Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
The final push for nailing down the event starts now. We'll be adding events, event schedules, give-aways lists and more info over the next couple of weeks.

NOTE: If you plan to attend, register now! The drop-dead date for registration is August 27. That's August 27 in OUR hands, allow time for mailing.

For more info: http://dirtweek.com

And now for a little fun. Anyone who attended last year can be involved:

1) Post in this thread, a good story from last year's event. What you remember most, what made it great, why you're glad you went, about the trip to the 'fest, whatever...

2) The moderators and admins will vote on the "best" post, the winner get's free entry to DirtWeek 2001. If you have already registered and win the freebie, we'll send the fee back.

Waddayagot?

Added: If you weren't there, or don't plan to be there this year... no need to post.

Bill Hibbs

~SPONSOR~
Aug 25, 1999
Not to laugh at the misfortune of others but Randal's crash was just so funny!! :p Good thing he laughs about it too.

http://home.columbus.rr.com/coolpix/Randal Crash.jpg

Don't worry, he got up to get second place in the team harescramble. The night time Poker run was just amazing too. Get your headlights working now! Fun stuff, I'm really looking forward to this one.

Last edited:
B

biglou

It was cool.

Literally. We left 105 degree Kansas City weather and were greeted by a 72 degree Illinois climate. Myself and Agent Orange slept on an air mattress in the back of my truck. It got down to 41 degrees that night (I think). It wasn't a pretty sight: 500+ pounds of arse on a poor little air mattress, under an EZ-Up in a 6 foot truck bed. One of us would move and the other would flounder in his wake!
Plus, I sat in awe several times as Firemdic530 (DRZETim) absolutely FLEW that DRZ. I think he took 5th in the A-B MX race. Had Agent Orange run over my head in a creek bed in the woods. Rode down the gnarliest, most rutted downhill I think I have ever ridden to date, AND, I got to pass the infamous "Spodeless Bike" in my MX race! (I'm not going to mention any names!;))
Night time poker run: No headlight needed. Just take some duct tape and any near-death, dime-store flashlight, attach it to your front fender and you're good to go!
This year, I'm bringing name tags! Seriously. WAY too many faces and names to remember.
Far and away the absolute BEST time I have had since I started this obsession 16 months ago.:cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

JuliusPleaser

Too much of a good thing.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 22, 2000
BigLou, you KILL me!:)

Aside from getting there, my favorite part was the headlight class MX race. I was planning on taking it easy, but the gate dropped and I found myself hurtling toward turn one with my heart in my mouth. There were maybe 15-16 guys in my class, and I found myself in 7th or 8th by turn two. I managed to calm down and pace myself by pinning the throttle and fanning the clutch continuously. For a lap and a half, I postponed the inevitable by staying upright and somewhat in control. Finally, though, I dropped my XR4 in one of the turns by the finish line and got passed by two guys. The bike stayed lit (incredible!) and I got back by one of them pretty easily. The next two laps were spent in a heated, spastic battle with a guy on a KDX. (MikeB, I think?) I was running on pure adrenaline at this point. I remember getting past the KDX-mounted spode on the last lap and almost going over the bars whilst trying to execute a tail-whip over one of the jumps. I also remember KDX guy shouting some sort of epithet as I wheelied by. Of course, it could well have been an expletive. ;)

I think he was tired of smelling my clutch.

I may have placed as high as 9th, but at the finish, I was cackling like an mental defective. That was the most fun I had experienced in a loooong time. I can't wait for this year's event!

chadk01

Sponsoring Member
Aug 19, 2000
This how we came to be at MWSF 2000.

One afternoon I was talking to my neighbor (Tony) about riding motorcycles. He currently owned a 1996 KDX 200 and had been riding frequently for the last 2 years. He mentioned he was going to a motorcycle event that was being sponsored by dirtrider.net, a web site he was a member of. At this point, I knew I had to find me a motorcycle so that I could go to the event as well. A few weeks went by and I came across an old 1986 KDX 200 located up north. I decided to go have a look at it. As I looked at the bike, which was being sold for $400, I knew I had to buy it. I bought the bike and that night Tony came to check it out. I listened as he began mentioning items we needed to do....I.E., some new plastic, front and rear bearings. At first I thought to myself, "Damn, I just bought it I don't want to begin by tearing it apart." I came to realize this was the smartest thing we could have done. We got the parts ordered and put the bike back together. We went riding a couple times and it seemed every time we went, something happened to my bike. I was getting upset at first, however, I soon took the attitude that, well lets break it now and that way I will have a solid bike for the Spodefest. The next thing that happened almost pushed me to the point of pouring gasoline all over my bike and lighting a match. I was at home by myself and thought I would go riding, before I could even get my bike around to the front yard, the motor locked up on me. Talk about depressed!! Before I left for a wedding that night I called Tony and left the terrible news on his answering machine. I'm sure when heard the message he could tell I was a little distraught. That night when I arrived home, I noticed he had already came over to my house. picked up my bike, tore it apart and had found the problem. Long story short, new top end. He helped me coordinate getting the parts I needed and getting the cylinder to a shop which could drop a sleeve in it for me. Even after all the planning, I was still thinking there is know way we are going to have this thing running again in time for me to make it to spodefest. Little did I know. 2 days later the bike was up and running better than it ever had. One week before Spodefest we were riding at the Mt. Vernon King City Dirt Riders track and whamo! There goes my throttle cable. Now we had about 2 days to come up with something before SF. I ordered a cable and we were able to get it installed, however, during the process we realized my carb needed a new spring, as well as a couple other parts. It seemed only as it would get better it then would get worse too. We called Jeff Freddette and he was able to bring all the parts we needed to Spodefest. He arrived the same morning as Tony and I. Once we met up with him, we had the bike back apart and together again in no time. Then ofcourse, while at SF Tony (Being the A rider he is) placed 3rd in the Woodsbike MX race. Me well, lets just say my bike did not suffer any major damage while at Spodefest, however, I wish I could say the same for my body.
Spodefest was definitely a new beginning for me. The camping, the racing, the general riding was the best high I have ever had. I was hooked. 2 Months after getting home from Spodefest I purchased a 2001 KX 125. Since that purchase, all I have though about is getting back to SF (Dirt Week) and talking to Slow Poke Dennis, our great camping neighbor, and letting him check out the new ride. Had it not been for SlowPoke, Bone(Tony) and I may have froze each morning, but thanks to SlowPoke and the fire he had made, we survived. Before SF last year I had never heard of DRN and now, there is not a day that goes by which I do not log on and read some posts.

Last edited:

MrLuckey

Fire Marshall Ed
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Just ONE story?

Hmm. Well since Smitty and I got the holeshot and were the first spodes on the scene last year we did get to see 380EXCMAN pull up in the dodge neon after 3 days of driving with his trusty 380 in the passenger seat! I think the next day was when I was lucky enough to see Wrench fly by Jeff on the GP track and Jeff executed a perfect 10 'ninja turtle' get off. (That ones hard to explain but he went over the bars, feet striaght up for a second, then landed in front of the bike kinda spinning on the ground (all the while still hanging onto the bars). Lets not forget Wrench blasting into turn two on the MX track during Wardys MX school and almost highsiding, saving it and then going ahead and highsiding it anyway :) Then again, Smitty and I decided to ride the nighttime poker run together (he had a 2 watt flashlight taped to his fender I think) - at the checkpoint after the first or second lap his light was no more - Gomer was there to clean the mud off hi goggles while some others laughed at his lack of light and then said something about his quitting.... Gomer hands the goggles back and says "Pin it Sally" so Smitty nails it into the darkness... He stopped right before the trees and waited for my headlight :) Oh I guess I could go on and on with stories but the hands down #1 reason it was the time of my life was 113 other DRN riders and their friends and family. Along with that trip, the Reno ride, Big Bear this past weekend, Living in OK, the Muenster spodefest etc. I figure I have met over 200 people from DRN and still havent met anyone that I wouldn't love to ride with every weekend. TOO COOL! Oh yeah, I would be totally embarrassed if I forgot to mention the "Goon Riding" display put on by MX221 (Shane) :) Now THAT was funny!

Last edited:

SPD

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 20, 2001
Watching chadk stumble out of his tent wrapped in a blanket begging for coffee:p Meeting and watching everybody.It was great to put names with faces. Now when I see them post I still remember their faces.

Mikeb

~SPONSOR~
Jun 8, 1999
Man that is a tough one!

MANY good memories come to mind:

1. Picture a 200 + lb grown man sliding backwards down a hill while his bike gets major air up the hill without him. (Not to mentionany names --- GOMER)
2. Sitting around the campfire discussing enduro strategy with Jeff "theman" Fredette. How often do you get to talk to a living legend.
3. The nighttime poker run was INSANE. Imagine a KX rider sitting on the trail with no light and as soon as any bike with lights go by the KX would duck in and ride blind for a ways. (Not to mentionn names --- SMITTY)
4. And the headlight class MX race (if that is what you want to call it!) BTW If that was a Spastic SPODE on a KDX that would be me Julius.
5. Drinking Hot Damn with AJ by the fire. AJ is just way too cool.
6. Riding with 100 + new found friends. PRICELESS

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Some guy didn't stay to the right when crossing the creek and buried his KDX, then took a little swim. Do you know who that was...Mike? ;) :eek:

theshiftkid99

Posts Too Much
Mar 21, 2001
Damn you guys make me jealous!!! These stories and everything seem like something you guys will never forget!!! you are lucky, maybe you guys can hold a dirtweek in the great white north eh? I'll be your tour guide!:D

500+pounds of arse????hmmmm maybe there are somethings you shouldn't remeber! j/k

Shaw520

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 14, 2000
The long grassy straight, right before the sand hairpin,.... must have slipped my mind during the parade lap, cause on the first lap I hit that puppy pinned in 5th, the bike stayed in the sand, while I continued,... in a head over heals fasion, clear to the creek. Once I got up and figured out where my bike was,... I could hear BWalkers buddy LHAO on the side lines, Must of looked humurous from his point of view! Wish I had a picture of that! The whole week was a blast, where else can you camp and ride for 4 days straight! :)

Last edited:

Jeff Allen

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 23, 1999
Riding non stop for 4 days straight, Hill climbs for the camera with no film ( I'll meet you there TTRGuy:D ) The Flappin fender, getting to meet everyone and jonesen for the next "Spodefest" to come around again.
Definitely priceless!!

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
There were so many great things, and I've forgetten way more than I can List:
1. Gomer's practical jokes...one having my silencer plugged and after a few attempts at starting the 500 the plug blew "KA-POW" about 60 feet and almost nailed Jeff Fredette at his campsite.. he is yelling "INCOMING!!" lol
2.MX221 Shanes - Goon riding..LOL "classic"
3. Getting clothes lined off the TTR125 during the HS by the same grapevine I had laughed at "woodsrider " about for telling me he tackled.
4.Seeing Mikeb still in he creek after his " swimming with the KDX's" episode.
5.The "TTR125 verses CR250 duel" with Gomer on the GP track.
6.Pushing the TTR after the chain came off during the HS for over a half mile to the finish line..what was i thinking ? Its a lil bike but there are HILLS there. duh! lol
7. Actually being in 5th gear pinned on the GP track on the AF and BARELY passing "Pokie".. ( he was scaring me lol)
8. A groomed MX track for breakfast each morning.
9.A great fire for bench racing and cool videos each nite..( could have done without "naked Z 50 dude" lol)
10. Telling Taraker "matt" to "Hey just pin it,it will be fine" in a whoop section he was asking about riding technique on during the substitute teacher mx school :) and being a very poor teacher but actually seeing improvement in some guys cornering technique with them having just a few attempts at it with a few little pointers.
11.A great GP track race with "Offroadr" on his moded XR100 and the TTR, then we switched bikes and went at it again lol my ankles hurt for a week.
12. Sundays races with Jer and Gomer
13.( appropriate number) Watching "Wrench" crash in Wardys MX school..and countless other flapping fender head augers to earn him the "TrueSpode " award for "2000"
14. Walking down the finish line of the "woods class" mx race to do scoring (few had numbers --- i was scoring by ..red helmet KDX, blue jersey KDX etc lol)...the looks on those guys faces was priceless.
15. How many huge grins did YOU see in that week?

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
DW '01 Note:

Last year by this time, a LOT more people were signed-up! Come ya'll, I'm getting worried! Time is getting short! I've got to do the final deal with the land owner soon! I need a good idea as soon as possible of how many are coming so I know what we can afford to lease... meaning; the park costs on a per-day basis. Obviously if only 50 show, I can't afford to rent the place and we;ll have to share it with non DRN'ers!! No!!!!!

Get registered!

KelvinKDX

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 25, 2000
The MWSF2K:

Since this event there have been very few days if any that I do not at least log on to DRN to see what's going on.

I have got to say that this is really when I began to ride (again - as an adult any way). But most importantly - I began to see my wife in a totally different way during the MWSF2K.

She had just gone out and purchased herself a TT-R125L. I was really amased that she wanted to do the same thing that I did. During the SF she took to the GP course to learn how to ride. She was not too skilled yet but was persistant. She really admired some of the other female riders (gospeedracer, loriKTM, Scooter, ...) and valued their advise more than my screaming at her (I can't figure that one out!).:think

She has been riding ever since (minus down time for injuries).

The obvious things were great:

Being around some amazing riders and amazing people.

sitting around the campfire at night and meeting many new people as well as the ones who we knew from DRN but never really met.

THe Headlight MX that I WILL NOT GET LAPPED on this year.

The HS in which I rode with AJ; me on my wifes tt-r125l and he on his.

The Eric Gore porting job that Wendy won - and still has not used.

I can't wait until this years event to see some old friends again and to make new ones. As many have already said - Priceless!:cool:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
There were many bright spots for me during the MWSF. As I continue to bounce my head off things and memories float to the surface, I'll try to post them.

One such fond memory:

After administering a learnin' to me on the GP track with his TTR125, AJ and I were playing around on the MX track. With steeper hills, sharper turns, and deeper dirt, I was able to use my 4-to-1 power advantage to keep with him. As AJ was trying to grab my clutch while going uphill and I was trying to slap his front brake, MXTooner passed us on Speedy's RM125. At that point I said bye to AJ and took off after MXTuna. I stayed right behind him for a lap or two, but couldn't get past. Finally I decided to try to get by just after the finish line.

Leading up to the finish line is a set of gentle whoops, followed by a left turn with about a 4-5 foot tall bank on the right side of the track. I cut to the inside of the turn and went for the pass. As I drifted out and pushed MXWhiner into the bank (unintentionally, of course :p) neither of us were giving up. As we're both still on the gas and he's beginning to dig into the bank, he starts yelling at me,

IT'S NOT MY BIKE!! IT'S NOT MY BIKE!!

Definitely one of the most enjoyable passes I've ever made. :)

Last edited:

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I pulled up in the middle of the night, alone, jacked up on coffee, and noone to play with. I wandered around for a while, adjusting different people's motorcycles. ;)

In the morning, I found that I had parked behind Wardy. Now I had been talking a bunch of smack about beatin Wardy and AJ, but had never met Wardy. When he finally emerged from his camper (someone must have woken him while they were messing with his bike on the trailer behind it), I went over and introduced myself as Henry Johnson. I told him, "I hope you don't mind that I parked behind you. But don't worry, it's the ONLY TIME I'LL BE BEHIND YOU ALL WEEKEND!!"

He looked at me kinda sideways, like he was thinking, "Who is this fat boy and does he realize I'm grumpy until I've had my third cheeseburger in the morning?"

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Just one story?

Well, the best one for me had to be the parade lap for the team harescramble. I was chase riding and the first thing I saw was Mikeb and his KDX buried up to the front axle in the creek. Then came the uphill log crossing where Gomer's kid was stuck and chainsawing away at it with his rear tire. A dozen riders were waiting at the bottom for the trail to clear. I blasted up an alternate line over the log and helped Gomer's kid then had the perfect view of Bundubasher nailing a tree with his DRZ. He really lived up to his screen name that day. Finally there was the uphill off-camber trail through the trees that led up to the GP track. About half-way up a YZ400F was stalled out. Ol' taraker didn't look too happy when I pulled up behind him. Next thing I know he goes crashing down through the briars muttering something about not having difficult trails like that in Texas.

Last years MWSF was definitely a memorable event. Unfortunately due to various factors, way beyond my control, it doesn't look like I'll be able to attend this years event. :(

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Re: Just one story?

Originally posted by WoodsRider
Well, the best one for me had to be the parade lap for the team harescramble. I was chase riding and the first thing I saw was Mikeb and his KDX buried up to the front axle in the creek. Then came the uphill log crossing where Gomer's kid was stuck and chainsawing away at it with his rear tire. A dozen riders were waiting at the bottom for the trail to clear. I blasted up an alternate line over the log and helped Gomer's kid then had the perfect view of Bundubasher nailing a tree with his DRZ. He really lived up to his screen name that day. Finally there was the uphill off-camber trail through the trees that led up to the GP track. About half-way up a YZ400F was stalled out. Ol' taraker didn't look too happy when I pulled up behind him. Next thing I know he goes crashing down through the briars muttering something about not having difficult trails like that in Texas.

And that was just the parade lap! :scream:

Last years MWSF was definitely a memorable event. Unfortunately due to various factors, way beyond my control, it doesn't look like I'll be able to attend this years event. :(

Say it isn't so! You gotta show up. There's gotta be a way.
Hope to see you there.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Gomer Story:

This has got to be my favorite story. On Thursday, Lemming & I had been exploring with woods off and on with MonkeyButt and Mikeb. Mike and I were out riding around when we came upon 6 or 7 guys on MX bikes in the woods. Included in this group was Shane (MX221 and world class goon rider) and Gomer.

These guys seemd to think that Mike and I knew where we were going so they said: "We'll follow you guys." So we blast off in some unknown direction in a hurry. We're cruising along in one long frieght train at max speed when we drop down into this little valley. The conditions on Thursday were rainy, overcast and slippery in the woods.

The group came to a screeching halt as we looked at the various routes up the other side of the valley. So, we're all sitting around on our bikes with the engines shut off when Gomer fires up his CR and takes off like a banshee shot out of a cannon. He makes it 3/4 of the way up the impending bank and then steps off the back of his bike. The CR launches itself, riderless, straight up in the air and then executes a perfect Cory Hart immitation. Yes, Gomer was the first one to pull off the back flip! Gomer's feat has never been duplicated in FMX competition.

Whilst his CR was putting on a show for us, Gomer landed on his butt and proceded to slide backwards down the slope. A few riders almost fell off of their parked bikes from laughing so hard!

Gomer jumped to his feet before anyone had a chance to poke him with a stick. Amazingly, both Gomer and his CR were fine and we continued with our ride.

That's pretty much the way that I saw it. Does anyone else remember this event?

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
I knew that both I and the bike weren't going to make it, so I decided it was better to at least get the bike up there. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it!)

What sucked was a couple riders (Shane??, ??) followed right behind me and made it look easy.

wrench

'00 Flappin' Fender [Ret]
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 7, 2000
BASED on a TRUE story (some embellishment)

Gosh ... where to begin??

When GeorgiaBoy and I arrived from Atlanta, we knew that this was going to be something very different from anything that we had participated in before. After getting signed in by the owner of LTM, we drove down to the camping area. Immediately we saw this gigantic "Condo on Wheels" parked in the middle of the lot, flying an enormous DRN banner. This let us know that we would have to camp in the "projects", with the rest of the spodely paupers. There were several other DRN'rs that had there camps operational and were getting back from riding.
We kept looking back at the "mobile condo"and noticed how the rest of the DRN family were setting up all around it, like bee's surrounding the "Queen" bee. We began to unload our gear and introduced ourselves to the others there ... 380EXCman was our immediate neighbor (he really did get that KTM into a Neon! Accross the "courtyard" was Jeff Allen, TTR guy and Smitty. On the far side of this area was the NY gang (Shaw520 and clan), Boy did they have a setup that showed even food stamps could equal the purchasing power of the mighty DRN flag flying spode (who was still unknown at this time). These guy's know how to camp, they were equipped for any major catastrophe. GB and I continued to get things set up, when we heard a "soft" voice behind us say " Hi .. I'm THUMP" I was surprised,the last thing that I would have ever expected was that Thump had a lisp! But when he explained that he and TARAKER were cousins, it made sense.
Everyone was having a good time trying to guess who each other was before introducing themselves, engaging in a little bench racing and smack talk.
About this time we all heard the rumbling sound of a small diesel pig running around the "Condo" on the other side of the "valley". We could faintly make out a skinney figurine on the little TTR (after all, the projects were a great distance away from those other "Luxo-campers" types). This guy made his way over and introduced himself as Okie! He was running all over the place greeting everyone and making sure that we all got settled in ... just like a big 'ol teddy bear of a DAD.
Our camp was set up and it was time to get on the bikes and check the facillity out. The GP track was AWESOME, the MX track was a bit muddy due to the recent rain storms and the woods were great. Since we had arrived late in the afternoon, we did not have much time. More members had shown up while we were checking the place out and itroductions were made, dinner plans were sorted out (Thump broke out some good 'ol TEXAS chilli, which made for some close calls around the campfire) and everone migrated accross the valley to the "Eternal DRN campfire". This is where the "pro" bench racing was held (of course I was a competitor), and alot of friendships began. About 12 or 1 o'clock everyone decided to call it a night and return to their campsites.

That was just Day One!

When we got up in the morning we were amazed to see that a couple of guy's had erected a M*A*S*H unit in the middle of the night. It was none other than the Birmingham BUBBAS, Timr and Lemming. It was a bit chilly so some of the campers had allready started a fire and Thump was greeting everyone with morning coffee while sporting his new Pink chiffon woods robe. The mornings were some of the best times of the week because everyone had gone through some kind of metamorphosis and were instantly transformed into an extended family. Everyone was cooking and sharing breakfast goods. After breakfast, everyone would get suited up and hit their preferred type of riding. As the day passed, different members would get together to try the style of riding that the other enjoyed most. It was fantastic to see everyone getting along as if the were at some kind of family reunion, and had known each other for ever. The rest of the week was much the same as more people showed up and began new friendships. I could go on with more details but it was great experience for me, and I had the opportunity to meet a great many new friends. Besides, If I told you everything now ... there wouldn't be any stories from last years event to tell around the campfire this year.
I can't wait to hear all of the different versions of the "flappin fender", or why Wardy keeps fouling spark plugs in his 500, which enduro we get to watch on video from Jeff Fredettes helmet cam, Offroaders fried turkey, Okie and family's hospitality, what kind of Paris to Dakar bike will EGORR ride the MX track with, can Jeff Allen "top" his special dismounting proceedures, Goon riding by the master MX221, Hot Damn's with AJ and Jeremy,will the Midnight Z-50 guy remember to hide his "kickstand" this time ...well these are just a few of the great memories that I have. It would take a couple of weeks to try and recall everything.

So, what did the MWSF '00 mean to me? Simple .... That in this screwed up world that we all live in, there is the hope that people of different backgrounds and status in life can get together and make a difference in each others lives. If not only for a week but in my case ... a LIFETIME! All derived from the vision of one man to create a catalyst in life for people that share a common bond can get together on a daily basis and know that not all is that bad in life.
I would not trade these memories for a kings ransome, rather I will cherish them for the rest of my days.

I hope this is enough to hold everyone over until the next campfire chat session, if it is at all possible I will try to see you all there again this year. :)

wrench
"Truespode MWSF '00"

Last edited:
Top Bottom