dezzy13

Feb 15, 2006
This may sound like a silly question, but here goes.

How do most of you dispose of old premix gas? I have about a quarter of a gas can of old premix gas and I want to mix up a fresh batch because I don't want to run the old stuff in my bike. What should I do with the old gas that's in the can???

Also, I have been accumulating old trans oil after my oil changes in a plastic jug. It's about to be full and I was wondering if anyone had any reccomendations on where I should properly dispose of this oil. Any info will be greatly appreciated!
Thanks in advance! :cool:

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
When I had a two stoke I used to run old premix through my riding lawn tractor. As for the oil, take it to a Wal-Mart that has a TLE, they will take used oil to be recycled.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Premix goes in the Jeep. Some people won't run it in their cars, but I have done so for years and (knock on wood) have never had a problem. A gallon or two mixed with 15+ gallons in a truck tank gives you a huge premix ratio.

1 gal of 40:1 mixed with 20 additional gallons of gas gives 640:1. Heck, I've run my Jeep on basically straight premix when in a bind before (almost out of gas, had 5 gal of premix, voila, no longer almost out of gas. That trailhead was way farther out than I planned for!).

As for transmission oil, most auto parts places will dispose of oil for free. Back "home" in Michigan there were tons of businesses that would take it to burn for heat in their oil furnaces.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
I'll mix in a gallon or 2 of premix with about 8 gallons of gas and burn that in my truck. It can't be good for cats, but if you don't have them, burn away.

2strokerfun

May 19, 2006
First I fill up the gas can for the weedeater. Now, I'm NOT a polluter, so I would NEVER use my old gas for weed control at various places along my fence once my weedeater gas can is full. I would also NEVER put it in an open bucket to evaporate because that would be WRONG. Oil is easy. We have a bunch of city sponsored drop off sites open 7 days a week. Take it to them and pour it out.
I won't run pre-mix in either of our vehicles, or even my lawn mower. So where it goes is still a mystery. Luckily, between my bike and weedeater, I really don't have a lot left over.

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
76GMC1500 said:
I'll mix in a gallon or 2 of premix with about 8 gallons of gas and burn that in my truck. It can't be good for cats, but if you don't have them, burn away.

Premix will not harm cats. There are many two strokes on the market right now that run the same catalytic convertor materials as automobiles.

I've read that it can harm O2 sensors, but have never seen any facts to back it up. I've (knock on wood again) never changed an O2 sensor in any of my vehicles. I think the concentration would have to be pretty great and you'd have to run it all the time to get it to cause a harmful buildup.

76GMC1500

Uhhh...
Oct 19, 2006
adam728 said:
Premix will not harm cats. There are many two strokes on the market right now that run the same catalytic convertor materials as automobiles.

I've read that it can harm O2 sensors, but have never seen any facts to back it up. I've (knock on wood again) never changed an O2 sensor in any of my vehicles. I think the concentration would have to be pretty great and you'd have to run it all the time to get it to cause a harmful buildup.

Modern 2-stroke outboards have o2 sensors, I believe. It's so diluted by the time you put it in your gas tank, it doesn't really matter.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
Pre-mix goes into the van or motorhome although I always do it shortly after a fill so there is a large amount of fuel to mix with. We have Oil and Solvent recycling barrels in the Boiler room at work so the oil and solvents come to work with me.

larosche

Apr 20, 2000
I don't agee with the idea that using old gas and oil on weeds is bad for the environment. The city recycles oil here so that is not an issue.
When I clean my air cleaners with old premix I use the dirty gas to kill the weeds in the concrete cracks. It cannot be worse than the big time chemicals my neighbors use for weed control (Chem Lawn). Someplace has to produce the weed killers. They are oil based products.

Bakemono

Apr 21, 2007
Dump your old premix in your lawnmower or in your car/truck. Dont run too much premix in your car because the oil can mess with the catalytic converter, but 1 gallon of premix with 20 gallons of straight gas wont hurt a thing.

Top Bottom