BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I was wondering if one of our sponsors or members would like to do a "clinic", how-to type of demonstration. Specifically, a top-end replacement. The Mamba is about ready for a top end and it would be pretty neat to have the top end done at Dirtweek. I would spring for all of the parts. I would like to see a "pro" do it and give a play by play naration of the process. Is this possible? Would anyone else be interested in have a clinic of this type?
Everyone of two strokes has to go thru this at one time or another so it would be really helpful to members. Post what you think.

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
I think its a great idea! Of course i have to do my first top end rebuild before DIRTWEEK. :( Otherwise i wont beable to ride then. It is a good idea and something i would like to see.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
As bruised up as I am and as hot as the weather is getting here I probably won't need to do my top end till Spode...uh...Dirtweek. (See Ride reports for the ugly facts).

justql

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 23, 2000
Mary Lou Retten.

I hear Olympic gymnist Mary Lou Retten will Be teaching dismounts there.:p

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Mary Lou!

Get Shannon Miller and I'll sign up!

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I'll mention the top-end demo to Eric.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Cool

Have Eric get in touch with me ahead of time so I can get with him on parts/cost. This would be OH SO COOL!:)

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
Re: Mary Lou Retten.

Originally posted by justql
I hear Olympic gymnist Mary Lou Retten will Be teaching dismounts there.:p

i thought that bswift might be teaching dismounts.:p

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Re: Re: Mary Lou Retten.

Originally posted by mx547

i thought that bswift might be teaching dismounts.:p

Now thats funny! ;) I think it should be a combo hand stand/dismount class! :confused:

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Ha!

I'm working on keeping my feet straight for the next time, if there is a next time. Thump, Sawblade needs a avatar, whatever it is, it needs to be surrounded by a Ceder tree. A good roosting is coming your way.....:p

mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
hey bswift, sawblade might come racing with me this friday nite. if he shows, i'll try to throw a little roost at him for you.:)

Jun 27, 2000
Thats what I would like to see is a four strk. Get a top end job. I think everyone has done a two strk. Although im sure we could all still learn somthing. Four strk. I dont have a clue. :confused:

KLX4smoke

LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 16, 2001
Wow, this thread is the sneakiest way I have ever heard of to get free mechanic's labor! You DRN'ers are sure smart! Hey, can anyone fix my broken 3rd gear, just to "demostrate"?:p

Treejumper

2 wheeled idiot
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 9, 2000
Hey not everybody knows how to do a top end on a 2 stroke! :( I've been riding off and on for over 20 years and dont know how. Never had too! :)

As for a 4 stroke top end rebuild, i didnt think they ever needed one. ;) My 82' XT 250 has been beat to death for the past 11 years i've owned it and the bike hasnt ever had a single thing done to the motor, clutch, tranny, brakes, etc. and still runs. I admit it doesnt run like it use too and isnt as pretty, but she still is the most reliable bike i own. :) I do have to be dragged around the yard for 30 mins each spring to get her going, but doesnt everyone have to do that? :p I'm sure we could find tons of things to demostrate on it.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Originally posted by YZ Freak
I would probably be willing to pay for parts and labor if some one would to a four stroke top end rebuild for a clinic.

That's pretty damned magnanimous of you. Don't hold your breath :)

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
We're just ribbing him because he said he'd PROBABLY pay for parts and labor. Try rebuilding your sense of humor :)

YZ Freak

Jan 12, 2001
Wow , you guy's can be vicious. Maybe I should clear the air about this whole 4-stroke rebuild thing. First of all, I don't know were else I could go to see a top end rebuild on a 4-stroke. I have asked the local shop if I could watch one but they said that they didn't want any one standing over their shoulders, which I can understand. Second, I'm new to this sport and I'm still in the learning process and rebuilding a top end is a little to much for me to be doing by myself. I apologize for saying"Probably" I didn't mean it like it sounded. I planned to get a top end rebuild this winter and I just thought I could probably come up with the money in Sept' rather than Feb. if some one was willing to do it. I AM NOT TRYING TO GET SOMETHING FOR FREE! I want to learn how to do a rebuild and in the process other people can learn at my expense. Sure, I'll provide the bike and get a rebuild out of it but I'll also be the one paying for it. The way I see it is every one wins. Some of you guys remind me of some of the A and B riders at the local track. I'll let you take that one how ever you want to.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Unfortunately a racetrack is no place to do a live rebuild on an engine as complex as the YZ400F, or ANY engine IMHO. Eric and I have been talking about doing a How To video on rebuilding the YZF and possibly a day seminar. If it comes together we'll let you guys know.

Top Bottom