nc99kdx200

Jul 20, 2003
Depressing topic but I have to ask:

I'm in the process of trying to update a disability policy that I've had for a while. In doing so, I have learned (no suprise here) that I'm not covered while entered into "race" events. For me, this is a MAJOR concern. My agent doesn't seem to know how to handle the whole situation. They seem to just want to exclude my riding. I don't.

I just have to believe that I'm not the only guy in the world who has this issue. Does everyone who races a local harescramble, enduro, motocross -- you get the picture -- do so at the risk of not being able to provide for their family should the unthinkable actually happen????? I just can not see this being the case.

Can anyone offer any insight on how to get or who may offer a disability policy that does not exclude our sport???

P.S. - I checked with AMA and they offer insurance like this, but it is only for AMA sanctioned events. 99% of what I enter is local and not AMA sanctioned.

Thanks for any help.

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
I wasn't aware that the AMA offered personal liability ... are you sure that's not liability for the promoter/track owner?

Good luck finding someone to cover you, of course you could go with Lloyd's of London, they'll cover anyone.

High Lord Gomer

Poked with Sticks
Sep 26, 1999
Motorcycling and/or racing were not explicitly listed in the exclusions of our disability policy through work. I did have to answer more questions when getting life insurance, but it still went through, especially when I put an average speed of 25 mph.

Keep in mind that enduros are not races...they are timed events, if that is what you do.

Also make sure any disability insurance is paid for with after tax money...not pre-tax.

Hondaxrguy

May 17, 2001
Have you tried Aflac? When I signed up, I specifically asked about dirtbiking and racing and he said anythings covered as long as it's not illegal. I've made several dirtbike related claims and never had any problems. I even put the "reason" as dirtbiking.

Jeremy

nc99kdx200

Jul 20, 2003
Now that you mention it, I've probably seen that annoying duck commercial (Aflac) about 100 times. Still, I didn't even think of them. Thanks. I think I will give them a call. :thumb:

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
If the agent doesn't know, ask him to call the insurance company and get more info on what the specifics of this exclusion are. It may not apply to certain types of amateur racing.

And shop around for similar coverage from different carriers. If your agent is a captive type, like if he works for Farmers, you'll want to do some shopping for sure. Disability Insurance is tricky stuff. I wouldn't trust my auto/homeowners agent to it.

Some reputable companies to look for are The Principal, Unum Provident, Guardian, and maybe Fortis.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
You did, huh? I heard XRP, Male Prostitut, was looser than the slots at the Peppermill. As in all wallered out.... sort of like the waistband on BigLou's old BVD's. And just as stained up. And greasy. From all the lube. And messy from the litter left by all the spelunkers. Spelunkers is slang for men who like to explore dark caves. Caves with moss covered entrances. And graffiti that says "Carlo was here" and "So was the rest of the SoCal Wrecking Crew" and "Carlo came back to find his watch". And the Department of the Interior wants to creat a National Monument there. And start charging $5 a head. Because $.50 is too cheap.

zio

Mr. Atlas
Jul 28, 2000
Yeah, I know. :) And I meant what I said in a good way, too. $.50 is too cheap. You're practically giving it away.

Top Bottom