DirtWeek Cook Book

Tony Eeds

Welcome Wagon
N. Texas SP
I want everyone that is willing to post the recipe for the goodies they served at the Dirt Week pot luck (or any other recipe they are willing to share).

Jenny and I have discussed putting together a cookbook and we promise that you will not have to squat over a log fire or stand in front of a 6 foot grill to capture the spirit of the dish.

so ... post them up!!

biglou

I'll go first:

Recipe #1, "Peanutbutter w/honey on wheat". Take one jar of Jiff peanutbutter w/honey already blended in, spread liberally onto slice of wheat bread with plastic knife, spoon, or stick from tree. Fold in half. Eat.

Recipe #2, "Styrofoam Plate". Go to grocery store, buy styrofoam plates. Walk over to Camp Tejas. Watch the magic happen... :yeehaw:

Green Chile (at least 8lbs and must be the really good kind only available in NM)
Meat (at least 12lbs any kind preferably fresh)
Garlic (lots of it)
Onions (big ones)
Taters
Salt
Cumin (not too much)

Cook in giant pot, tasting frequently, until done. Don't forget to drink Negro Modelo while watching it cook.

- a d v e r t i s e m e n t -

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
You aint kiddin Lou. The next morning in the tower bathroom, I was cryin like a little girl. Wes that stuff was HOT!!! :cool:

:( :uh:

Tony Eeds

Welcome Wagon
N. Texas SP
ChopperDave said:
Wes that stuff was HOT!!! :cool:

:( :uh:
Wes toned it down quite a bit from last year ... ;)

The chili was great Wes, but for some reason I didn't recieve the second burning.....

Patman

Pantless Wonder
Yup Wes finally made some almost manly chilli this year. Needed a litle more heat but overall it was very enjoyable to eat, especially with the tortillas. :cool:

Sour Cream Noodle Bake
8 oz. pkg. medium egg noodles, 1 lb. ground beef, 2 tblsp. butter, 1 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp pepper, 1/2 tsp. garlic salt, 8 oz. can tomato sauce, 1 cup cottage cheese, 1 cup sour cream, 10 green onions 3/4 cup shredded cheddar

Cook noodles according to directions, rinse and drain. Brown meat in butter, add salt, pepper, garlic salt, then tomato sauce and simmer 5 minutes. Combine cottage cheese, sour cream, sliced green onions and noodles. In a 2 qt casserole begin layering the noodle and meat mixture beginning with the noodles and ending with the meat. Top with the cheddar cheese and bake at 350 deg. for 30 to 40 minutes.

Matt, NM residents are exempt from the second burn.

Pat, Andria is responsible for the most excellent tortillas.

Dave, I heard you in there so I stayed out.

Tony, Lou says two years ago was the hottest.

Last edited:

mafols

Sponsoring Member
It's hard for me to put this down as a recipe....because I rarely "measure" anything while cooking(...sorry, it's a Cajun thing). I generally measure by looking to see how much is in the pot :laugh: Besides I doubt many would be cooking 4 gals. at a time anyway...I'll list the ingredients...you be the judge.

Smoked Pork Sausage
Chicken(leg quarters work best)
Lean Pork i.e. loinchops
Pork tasso

Onions
Garlic
Bell Pepper
Celery
Parsley
Shallots

Salt
Pepper
Tony Chaceries Creole Seasoning

Rice, Bud lite :nod:

Boil chicken to be de-boned and save broth. Cook sausage,Tasso,pork, until tender, then add boneless chicken.Add all vegetables and spices and simmer for 15-20 minutes.The broth(or water) to rice ratio is usually 2:1...yes I do have to measure that. Add broth, Bud lite and bring to boil,add rice and cook for about 5 minutes. Lower fire and cover to steam rice 20-25 minutes. Once covered do not opened to look at,check,smell,etc. until time is up...take it by faith.
Glad everyone enjoyed :cool:

Matt