerading as a magazine or their equally lame website. ;)

RedWingDS

Sep 23, 2003
well fluffy bunny rich dont hold back tell us what you reall think , ;o)

Red

"dirtbiking good clean fun"

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Asked! Answered!  Next question. :flame:

JPIVEY

Sponsoring Member<br>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Rich, you're getting soft in your old age

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
I forgot to add as my ole buddy Harveee used to say "Kenny is a fat-assed mama's boy" :confused:

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
LMAO, I spoke too soon :laugh:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
...and a bonus, personal commentary! :p

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
I have just subscribed to Dirt Rider. Whats wrong with it, and what would be your recommendation ?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by muddy226
...what would be your recommendation ?

Use it to paper train a puppy. :thumb:

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
Dang, Even I did think you would go that far, I mean It's one thing to use your cat for a fuel additive, but to force your dog to poop on Dirt Rider is a little over the top; My Gawd man, how would you feel if he turned around to look at his artwork and just happened to read an article.......................I shutter too think about it

Last edited:

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by JPIVEY
My Gawd man, how would you feel if he turned around to look at his artwork and just happened to read an article.......................I shutter too think about it

My guess is he would NEVER think about making house deposits in the future for fear of repeating the experience. :confused:

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
So what is wrong with it ? Obviously I am missing some history or something, but I was rather hoping that some-one could offer a reasoned critique, along with a sound recommendation for an alternative, which deals exclusively with dirt bikes. Thanks

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
In short the magazine is nothing more than a catalog with no real substance. The few "tech" articles they run are usually nothing more than a rehash of the same info that is in the service manual. Nothing but some simple black and white pictures with as little text as possible. They rarely provide any information that would help the average rider truly understand ANYTHING about their bike, but they will be happy to tell you how to bolt on a bunch of shiny parts. Of course making them actually work as a cohesive system is beyond the scope of these magazine posers.

A good alternative would depend on what you are looking I guess but it's my personal opinion that none of the major dirtbike magazines provide any real insight other than Racer X. They have wisely focused on more of the personality side of the sport, and do an excellent job of covering it. The rest of the major mags aren't worth the paper they are printed on, unless you enjoy looking at pretty pictures. I can't deny that they do an excellent job of photographing the sport.

None of these mags choose to provide the insight that DRN or any of the other good webites do. I'll leave it to you to decide if it's because they are too lazy or too stupid. :thumb:

JPIVEY

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 9, 2001
There really isn't anything wrong with it, Just as Rich said, you can find an abundant amount of info here or anyother good site, plus the same amount of opinions on the subject, most of which are unbiased.

Mags are nothing more than 100 plus pages of advertising with a little tech info that they probably got from here or somewhere else on the internet.

On the other hand Hi-Torque Publications can Kiss my :moon: and that's for personal reasons

muddy226

Sponsoring Member
Sep 14, 2003
Well, thanks for that, I only subscribed because I was fed up with over-priced UK mags which although entertaining and a good read for the adverts and race reports seemed to be bit off the target for sound product reviews etc., for new bikes in particular where every year similar words seemed to be re-cycled for each new model, rather amusingly sometimes as a wonderful bike which fulfilled my every need suddenly seemed to have several fatal flaws as soon as the new one came out.Sometimes even the poor points from last years model which had been fixed for this year were the very features which had been lauded in last years test, e.g last year " controllable roll-on power which doesn't suddenly fling 40 horses at the rear wheel " to the next year where the new model offers a huge improvement to "last years light switch power delivery which was more suited to expert pilots". Ho hum, I suppose mags are the same the world over. One thing which I will say which is relevant to a denizen of the UK is that the ads in US mags are useful in sourcing easily shippable parts and other bits and pieces at prices which are vaguely justifiable, most things seem to be the same number of $ as they are £ in the UK. At least the mag is relatively inexpensive.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by muddy226
At least the mag is relatively inexpensive.

So is toilet paper, and it's way more useful . ;)

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
From what I hear, 'Dick Richie' has a whole pile of Dirtrider magazines in his loo, only thing is, its like the seinfeld episode, where George can't get rid of a book - he just can't get rid of the darned things, them books are red flaged, alarms go off, the library does not want them, not even his closest friends (and not so close friends) want them - it's like he is cursed to forever carry those dirtrider mags with him .... aah well, at least they are in the loo, good for a laugh, and emergency toilet paper when needed.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Dirtrider is so bad/lame/uninteresting these days I don't even page through it at the newstand. It was a really fun and useful magazine before the fat-assed mama's boy got his mits on it, but now it's just a tired useless rehash of old news and press releases. :(

As bad as it is even MXA warrants the occasional magazine rack scan and the corresponding series of WTF? how can these guys print stuff this stupid ? comments that always follow. I still get a kick out of watching moms grab their kids and hot foot it out the magazine area as junior asks "Mommy, why is that man so mad at that magazine?" :)

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Money better spent would be a subscription to DirtRider.Net!

Way more useful and current information, real tech advise from people that actually know what they are talking about and 10s of thousands of new friends.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
Yes I screwed up! It's lame and useless. But every good crapper needs new materiel to read and laugh at! Also Dirt Bike sucks big ones too! But they just keep coming, at least a few more months.
Rich what's your feeling on trailrider off the East Coast? I really like it for the woods riding tech.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by 70 marlin
Rich what's your feeling on trailrider off the East Coast? I really like it for the woods riding tech.

I've never had the chance to see it but I have no doubt that Paul Clipper still cares enough to do it right. :thumb:

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
It's pricey @ $27 but it's a must to stay up dated on the enduro racing stuff. He runs some good articles for inexperienced riders/racers to improve their skills. I've found them to be invaluable!

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
He learned at the knee of Super Hunky so it's no surprise that he's cranking out a good product. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom